Spotted Cow Extract Clone Help / Challenge...Will Donate $25 to HomeBrewTalk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cadarnell said:
thanks for all your work on it ... I will be up in the wisconsin dells in 3 weeks and I'm gonna grab about a case to bring home ... i think Ill try this recipe next and do the side by side with it ... I'm all out of my last batch, which I know was close, but I kinda just want to mix it up a little .. here's to spotted cows !!

I forgot to mention that this was a 2.5 gallon batch. I wish icould remember to add that to my posts. Maybe ill put it in the space under my name.

I forgot to mention that this was a 2.5 gallon batch. I wish icould remember to add that to my posts. Maybe ill put it in the space under my name.

most of my recipes are set up at 4 gallons, as that's about all I can do with just a six gallon stock pot .. so Ill probably do that with this one .. thank god for computers to do the math :ban:

Mild Ale Malt?

It seems I picked up a bag of mild ale malt instead of pale 2-row. I think I am just going to use it. Dedscriptions state that it will make a sweeter beer than with pale 2-row.

Here is my new Spotted Cow variation. Any input?

2.5 Gallon Batch

3.00 lb Mild Ale Malt US (2.0 SRM) 55.25 %
1.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) 18.42 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) 18.42 %
0.25 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 4.60 %
0.18 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) 3.31 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker 2.40 % 60 min 17.3 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [6.80 %] 0 min
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)
1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565)
Mash: 154F
Primary 3 weeks 67F (basement temp)
Bottle 3 weeks 67F

Thanks to all who have shared their efforts to date. I've been through 3 recipes before this one. Below is the recipe I used for a Spotted Cowlike Cream Ale that took 1st Place in the 2011 Wis State Fair in the Light Hybrid category. First time I tried Cluster hops and the results were fantastic both in aroma and taste. Thanks to NB for that suggestion.

Ingredients for 5.25 Gal:
------------
4.25 lbs Pilsen Malt - Best (2 Row) (2.0 SRM) 37.0 %
2.5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Rahr US (2.0 SRM) 21.7 %
2 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) 17.4 %
1.5 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 13.0 %
12.0 oz Munich II (Weyermann) (8.5 SRM) 6.5 %
8.0 oz Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) 4.3 %
0.60 oz Cluster [7.20 %] - Boil 45.0 min 12.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Cluster [7.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min 2.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565)
1/4 Whirlock Tab

This really turned out to be an extremely clear and tasty beer, frothy white head, good lacing..

90 Min Boil
Mashed at 154 OG: 1.055 FG: 1.018
Fermented at 60-62F for 4 weeks
Kegged and carbonated at 8-9 PSI at 36F for 2 weeks
Bottled a 12 Pack from the carbonated keg using a Beergun

Just finishing up the keg of this now and going to miss it. I'm going to be brewing this again soon.

:mug:

Thanks to all who have shared their efforts to date. I've been through 3 recipes before this one. Below is the recipe I used for a Spotted Cowlike Cream Ale that took 1st Place in the 2011 Wis State Fair in the Light Hybrid category. First time I tried Cluster hops and the results were fantastic both in aroma and taste. Thanks to NB for that suggestion.

------------
1/4 Whirlock Tab

This really turned out to be an extremely clear and tasty beer, frothy white head, good lacing..

90 Min Boil
Mashed at 154 OG: 1.055 FG: 1.018
Fermented at 60-62F for 4 weeks
Kegged and carbonated at 8-9 PSI at 36F for 2 weeks
Bottled a 12 Pack from the carbonated keg using a Beergun

Just finishing up the keg of this now and going to miss it. I'm going to be brewing this again soon.

Congrats !!! .. I love this feed ... i have tried a few different recipes on here and one of my own, and it's all been really great beer ... some of the beer has been closer to SC than others, but all very smooth cream ale .. happy summertime drinking all :)

I just bottled up five gallons of BeerBaronBob's Cow-Like cream ale yesterday. My OG was a bit on the low side for some reason (I do BiaB but I didn't dig into the specifics too much with this one) and no-chilled it. My version tasted a bit bitter coming out of the primary hydrometer sample but we'll have to wait a few weeks to see how it turns out. I was more than happy with the mouth-feel and overall taste while flat so this one should be a winner for me. We have moved away from the original reason for this thread, but the recipes are solid so far.

------------
1/4 Whirlock Tab

AFTER ALL THOSE RECIPES WHICH ONE DO YOU SAY TURN OUT THE BEST?

