ss braid on pickup tube keeps getting clogged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim chillingsworth

Reaction score
i keep having trouble with the pickup tube in my boil keggle. every batch has gotten completely stuck from hop trub and whatnot and i have to manually clear the braid to keep the siphon going. anyone experience this or have any advice?

it's a copper pickup tube running to a T connection with a ss braid at the bottom of the keggle.

I've never heard of a braid actually working as a hop/trub filter. There's just not enough surface area. Are you running a CFC or plate chiller? I've found it's much more functional to put the siphon tube off to the side and try to get a little whirlpool going.

Yeah, I tried using a SS braid way back when, and it doesn't work. Far too much crap to filter if you've got hops loose. I've been using one of the big SS braids (it's got a diameter of at least an inch, maybe an inch and a half, probably a foot long, but I'm also sticking to whole hops in bags. That's been working quite well for me.

Back