Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecialGreg

Reaction score
Ok so has anyone else noticed this white slimy residue that is left behind from soaking something for to long in star San. What is it? Is it bad? Idk has me concerned and makes me want to switch sanitizers.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

I've never really noticed that. Sometimes my tubing will become cloudy if I let them sit in it for to long. I also mix my star San with distilled water so it doesn't become cloudy.

I've been looking into getting some Starsan , reading here and there, and it seems that any residue is totally safe for worts/musts/brews....some folks use it in their airlocks and it's claimed that fluid getting sucked into the carboy (pressure/temp change, whatever) is a non-issue, will not affect flavor/yeast in any way. I'm just lookin' to use it as a surface spray sanitizer for some equipment, but sounds like some pretty safe stuff, and users are adamant supporters....don't fear the foam, I guess.

I've been looking into getting some Starsan , reading here and there, and it seems that any residue is totally safe for worts/musts/brews....some folks use it in their airlocks and it's claimed that fluid getting sucked into the carboy (pressure/temp change, whatever) is a non-issue, will not affect flavor/yeast in any way. I'm just lookin' to use it as a surface spray sanitizer for some equipment, but sounds like some pretty safe stuff, and users are adamant supporters....don't fear the foam, I guess.

Yeah, pretty much. As long as you have it mixed correctly in the proper proportions, it's supposed to be fine for normal use on anything post-boil. Obviously you wouldn't want to dump a gallon of this stuff in your wort, but an ounce or two isn't going to do any harm, and the amount you get from having a thin film left from sanitizing your carboy / bucket just prior to filling with wort is going to cause even less problems. :)

I've been using it for 3+ years as a sanitizer for BB's , auto-siphon, bottles, kegs, and spoons, mash paddles, & Airlocks w/ no issues. I also keep a spray bottle handy for whatever might arise, i.e., yeast smack pack, scissors, etc.

I have noticed this on some of my chrome plated tap pieces and some brass parts I have. For these parts I have reduced the soak time...no mas slime.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Home Brew mobile app

Back