Spotted Cow Extract Clone Help / Challenge...Will Donate $25 to HomeBrewTalk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey!

I read through (almost) all of this massive thread, and it seems there's a great consensus recipe that I'll hopefully get to try my hand at this weekend! If anything, one thing that several people mention that the recipe still 'lacks' when comparing to the real deal is a more floral / fruity aroma. Has anyone tried to achieve this by dryhopping?

Dry hopping with some cascade or maybe Saaz, Styrian Goldings (? floral?) could add some nice aroma. I don't think I'll try it the first time since such a light, clean beer is quite delicate and easy to screw up with a wrong dryhop, but was wondering if anyone made this with dryhop!

Cheers

A can of the real thing almost smells like bubblegum to me. It's a very sweet aroma, and is nothing like hops, IMHO. I think the aroma has got to be from the yeast. Maybe it needs to be fermented a couple of degrees warmer?

A can of the real thing almost smells like bubblegum to me. It's a very sweet aroma, and is nothing like hops, IMHO. I think the aroma has got to be from the yeast. Maybe it needs to be fermented a couple of degrees warmer?

I've never actually tasted the real deal (I'm in Europe, no cream ales here). That does indeed sound like an aroma that comes from yeast rather than hops. I'm just gonna give Brewn1nja's recipe a go and see how I like this beer!

I know this is an old thread, but I whipped up a batch of BrewNinja's version last week and just took a sample now (only at 1.018, so had a bit to go yet) but my god, the outcome was amazing. I will reserve final judgement until after it cleans up and is carbonated, but my search for a great spotted cow clone might very well be over.

RO water with 2.9g gypsum and 2.5 of CaCl and it's as clean and crisp as I could ask for.

yeah ninja's recipe is better than the original in my opinion.. ive tested them side by side and even gave some to friends and family in a blind taste test.

like others have reported here, better head retention and less fruitiness if you could call it that... i used gelatin on mine and cold crashed to get the clarity on par with SC...

Thought I would post a pic of my clone in a real New Glarus Brewing Co glass so I get the appropriate glassware for a perfect clone.

IMG_20180624_123420.jpg

PS. I need one of those glasses
I got mine and also a pitcher for beer directly from them .. Their brewery is a must visit!

Plus i'm a disabled vet and they gave me free drink tickets for their beer garden and huge discount on their swag from the store. only thing i didnt get a discount on was the direct sales of beer to go (they have some killer deals on cases and my brother and I loaded up his car including the trunk full of beer and were wondering when we crossed back into Illinois if we were breaking any laws on the amount of beer we were transporting.. needless to say the evidence was consumed in a short while... lol

Im headed back there in July when i visit my brother who lives in chicago.

Last edited:
As long as it's drinkable and tastes good that's what counts..

I could care less if a beer is hazy as long as it's good beer..

I've got a red-x smash beer I just brewed that's neon pink ( no joke) but it's darn tasty so I call it a win...unless you are entering a brew into a competition and you need to be 100 percent style specific I wouldn't bother with gelatin etc....

My take on ninjas recipe is clear with out any fining agent other than some whirlfloc in the boil kettle...

I used the wyeast kolsch I yeast though.. don't know which yeast you used.

Same. Not sure why it's hazy. I used whirlfloc too. Might just be the gelatin at the bottom. I had a lot of sediment and trub that might be sitting there as well.

So this beer is damn close. My wife couldn't tell the difference between the real and clone in a blind taste test. I've find the ONLY thing the clone is missing is that hint of bubble gum flavor.

I recently brewed my 4th iteration of this same recipe and added an ounce of honey malt and I believe it's the missing link. Just a touch of sweetness added.

Batch #5 I'll add 2 ounces just for science but I think this is where it's at. So damn delicious.

Good to hear that the honey malt helped...I'll try it next time I brew....(gonna be awhile since I'm moving to Germany this fall)

I used BruNinja's AG recipe but substituted with Cluster hops at 16 grams at 40 minutes ( I no chill) and added 2.5 oz of honey malt to increase the sweetness just a tad over the 2 prior attempts. Seems to be spot on wife and friend's can't tell the dif between Spotted Cow and my Udderly Bovine clone (on the left). No more cross lake forays into WI for beer runs as my wife puts it. :)
bovine1.jpg

1. After looking at my grain bill, I also took off 2 oz of the crystal 20 malt to keep the color pretty close, but the honey malt brings the sweetness right to where I think it should be when comparing to the bottled Spotted Cow.

1. After looking at my grain bill, I also took off 2 oz of the crystal 20 malt to keep the color pretty close, but the honey malt brings the sweetness right to where I think it should be when comparing to the bottled Spotted Cow.
Yep the honey malt was my contribution to this famed recipe . I think it was truly the missing link

yeah ninja's recipe is better than the original in my opinion.. ive tested them side by side and even gave some to friends and family in a blind taste test.

I was wondering if you could possibly share BrewNinja's recipe or tell where I can get it? I've been looking to brew a spotted cow clone but I cant seem to find a good recipe. Thank you.

Anything new to add? Travis, .06 lb of honey malt is 1 oz? Also do you deduct 2 oz of the Crystal like stated earlier in thread?

What temp do you ferment at and for how long? Do you transfer to secondary at all?

Also, OMG guys. I think I found the missing ingredient. For the longest time I searched for that sweetness flavor in this brew and I thought I found it in honey malt.

Tonight I had a spotted cow as I analyzed every sip and I had an epiphany. It's sweet orange peel!

I tried many more sips and it's all I could taste. I had several other people support my opinion. I'm brewing this soon and will report back.

I'm so pumped.

Also, OMG guys. I think I found the missing ingredient. For the longest time I searched for that sweetness flavor in this brew and I thought I found it in honey malt.

Tonight I had a spotted cow as I analyzed every sip and I had an epiphany. It's sweet orange peel!

I tried many more sips and it's all I could taste. I had several other people support my opinion. I'm brewing this soon and will report back.

I'm so pumped.

It may remind you of that flavor, but I can guarantee you that New Glarus doesn't use orange peel in Spotted Cow.

I enjoy Spotted Cow, but from what I've read, even from the brewery, Spotted Cow is not considered a cream ale. This is interesting as I, apparently mistakenly, thought it was a cream ale.

http://newglarusbrewing.com/beers/ourbeers/beer/spotted-cow
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/spotted-lamb-spotted-cow-inspired.676683/post-8986048
As I mentioned in the above post, SC leans more toward a Belgian ale. Next time I brew I'll used a Belgian yeast, for example 1214, instead of the Chico yeast (example US-05, Wyeast 1056, etc).

I enjoy Spotted Cow, but from what I've read, even from the brewery, Spotted Cow is not considered a cream ale. This is interesting as I, apparently mistakenly, thought it was a cream ale.

http://newglarusbrewing.com/beers/ourbeers/beer/spotted-cow
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/spotted-lamb-spotted-cow-inspired.676683/post-8986048
As I mentioned in the above post, SC leans more toward a Belgian ale. Next time I brew I'll used a Belgian yeast, for example 1214, instead of the Chico yeast (example US-05, Wyeast 1056, etc).
It's kind of a hybrid style, which is part of what makes it so unique. Doesn't fit nearly into any BJCP style guideline

I'm pretty sure the ester profile comes from Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast. I would be concerned about clashing phenolics with a Belgian yeast. I agree that it's not US-05 or similar

Back