BTW ive never had spotted cow im from CA but my buddy says its his favorite beer all time.

AFTER ALL THOSE RECIPES WHICH ONE DO YOU SAY TURN OUT THE BEST?

BTW ive never had spotted cow im from CA but my buddy says its his favorite beer all time.

+1

Which came out best and/or is the closest recipe?? AZ guy that's never had one either.

I think that BrewNinja's version has been the clone standard based on my trials and reading back through this thread. BeerBaronBob's has about a pound more rye which adds a distinct flavor/crispness to the brew and the cluster hops is different (but promising based on my ~4 week taste test). I've reposted BrewNinja's recipe below.

The Kolsch yeast is very easy to top crop and I just used a third generation for my most recent batch. The yeast will impart a green taste to the beer during bottle conditioning for 1-3 weeks so be patient.

Recipe: Spotted Cow Clone
Style: Cream Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.59 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 5.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 48.78 %
2.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.51 %
1.75 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 17.07 %
0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
0.35 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
1.10 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 12.81 qt of water at 164.6 F 152.0 F

What temp are you mashing at? I made your recipe ( I think back on p 22). I screwed up and ended up at about 157-158, and it turned out different. Good beer, but not a spotted cow.

pvtschultz said:
I mash at 151-152 for at least an hour and boil for 90 minutes.

What is the reason for a 90 minute boil? Do you boil for 30 minutes before starting the hop schedule?

What is the reason for a 90 minute boil? Do you boil for 30 minutes before starting the hop schedule?

Yup. The reason is to reduce DMS in the wort. My stove-top burner doesn't produce a real vigorous 6 gallon boil so the extra time is for good measure. Many on the forum advocate 90 minute boils for any AG recipe with substantial Pilsen malt and I'll throw Rahr 2-row malt in there as well.

What temp are you mashing at? I made your recipe ( I think back on p 22). I screwed up and ended up at about 157-158, and it turned out different. Good beer, but not a spotted cow.

I mashed at 154 for this recipe for 60 min and also do a 90 min boil. Don't forget to compensate for the longer boil in your water calcs.

I think that BrewNinja's version has been the clone standard based on my trials and reading back through this thread. BeerBaronBob's has about a pound more rye which adds a distinct flavor/crispness to the brew and the cluster hops is different (but promising based on my ~4 week taste test). I've reposted BrewNinja's recipe below.

My recipe does not use rye but is different in a few ways, 37% Best Malz Pilsen malt vs 20%, 22% 2 Row Rahr Pale Malt vs 49%, the flaked corn and the munich is about the same but the flaked barley is 13% vs 5%. I also used Carafoam instead of the Crystal and yes the Cluster hops vs the NB and Saaz.

I suggest you try both. I have not made Brewninja's recipe so I cant comment on it. I have tried both Mt Hood and Hallertau hops in a few batches prior to this one but my percentages of malts have been the same in my last three batches. My next batch of this recipe is ready to be kegged.

I ferment at 60-62F for 4 weeks in the primary with no secondary, and condition in the keg for about 2 weeks on gas at 36F. I bottled using a Beergun after being kegged. The bottled version of this was crystal clear.

My recipe does not use rye but is different in a few ways, 37% Weyermann Pilsner malt vs 20%, 22% 2 Row Rahr Pale Malt vs 49%, the flaked corn and the munich is about the same but the flaked barley is 13% vs 5%. I also used Carafoam instead of the Crystal and yes the Cluster hops vs the NB and Saaz.

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I read flaked barley and read rye for some reason.

I was going to try my first BIAB using a spotted cow recipe. I've read through all the pages and came up with the following recipe using Brewers Friend. I'm not sure about the grain bill, I tried to look at what everyone else had tried and tweaked it. Let me know what you think and offer any suggestions.

Batch Size 5 Gallons
Boil 7.25
OG 1.050
FG 1.013
4.96% Alcohol

Mash for 60min @ 154 - should my strike temp be 168? to account for the loss in temp when grains are added?
Is a 15 minute mash out at 170 degrees recommended?

