Spontaneous upgrade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fartinmartin

Reaction score
Well I had to, I have been moaning about my kit for years, my boil pot is only 19L to the brim, and it really gets to me having to mess around with two boils for one brew.
So I had to go to the brew shop for some malt, hops and yeast etc.

The etc turned out to be a 56L stainless kettle with two 2.4kW elements, sight glass, thermometer, ball valve, bazooka screen and a lid.

Its all still in bits, this had to happen at a time when I am really busy at work ! no time to build it or for a brew day.

I have been looking at in my lounge for three days now!
Cant wait to get going with it. Its said that things come to those that wait, ive been brewing beer for over thirty years now, I have waited long enough.

But have just realised that with every upgrade there are further implications, I am not going to be able to carry this thing, what am I going to put it on when its boiling, how do I wash it out (all my previous gear fitted in the sink).
oh well deal with the problems as they come, what a fantastic hobby:).

Anybody else made spontaneous purchases ?

I guess some of my purchases were technically spontaneous. When I got a bigger brew kettle that didn't fit into the sink I needed a wort chiller. When I got all of that I needed some way to get the wort into a fermenter. I was doing 10 gallons sometimes and just could not lift the kettle from the burner to something slightly higher for gravity to take place. Thus came the pump.

Summer came and I needed another method of chilling wort…so I have a plate chiller sitting around collecting dust, sadly. That's another story though.

So basically, upgrades equal future purchases no matter what, at least in my case.

Congrats on the new gear. 30 years shows your incredible patience!

I did pretty much exactly the same thing last week. Bought a 15 gallon kettle to replace my turkey fryer pot, than realised I needed a pump and a chiller, no way was I picking that thing up full and hot. Hopefully by the weekend I'll have the pump, I just built the CFC on Saturday

th

th

DP-120.jpg

And some wood.

Then I took the SWMBO out to the closest gambling place, before telling her about these, and won the money to pay for them.

Latest posts

Back