Spotted Cow Extract Clone Help / Challenge...Will Donate $25 to HomeBrewTalk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BilltownBrewingCo

Beer is one of God's greatest gifts to man.
Reaction score
I would first like to say, that in all the beers I've made, this one has been the easiest to research because of this thread. Bravo.

I want to run something by y'all that I was thinking about... I understand that Kolsch yeast is the consenus, but I have always had issues when using it for my own brewing purposes... the not-lagering but not ale temps are difficult for me to hit, and overall I have just not enjoyed beers I've made with it. My house yeast, however, is one that I can put in anything at nearly any temp and it turns out nails- Omega Labs Voss Kveik. Thoughts on brewing Ninja's recipe with the VK instead of Kolsch?

Travis K. Jansen

Reaction score
It may remind you of that flavor, but I can guarantee you that New Glarus doesn't use orange peel in Spotted Cow.

Yeah, I know they don't but it's the only thing I can think of that matches what my brain is computing.

Where DOES that bubblegum sweetness come from?

5SonsBrewing

Reaction score
Thanks to all who have shared their efforts to date. I've been through 3 recipes before this one. Below is the recipe I used for a Spotted Cowlike Cream Ale that took 1st Place in the 2011 Wis State Fair in the Light Hybrid category. First time I tried Cluster hops and the results were fantastic both in aroma and taste. Thanks to NB for that suggestion.

Ingredients for 5.25 Gal:
------------
4.25 lbs Pilsen Malt - Best (2 Row) (2.0 SRM) 37.0 %
2.5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Rahr US (2.0 SRM) 21.7 %
2 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) 17.4 %
1.5 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 13.0 %
12.0 oz Munich II (Weyermann) (8.5 SRM) 6.5 %
8.0 oz Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) 4.3 %
0.60 oz Cluster [7.20 %] - Boil 45.0 min 12.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Cluster [7.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min 2.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565)
1/4 Whirlock Tab

This really turned out to be an extremely clear and tasty beer, frothy white head, good lacing..

90 Min Boil
Mashed at 154 OG: 1.055 FG: 1.018
Fermented at 60-62F for 4 weeks
Kegged and carbonated at 8-9 PSI at 36F for 2 weeks
Bottled a 12 Pack from the carbonated keg using a Beergun

Just finishing up the keg of this now and going to miss it. I'm going to be brewing this again soon.

:mug:

Hello, I brewed this from your post 10 years ago!!!! :p I brewed it about 6 weeks back and it came out pretty good. The head doesn't stick around on mine. Not sure what I did wrong, but my OG was 1.052 and FG 1.008. Final pH is 4.11. I smell a bit of 'funk' in the glass not sure if this is typical of a Kolsch Yeast, but it doesn't come through in the taste at all... it's refreshing more like a 'better' budweiser, I taste a bit of sourness to mine (maybe the pH at 4.11 was too low?), not sweetness as many have described a cream ale... but this is the first cream ale that I've ever had and I brewed it myself so I have nothing to compare it to.

Here is my process: Brewfather

Last edited:

Fitzman82

Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering when you go to bottle the spotted cow clone, do you have to use priming sugar?
The recipe I used saids nothing about using priming sugar but I just wanted to make sure.

Tobor_8thMan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting how stepping away from a brew and having it again makes me realize things I missed the first (second, third, etc) time.

Drinking a Spotted Cow. The case was given to me in July fresh from Wisconsin by a family friend. I am now tasting a Belgian yeast taste. Interesting. Maybe Wyeast 1214? Others?

PberBob

Student of the Dark Arts
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Cheers to BrewNinja1! I discovered Spotted Cow this summer and really enjoyed it on tap in (Death’s) Door County, WI.

I used his recipe Here.. It’s been in the bottle 6 days and is shaping up very nicely. This young sample had a hint of banana ester to it and a bit of the characteristic Pilsner flavor. It still needs to dry out a bit and crispen up with more carbonation, but it’s very promising!

PberBob

Student of the Dark Arts
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My spotted cow clone is tasting really good at two weeks in bottle. It’s a bit clearer than it looks ( greedy pour from bottle). Pretty big on pilsner malt flavor, interesting fruit esters-very easy to drink. Head fades pretty fast, especially considering all the flaked grains.

F3BDA303-6911-4442-925F-6C558790C420.jpeg