Help me tweak my Spotted Cow clone, if'n ya could

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis K. Jansen

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I recently brewed up a batch of a Spotted Cow clone I got from someone in my group. It turned out pretty great, but it needs some tweaks. First, the recipe, then I'll follow with what needs tweaking and hopefully you all can help with how to accomplish that.

1 oz Cascade (60-min)
.5 oz Hallertauer (30-min)
.5 oz Willamette (5-min)
German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029)
8 oz. Cara-Pils/Dextrine Malt
8 oz. Caramel Malt - 10L (Briess)
1 lbs 4 oz. Flaked Corn (Flaked Maize from NB)
1 lbs 12 oz. Flaked Barley (Briess)
2 lbs Munich 10L (Briess) - German munich was all they had at NB
6 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-row (Briess 2-row malt)

Using Beersmith, I used the BIAB Medium Body which basically says to mash at 152 for 75 minutes.

It tastes really good, but we did a taste test last night with the real Spotted Cow and I want to tyr and get it closer to that. First, my wife indicated the clone tasted heavier than SC, so I'm guessing I need to mash at lower temperature for longer? (Beersmith says light body would move it to 148 for 90 minutes).

Furthermore, the clone had just a small bit of bite, and was not as sweet as the original SC. I'm wondering how I can tweak the recipe to reduce that bite (less hops?) and add a tad bit of sweetness.

Lastly, it was indicated that the original SC had a cleaner taste than the clone. I'm hoping to make this my haus beer, so any tips you can provide are appreciated!

I've never tried Spotted Cow, but I have made Northern Brewers Speckled Heifer many times and it is always a favorite. Comparing the two, it does look like you went a bit overboard on your hops.

7.5 lbs 2-row
0.5 lbs Carapils
.25 lbs flaked barley
.25 lbs flaked maize

0.5 oz Cluster 45 min
.25 oz Cluster 15 min

Mash at 152F
US-05 yeast

I got this recipe from a local on my homebrew club FB page. I haven't tried NB's so I don't know how close it tastes to the original, but I probably should give it a go. I agree the hops felt like too much. I'll switch that up.

Once suggestion I got from another member was:

Take out the cara pills, drop the flaked barley to 1/2 a pound bump up the corn to 2 pounds and do a half ounce of cascade at 60. Mash at 148, ferment around 52 degrees. That'll help the cleaner taste.

I wouldn't use a kolsch yeast for spotted cow. I haven't used kolsch yeast much, but when I have, it has taken ages for it to clear up. Wyeast 1056 or something more geared for a cream ale would be better, I think.

Edit: BTW, has anyone ever run across a good clone of Yokel?

Back