SSR Wiring Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druish_00

Reaction score
I am trying to wire up my brewpi according to the diagram in the 1st photo.

My question is; since I am using connecting wires with male or female ends on them, I cant put 2 wires on the ground pin on the SSR (I suppose I could cut the connector ends off and solder them but I dont have a soldering iron), can I just use the other pin labeled GND? (2nd photo).

Judging by the looking at the bottom of the board, (3rd photo) I would say that they are connected and should be able to used interchangeably but Im not sure.

Ive almost got it all wired up! But the software is proving to be a bit more challenging.....

Thanks in advance!

Brewpi Wiring Diagram.gif

SSR front pic.jpg

SSR back pic.jpg

Hi. First, this is not an SSR (Solid State Relay). This is an electromechanical relay board, but it does have a solid state front end. Biggest difference is the mechanical contacts which are not meant for frequent switching but are much more energy efficient.

The lower arrow in you pic is not to be wired to. It is there for the jumper to be placed there if changing the mode. That said, they are electrically connected, so you could use that pin.

Thanks BrunDog for the reply. Just to clarify before i smoke this thing, I SHOULDN'T use that pin to ground anything but I CAN? Thanks again! Cant wait to get this rig fired up

You can use that GND pin as a DC return (though I can't really envision a good reason for it) just never stick a jumper cap on it.

While I have a half dozen of the SainSmart dual-relays in service here, putting an unrelated pin next to a jumper-able power position is just shoddy design bereft of human factor engineering. You can pretty much guarantee someone somewhere has jumpered that pin to the VCC pin next door and wondered wtf just happened as things started to glow ;)

Bottom line: you can feed independent power to the relay coil circuit via a 5V/GND pair to that header and the GND will be auto-magically referenced to the host system GND. Otherwise you jumper the system 5V to the relay power input...

Cheers!

Back