Sourdough options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! I have a waffle recipe I'll be trying soon.

I had a brief conversation with a guy at work about him borrowing a battery backup for his pellet stove. He was losing power recently and after a few seconds his stove turns off and doesn't come back on. I mentioned that might be bad if he had sourdough rising. Now, he knows I tend to have a variety of hobbies going on, so he asked if I was currently making a sourdough starter. I kind of giggled inside while calmly answering, "Why, yes, as a matter of fact, I AM raising a starter!"

Turns out he had looked into this and was curious about how it would turn out, so later I stopped at the house and brought him my mason jar with refrigerated starter. I still had a small bowl growing besides that, plus the bread rising, AND anothe half a mason jar in the fridge, so I still got plenty going. I'll need to try some of these ideas just to stay sane.

Those cakes look amazing...

I mentioned this in another thread but I was pretty happy with sourdough pancakes. I can't track down the recipe, but it was a typical pancake recipe from scratch that just added starter.
For an added kick I tossed in some peanut butter, grated apples, cinnamon, and a touch of honey. The tang from the starter played with the sweetness of the apples and peanut butter nicely.

Back