Someone didn't get the memo. (Long but worth it)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schneemann

Reaction score
First, a shout out to all the LEO's out there. You guys are under-appreciated and underpaid.

The memo: Don't break into Schneemann's house.

I'm notoriously flakey. I forget things all the time. Forget things I did, forget what I said, forget important dates. Everything. Honestly, it makes me worried for the future. When I get old, will I forget the ones I love?

Today, SWMBO scheduled an appointment for me to get my eyes checked. We have some leftover FSA money that needs to be spent and I need prescription safety glasses. When I arrived at the eye doctor's, I realized I'd forgotten my wallet, so I turned around and came home.

When I got home, I noticed a vehicle parked in front of my house. Because of the way my house is, there's ZERO reason for anyone to be parked in front of my house unless they're visiting my house. I sat & stared at the car a while and went inside. They drove off.

When I got in, I heard some rustling up where my desk is. My office has wood floors and so at first I thought it was one of my dogs, but the sound didn't sound like dog nails.

I went up and there was a guy trying to walk out of the room with my laptop. I punched him with a right jab to the face and ran to make sure he hadn't gotten my gun. I wasn't going to get it & shoot him (per SWMBO, gun and ammo are in two different rooms). I actually just wanted him to GFTO, but I wasn't gonna let him out with my gun. My greatest fear as a gun owner is that something like this would happen and my gun would be out on the street in the hands of some scumbag.

I turned and noticed the drawer where I keep my gun was open and the gun was no longer where it is supposed to be. I chased after the guy but he was gone. I called 911 and gave them a complete & detailed description of the car, its occupants, and the guy who was in my house.

Just a few short minutes later, there was a cop at my house. He told me that some other officers stopped a car matching the description I gave them and that he would take me over for a look. We waited for another officer to get to my house and they had the crime scene people on their way.

The officer who first responded to my house took me to see the getaway driver. I positively ID'ed the vehicle (due to a very distinctive sticker on the side), but I never got a good look at the driver so I couldn't ID him. Luckily, he squealed like a ***** anyway and sold his friends out.

The detective on the scene assembled a photo lineup and asked me to ID the perp. I picked him out right away they brought me home. Perp was apparently driving mommy's car to do this stuff, because [sarcasm]oddly enough, the getaway car was owned by the mom of the guy I identified[/sarcasm]

The good news:
They got NOTHING. I mean, not one thing. Dumb mother****er had a pile of **** waiting at the front door but got none of it when he was running out.

Now I'm cleaning my house (stupid junky turned the place inside out)

Unless you have very young children around, your gun should be loaded and easily accessible to you.

What part of AA do you live in?? I'm glad you scared the guy off, and bonus for socking him one.

Unless you have very young children around, your gun should be loaded and easily accessible to you.

Seems to me if he'd done that the guy would've been armed by the time he showed up!!!!!!

Nice to hear everything's OK.

Wow!!! Well done Schneemann!!!!!! A5s kicking award of the day definitely goes to you!

I am glad you got out of that safe and with no loss to the property. That must have been one hell of an adrenaline rush.

(per SWMBO, gun and ammo are in two different rooms)

Sounds like she did you a REALLY big favor, unless of course the gun was in the pile by the door. Glad to hear you're alright, and it sounds like the didnt get away with hardly anything.

Funny that the driver didnt even honk or anything to warn his buddy, but since they're busted sounds like it'll be a little while before the guys have a need to rethink their strategy.

You need a better place for your gun or perhaps another gun. Keep them loaded, but locked up. I have these in a couple of places in the house and one down at the barn. You can bolt them down so they cannot be stolen and they only take 2 seconds to spring open, even in the dark.

minideluxe_pg.jpg

GunVault - Compact Gun Security Safes - Mini Standard and Mini Deluxe

You need a better place for your gun or perhaps another gun. Keep them loaded, but locked up. I have these in a couple of places in the house and one down at the barn. You can bolt them down so they cannot be stolen and they only take 2 seconds to spring open, even in the dark.

minideluxe_pg.jpg

GunVault - Compact Gun Security Safes - Mini Standard and Mini Deluxe

+1, these boxes are great...especially if you have kids in the house. I have a police officer friend with two 3 year olds in the house. For obvious reasons he wants to have his gun readily available, but not remotely accesible to his kids. He keeps one of these on his night stand, bolted to it...he can open it in under 3 seconds. Keeps his gun loaded and ready to rock, just in case a vengeful ex-con happens to stop by...

I'm glad you're OK and got the chance to pop the guy in the face with a jab. Good thing HE didn't have a gun, he probably mighta shot you. I'm guessing you got your gun back?

