Spike Nano 1BBL system at NHC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The word is that it is going to be approx $16k.
kinda steep for 1bbl, more than the total cost of my 3bbl electric setup .. im sure its nice and will make a fine setup in many a high end man cave or a nice pilot system in a larger brewery but most nanos starting this small is mainly due to costs and they can spend 16k a lot more wisely imo. It really is nicely designed though. It should be mentioned that Stout has a similar steam condenser they have been offering for years on their boil kettles as an option. It works but really heats the room up, creates humidity and does nothing for odors. I know someone who uses one and brews with all the windows and doors open to manage it.

Off topic a bit but 1bbl doesnt make sense for commercial in most cases unless you live way out in the sticks with a small population. I wish we went with at least 5bbl and we dont distribute or sell growlers yet. the #1 most common thing I heard from brewers was buy the largest system you can afford.. I tell people that come to my brewpub looking for advice on a startup the same thing.

Last edited:
The word is that it is going to be approx $16k.

I'm curious to see if the final version has hard piping or not. Ss Brewtech's nano system is the same price and seems a bit more polished overall. Ruby Street's is pretty similar with using Silicone hoses and is roughly half the price. Not saying that his isn't/won't be a nice system but as currently described it seems a bit expensive for what it is.

kinda steep for 1bbl, more than the total cost of my 3bbl electric setup .. im sure its nice and will make a fine setup in many a high end man cave or a nice pilot system in a larger brewery but most nanos starting this small is mainly due to costs and they can spend 16k a lot more wisely imo. It really is nicely designed though. It should be mentioned that Stout has a similar steam condenser they have been offering for years on their boil kettles as an option. It works but really heats the room up, creates humidity and does nothing for odors. I know someone who uses one and brews with all the windows and doors open to manage it.

Off topic a bit but 1bbl doesnt make sense for commercial in most cases unless you live way out in the sticks with a small population. I wish we went with at least 5bbl and we dont distribute or sell growlers yet. the #1 most common thing I heard from brewers was buy the largest system you can afford.. I tell people that come to my brewpub looking for advice on a startup the same thing.

Yeah that was a quandary I was in when I had looked into going pro. Go small and work your ass off. (If your product sells) or be in big debt to keep up with demand and not kill yourself.. Tight rope walk for sure.

Yeah that was a quandary I was in when I had looked into going pro. Go small and work your ass off. (If your product sells) or be in big debt to keep up with demand and not kill yourself.. Tight rope walk for sure.
We brewed a stockpile of 12 different beers before we opened but still found we had underestimated the lure of being the new kids on the block and all the business that comes with being new. We had to turn away a lot of people the first couple months and unfortunately that was a lot of business lost due to the small size and occupancy because we did not have the other side of our building renovated yet. (Still dont) .. my advice to anyone starting out would be to over plan the grand opening and go as big as you can without taking on the debt because that initial rush of business you get then as well as the first impressions go a long way to define you to your customers. You will never have the ability to make that first impression again. We both kept our full time jobs so we have to brew on sundays .. a 3bbl setup helps in that situation. Even if you taproom only seats 40 people and your only open 3 days a week.. just saying. With 1 bbl we would have to brew for just about ever day we are open at that size (which is not big)

We brewed a stockpile of 12 different beers before we opened but still found we had underestimated the lure of being the new kids on the block and all the business that comes with being new. We had to turn away a lot of people the first couple months and unfortunately that was a lot of business lost due to the small size and occupancy because we did not have the other side of our building renovated yet. (Still dont) .. my advice to anyone starting out would be to over plan the grand opening and go as big as you can without taking on the debt because that initial rush of business you get then as well as the first impressions go a long way to define you to your customers. You will never have the ability to make that first impression again. We both kept our full time jobs so we have to brew on sundays .. a 3bbl setup helps in that situation. Even if you taproom only seats 40 people and your only open 3 days a week.. just saying. With 1 bbl we would have to brew for just about ever day we are open at that size (which is not big)
Sound advice right there!! /\ /\ /\ /\

Nice video Brian. I stopped by every kettle supplier at NHC and asked them when they were going to add bottom drain to their homebrew kettles and every one, including Ben, asked “why would you do that?” My answer was always cleaning (and priming, volume efficiency, flow, durability etc.). He seemed to know exactly why a bottom drain was useful.

Side note: many quoted cost as a concern at the HB level. Seems to me that welding on a few short feet on the bottom isn’t about to break the bank. The truth is manufacturers don’t want to build kettles that will alienate 75% of their current user base who heat with gas. Understandable, but market leadership is an investment too.

Also “our steam condenser...” hmmm.

Nice video Brian. I stopped by every kettle supplier at NHC and asked them when they were going to add bottom drain to their homebrew kettles and every one, including Ben, asked “why would you do that?” My answer was always cleaning (and priming, volume efficiency, flow, durability etc.). He seemed to know exactly why a bottom drain was useful.

Side note: many quoted cost as a concern at the HB level. Seems to me that welding on a few short feet on the bottom isn’t about to break the bank. The truth is manufacturers don’t want to build kettles that will alienate 75% of their current user base who heat with gas. Understandable, but market leadership is an investment too.

Also “our steam condenser...” hmmm.
Hahah right!! Bottom drains are definitely nice! Sorry I missed you out there !!

Back