Spike Solo or Spike Kettle owners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
I am looking at possibly going with Spike for my system but I was hoping to get some info from former or current users. There website is a bit confusing to me.

I received an email the other day that the Spike Solo was in stock. Price with pump and panel was about $2400. However, if I look at the Solo Kettle and all the pump, chiller, basket, some clamps, etc I can get this package for ~$1649. Big item missing is the panel.

Am I looking at this completely wrong in that these two are the same system? One just packed as the "turn key" system and the other a fully DIY? I feel like I am missing something based on price difference. If I am correct why would Spike charge so much more for a system vs parts?

15 gal is what I am looking at.

Even current users will be a bit in the dark because nothing has ever shipped with the new controller. The controller is $550 plus the cable and temp probe.
The pump kit with the system has a few extra parts like TC 90, valve, and TC x male QD adapters. All this stuff adds up.

The solo kettle bought ala carte doesn't come with butterfly valves (x2), diptube/whirlpool (x2), TC x MQD (x2) and the steam condenser lid is optional (but included in the turnkey system.

So I assume I am correct that these are the "same" systems? I only had one butterfly valve in my pricing though.

I would also recommend you consider this system Bobby has designed...

@hilljack13 - I'm getting ready to list this setup for sale if interested!? Pretty much this 15g setup with an extra CIP lid, 1650w element, 1650w hotrod, Chugger pump, and CuS.S. immersion chiller.

@hilljack13 - I'm getting ready to list this setup for sale if interested!? Pretty much this 15g setup with an extra CIP lid, 1650w element, 1650w hotrod, Chugger pump, and CuS.S. immersion chiller.
I looked at the setup on the site. Some how much cheaper, which is good. I'll be looking to buy ~Christmas so won't be able to take advantage just yet.

Back