+1, these boxes are great...especially if you have kids in the house. I have a police officer friend with two 3 year olds in the house. For obvious reasons he wants to have his gun readily available, but not remotely accesible to his kids. He keeps one of these on his night stand, bolted to it...he can open it in under 3 seconds. Keeps his gun loaded and ready to rock, just in case a vengeful ex-con happens to stop by...

Good thing there's a key in case the batteries go dead.

I think I'll look into these.

:off: I wonder if these things work if you are missing a finger or two? I mean, do you need all 4 fingers to activate the lock?

:off: I wonder if these things work if you are missing a finger or two? I mean, do you need all 4 fingers to activate the lock?

No, you set the "combination"...so if you're missing a middle digit due to flipping off the wrong guy, you'll be fine.

The batteries (size AA) last for years. Mine have gone for over 3 years now without changing. Thanks for the reminder. Time for a new set so they won't be dead when I may ever need in one of them.

I believe the ones edwort linked are not fingerprint activated, just uses the handprint to help you find the keys in the dark, so if you are missing a finger there won't be any issues, just use another finger to hit that button.

Also most of the fingerprint ones can have 30 fingerprints loaded in to them, so I'd probably do at least a couple of mine, one of my wife's and maybe a trusted friend. (they only use one fingerprint, not all 5)

Several I've seen have a cord to hook up to AC, and the batteries can act as backups.

I'm sooooooo glad I live where I do. No need for security systems, loaded guns, or anything like that. I don't even lock my house. Not that there is anything worth stealing....

I'm sooooooo glad I live where I do. No need for security systems, loaded guns, or anything like that. I don't even lock my house. Not that there is anything worth stealing....

Methamphetamine should have changed all of that even in Wisconsin. Some of my wife's relatives live in Monroe and meth is rampant there. To be blunt, I work in Crime Scene and I wouldn't live without a gun now. Our people cover mostly small towns and rural areas who don't have their own trained CSIs. Crime is as rampant there as in the cities. My co-worker lives on the outskirts of a town of a couple hundred. She now haves a 12-guage ready to go after seeing the work we have. She also locks her front door and no longer leaves her car keys in the ignition overnight.

how'd they get past the dogs? or do you have them little rat furred things that get punted? this is the dog ya need

7316-PICT0146.JPG
[/IMG]

seriously i'm glad ya caught the little bastiges and that noone was huurt, home invasions can be bad for all concerned, and you smoking one in the gut is the least of his worries now

That is effin insane in the brain. I am glad that you are ok, they did not get ****e and got busted. I do not own a firearm as of yet but it makes me think. In Colorado we have the " Make My Day Law". So we can shoot some stiupid ****er if they break into our house.
On an related issue I was back in NYC visiting the fam and my ex gf and her fiance were coming to get some of her stuff from the house and one of my neighbors called the cops on them. 4 squad cars and five cops surrounded my house. I knew she was there and she has a key and the code for the alarm but my neighbors (I am not sure which one called) knew that. They deserve at least a case of homebrew for that RAOK

1-0 for the good guys!

A few of the dirt bags get killed breaking into houses or trying to rob stores every month around here, glad you got your jab in!

Good Job, This being Maryland, I'm a bit surprised they didn't file assault charges against you for hurting the poor scumbag who really isn't at fault because daddy didn't love him enough.

The batteries (size AA) last for years. Mine have gone for over 3 years now without changing. Thanks for the reminder. Time for a new set so they won't be dead when I may ever need in one of them.

Yep out where you live you never know, a rattle snake might try to break in to the brewhaus and drink your beer. :D

Good Job, This being Maryland, I'm a bit surprised they didn't file assault charges against you for hurting the poor scumbag who really isn't at fault because daddy didn't love him enough.

HAHAHAHAHAH One of the cops said "Wait till he sues you for tripping on his way out the door!"

I am going to assume that you are a "Street Cop". I am a Corrections Officer. Once this guy gets let off the hook by our broken judicial system, goes out and commits bigger and more heinous crimes that he learned how to do from the other, better criminals in State prisons, he will eventually end up in my care, asking for toilet paper, tooth paste and a pass for the rec yard. No worries. Bad blood will out!

HAHAHAHAHAH One of the cops said "Wait till he sues you for tripping on his way out the door!"

I was sued about 20 years ago after some jackass broke into my house and was bitten by my dog.
The thing that pissed me off was when the kid, who lived down the street from me, claimed that he didn't know I had the dog(an 85 lb. shepherd/boxer) until it jumped on him, even though he had walked past the house numerous times, the dog barked every time someone he didn't know came to the door, and I had signs on my gates AND my front door warning about the dog !
When my lawyer pointed out the signs in court, the kid's lawyer countered that I should have had the signs in Spanish also, because 25% of the neighborhood was Hispanic, and this idiot couldn't READ English !

Back