spread brew day over two days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafew2000

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm planning on brewing a partial mash-oatmeal stout. Is there any downside to breaking the brew process down over two days? I was thinking about steeping the specialty grains and doing the mini-mash tonight, refrigerate overnight and doing the boil, adding the hops/malt extract and pitching the yeast tomorrow. Any potential problems with this?

Have you done a Google search on this? I think I remember someone saying they did this some time ago, but I don't remember what the general consensus was on it.

I don't see much of a problem with it as long as it didn't get some weird infection before you got it chilled down. If you did the boil would kill it but it might have time to sour your beer a little that wouldn't boil away. Give it a shot and let us know how it turns out. Unless of course I get flamed.

You'll need to get it cool rather quickly. You would be leaving yourself open for a lacto infection, but I think that if you only did it for one night, it could be ok. Lacto (if I remember correctly) really likes being around 110 degrees.

I have mashed over night before, it can be done that way, the wort comes out highly fermentable and makes a very dry beer.

Latest posts

Back