Sourdough beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coupleathree

Reaction score
So among other things, a big hobby of mine is making bread and I especially enjoy sourdough. I have a starter that is well established and have been toying with the idea of using it to ferment a beer. Just wondering if anyone has tried this? If not, what are your thoughts about it? I look forward to any and all input. Thanks!

There is almost certainly acetobacter in your sourdough culture, as well as wild yeast and lacto. I wouldn't do it, because I don't like to drink vinegar-beer and the rest of the microbial collection sounds like a crap-shoot with respect to producing a drinkable beer.

That's just my 2 cents though. If you try it, post back with results!:mug:

BallisticGourd said:
Take a look at themadfermentaionist.com. I'm pretty sure I remember a sour he did from a sourdough starter.
Love that blog. Regularly get lost for an hour or two in it. Make a gallon of wort and go for it. What could it hurt? As far as acetobacter. If you like Flanders Reds they have a quality I've heard described as "A-1ish" or "like drinking Worcestershire sauce", so it all depends on your taste. I love them.

Back