4 lb Pale 2-Row 41.03%
1.75 lb Flaked Corn 17.95%
1 lb Flaked Barley 10.26%
0.5 lb Munich - Light 10L 5.13%
2 lb German Pilsner 20.51% (or I might use Pale Ale Malt instead?????)
0.5 lb Caramel/Crystal 10L 5.13%

.5 oz Northern Brewer Hops @ 60min
.5 oz Saaz Hops @ 10 min
Wyeast 2565

I have made six versions of Spotted Cow, and that is a lot for, because I am not really a fan. My friends are, and it was a challenge to try to make it as close as I could. Well, this version is my third, and I think it was the best. Unfortunately I don't remember if it was the closest to Spotted Cow, but it was really tasty.

We differ in our amounts of Crystal 20, Munich, and Flaked Barley. Also, I just used all 2-row for base malt. I think you will get more hop character from the 10 min of .5oz Saaz than I did. I don't think there will be a lot of difference between Hallertauer and Northern Brewer. Let us know how it turns out.

Spotted Cow Clone
Boil Size: 3.14 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.86 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 4.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 71.5 %

3.50 lb Pale 2 Row US (2.0 SRM) 65.4%
1.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) 18.7%
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 9.3%
0.25 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 4.7%
0.10 lb Crystal Malt 20L (20.0 SRM) 1.9%
0.75 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.40%] Boil 60 min 13.1 IBUs
0.25 ts Irish Moss Boil 15.0 mins)
0.25 oz Saaz [6.80%] Boil 5.0 min 2.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Kolsch Yeast Wyeast Labs #2565

No Sparge Mash - Mash In - Add 16.16 qt of water at 160.9 F - 154.0 F for 60 min

I have made six versions of Spotted Cow, and that is a lot for, because I am not really a fan. My friends are, and it was a challenge to try to make it as close as I could. Well, this version is my third, and I think it was the best. Unfortunately I don't remember if it was the closest to Spotted Cow, but it was really tasty.

We differ in our amounts of Crystal 20, Munich, and Flaked Barley. Also, I just used all 2-row for base malt. I think you will get more hop character from the 10 min of .5oz Saaz than I did. I don't think there will be a lot of difference between Hallertauer and Northern Brewer. Let us know how it turns out.

Spotted Cow Clone
Boil Size: 3.14 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.86 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 4.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 71.5 %

3.50 lb Pale 2 Row US (2.0 SRM) 65.4%
1.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) 18.7%
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 9.3%
0.25 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 4.7%
0.10 lb Crystal Malt 20L (20.0 SRM) 1.9%
0.75 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.40%] Boil 60 min 13.1 IBUs
0.25 ts Irish Moss Boil 15.0 mins)
0.25 oz Saaz [6.80%] Boil 5.0 min 2.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Kolsch Yeast Wyeast Labs #2565

No Sparge Mash - Mash In - Add 16.16 qt of water at 160.9 F - 154.0 F for 60 min
Youre right on the hops, I'll scale that pack a tad since I don't want a huge hop presence. I also thought about eliminating the pilsner and and adding more 2 row instead. I see I'm using more crystal but it is only the 10 so it should even out...

What ratio of water did you use? Since I will be using BIAB I was going to try 2qts per pound.

Do you use the mash out technique?

Has anyone been able to get an answer from New Glarus on which hops they use?

I just brewed an extract clone that I put together. I reverse engineered the recipe based on the known color, bitterness and ABV. I think it'll be pretty close, I poured a glass of Spotted Cow next to the test sample and they are almost identical when I guess on how much lighter it'll get during fermentation.

Here's what I used:

1 lbs Barley, Flaked
1 lbs Corn, Flaked
3 lbs Pilsner Dry Extract
3 lbs Light Dry Extract
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [8.60 %] - Boil 60.0
0.25 oz Saaz [4.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.25 oz Saaz [4.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min

I steeped the Corn and Barley together for 45 mins at 150 degrees, then added the extract, boiled and added the hops. There was a significant amount of solid material in the wort that settled out in the test cylinder. I guess that I'll lose a bit of the beer when I rack to secondary because of this.

I'd post a pic but dont feel like uploading to a hosting site. Hopefully this turns out well. I'm pretty confident that it'll be really close, especially for my first batch.

Cheers!

Cant believe this thread is still going! Ive made way too many gallons of this. Only thing my wife likes, and its always good for when people come over who drink BMC. They cry when I give them an IPA =D

The recipe I posted still is the closest I have come. I havent added any hops closer to the end for fear of having too much of that flavor come through, however adding just .25oz at like 15 or 10 isnt a bad idea. Like I originally noted, the flavor is spot on, just the aroma didnt completely match. I should try another side by side with the last batch I just did and see if its any different (same recipe, just different equipment that I finally have figured out).

