SSR/PID wiring help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tunaboatbeer

Reaction score
I ordered the PID, SSR, and 5500 watt heating kit from keg kits and I'm working on wiring in the PID and SSR. I've been looking at wiring diagrams so long I can't see straight. I think I found one that works and I'm trying to interpret it.

1. Does the green (ground) wire need to run through the terminal strip?
2. Do the power wires that run from the terminal strip to the PID need to be heavy gauge wire (like the power cord)? Blue wires going to 9 and 10 on the PID in diagram.
3. Same question for the power wires that run from the SSR to the PID. Blue wires going to 7 and 8 on the PID in diagram.

Any help would be great.

thanks

diagram.jpg

Which PID do you have? Different ones from the same manufacturer have different wiring patterns. Also, is that your SSR pictured? Which one exactly do you have?

1.) The picture with the terminal strip - the green wire runs through the terminal strip because the cord was cut at that point. The strip reconnects the green (Ground) wire.
2.) The power wires for the PID do not have to be heavy gauge. I've used 22ga and they work fine. The information for your PID should list the consumption. It's usually very low.
3.) Wires from 7 & 8 appear to be the SSR control signal lines. They can be the same size wire as the PID power lines.

Wires on the SSR L1 and T1 need to be rated for greater than the ampacity of your load - presumably your element.

I have the CXTG-3000 PID from keg kits. The display I posted is very close, just the numbers are rearranged.

1. So as long as I DON'T cut the greeen wire there is no need to attach it to the strip?

I think everything else makes sense. Thanks for the input!

Im confused about something with your wiring diagram. It looks like the only way hot is getting to the terminal bar if from the output of the SSR. Your PID wont ever get power to it this way because it wont be turned on to tell the SSR to operate.

I could be looking at it wrong and Im likely explaining that really badly.

It is getting power from lines 9 & 10. The main power cord is connected to the terminal at B (white wire) and that also has a wire going to 10 on the PID. The black power connects to C on the strip and also has a wire running to 9 on the PID.

I have the CXTG-3000 PID from keg kits. The display I posted is very close, just the numbers are rearranged.

1. So as long as I DON'T cut the greeen wire there is no need to attach it to the strip?

I think everything else makes sense. Thanks for the input!

That appears to be the case. Neither the PID nor the SSR require a ground. So long as it runs from the source to your kettle near your element I would think you'll be ok. Let me state I am not a licensed electrician and the advise you get is as good as what you paid for it.

That appears to be the case. Neither the PID nor the SSR require a ground. So long as it runs from the source to your kettle near your element I would think you'll be ok. Let me state I am not a licensed electrician and the advise you get is as good as what you paid for it.

Depending on what the box you are mounting this in you might want to cut the earth and ground the box (if it is metal). Plastic box you should be ok.

Back