I wonder if a touch of melanoidin malt would give us the aroma that we are missing in the formulation. I'm piecing together an eBiaB keggle currently and then I'm going to fire off a batch or two of this (BrewNinja's recipe) for my BMC friends. After a quicky extract batch to get some fresh brew in the lineup.

I've read through this thread and didn't see an extract recipe that people felt hit the nail on the head - only AG or partial recipes... Anyone figure out the extract recipe?

I've only done the Partial Mash up until now. And I only did that once. I just bought all the supplies to make an all-grain. Pretty jacked. Went with White Labs instead of Wyeast (personal pref...save enough white labs labels and you get a free vial).

ok ... I have brewnijas recipe fermeneting right now with wlp029 ... it's the first time I used that yeast with this beer ... has anyone lagered it after fermentation was complete ???? ... if so, did it help make it any closer to the real cow ??? ... cheers !!

Alright, I need some help, guys. My buddy and I picked up everything we need for Boerderij_Kabouter's mini mash recipe from page 3 of this thread today, but when we got home from our LHBS, I realized that I forgot to tell them not to put the Munich in with the 6-row, flaked corn and flaked barley. It's all crushed and mixed together in one bag. We can't follow the directions now (steep the munich seperate and boil the ceral mash). We've already made a yeast starter and we plan on brewing tomorrow. Can we just steep all of the grain and adjuncts at ~160 for 30 minutes?

You shouldn't need to do a cereal mash with the flaked corn and barley. The flaking process uses steam which gelatinizes the corn sugars making them available to the enzymes. Just mash (steep) them at 150-155 for 30-60 minutes for conversion. You're basically doing a BiaB mash, just on a smaller scale.

Thank you. That's what we did. It's in the fermentation chamber, and hopefully it will be bubbling away in the morning.

Cant believe this thread is still going! Ive made way too many gallons of this. Only thing my wife likes, and its always good for when people come over who drink BMC. They cry when I give them an IPA =D

The recipe I posted still is the closest I have come. I havent added any hops closer to the end for fear of having too much of that flavor come through, however adding just .25oz at like 15 or 10 isnt a bad idea. Like I originally noted, the flavor is spot on, just the aroma didnt completely match. I should try another side by side with the last batch I just did and see if its any different (same recipe, just different equipment that I finally have figured out).

Thanks again for the recipe .... I finally brewed it using wlp029 and that really made a nice beer .... I lagered it for a couple weeks and it is very crisp .... and it really didn't finish low ... went from 1050 to 1014 .... how does yours normally finish? .... cheers!!!

This FIB loves the cow. Thanks for the research everyone. This is in the queue for sure. I might do a second batch with a small amount of rye for schnicks. Fruity with a bit of zing might be fun.

Beers!

My youngest son's birthday is coming up in June so I plan to have a variety of home brew on tap for all to enjoy. I made a batch of BrewNinja's recipe again for the occasion so the uninitiated have something easy drinking.

I love this thread, glad there are so many people so committed to getting this right. Spotted Cow is one of my wife and I's favorite beers, and now that we live in Cleveland we cant get it. Ok, I just picked up all the equipment to go all grain, and we want to brew this as our first beer.

After reading through the whole thread, it sounds like Beer Ninja's Recipe from post #249 was the closest, if anyone has gotten any closer, I would love to know. Reading through it sounded like there were problems getting the yeast right, and I wondered, if anyone tried to collect the yeast from the bottle of Cow and make a yeast starter from that...I would imagine you couldn't get any closer than that.

Let me know if you have any input, I am going to get my ingredients ordered and brew in a week or so.

Cheers,

Mike

The Kolsch yeast is very easy to top crop and I just used a third generation for my most recent batch. The yeast will impart a green taste to the beer during bottle conditioning for 1-3 weeks so be patient.

Recipe: Spotted Cow Clone
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.59 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 5.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 48.78 %
2.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.51 %
1.75 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 17.07 %
0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
0.35 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
1.10 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 12.81 qt of water at 164.6 F 152.0 F

is it really with that small ammount of hops? this will be my first brew and first time will be all grain want my favorite beer i cant get in oregon cloned

brewing it now first ever batch of beer doing all grain 8 minutes till hop edition #2

First ever!!! .. now that's the way to start .... just give it at least 3 weeks to ferment and a couple weeks in the bottle .... your gonna love it ... cheers

Back