Good beer in Maui and Honolulu?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going on a trip, and will be in Maui (Lahaina area mostly) for a few days, and Honolulu for two days before moving on. Any cool places I should try? My son says I have to go to “Cheeseburger in Paradise” with him as he remembers loving it, and it’s walking distance to my hotel so I’ll be going there for him. I may be without him for at least one of the days in Honolulu (depending on when/if he gets liberty) so I’d love some advice for a not “Cheeseburger in Paradise” place……he’s the one guy in the Navy who doesn’t drink much and not much beer at all.

In Maui I’ll have a car, but prefer not driving much after dark or drinking. I’ll be mostly in Ka’anapli when not out sightseeing with a friend.

This trip has come up suddenly, so I haven’t had much time to do a lot of research. This summer is going to be busy, since I’ll get to finally spend more than a day or two with my son in July- we’ll be roadtripping across the country after Hawaii as he changes duty stations from California to Maryland, but I’m likely to just go with him from Las Vegas back to the UP. I went three years without seeing him at all, so this is pretty exciting for me!

Got nothing - Hawaii is the only other state I haven't been to besides Alaska - but this sounds like fun for you both - and Mr Yooper if he's tagging along, too!

he’s the one guy in the Navy who doesn’t drink much and not much beer at all.

I am so sorry...

Cheers anyway! 😁

Try this and report back. Lived on Maui, Kahuluhi, in 79-81 (7th/8th grade). Dad and stepmom played in a Jazz band at the Blue Max in Lahaina if it's still around. Loved living there. Enjoy your visit.

Screenshot_20230610-180536.png

Got nothing - Hawaii is the only other state I haven't been to besides Alaska - but this sounds like fun for you both - and Mr Yooper if he's tagging along, too!

I am so sorry...

Cheers anyway! 😁

No Mr. Yooper this time- he HATES traveling and only goes with me if it involves fishing (like Alaska and Florida).

This time I’m meeting a friend in LAX and she’s going to Maui with me, and then she’s flying back to Tampa when I go on in 5 days to meet up with my son on Oahu.

Hawaii is the 50th state- and the 50th visited for me as well. So it’s my 50/50 celebration.

I picked Maui for my first stop, but I had Honolulu originally only. Then someone told me it’s $44 to fly from island to island and it’s cheaper to fly to Maui for me than Honolulu. So I booked that. Then called a friend and invited her for a short weekend to Maui, and here we are.

I have to meet my son in Honolulu on a specified date for a Tiger Cruise (a Tiger is a civilian).The aircraft carrier will be my home for a period of time, and apparently “NO ALCOHOL” is important to them so I want to make sure I have enough in my bloodstream to last until we arrive at the last port. :)

The last time I was there (2018) I recall Maui Brewing Company in Lahaina being pretty good, and they serve a full menu so it's a great place to hang out for lunch.

The other thing I'll say about Maui is to do sunrise at Haleakala. It's rough, because you pretty much have to leave Lahaina about 3 AM to drive up there by sunrise, but it's an AMAZING experience.

If you and your friend are very fit, I also recommend hiking the Haleakala crater. You can leave straight from the parking lot where you park for the sunrise. However, this is only something I'd attempt if you consider yourself "hiking fit", b/c it's over 11 miles and culminates in a 1500 foot elevation climb at the *end* of the hike up switchbacks. It is NOT a trivial stroll, but it's one of the most stunning places I've ever hiked in my life.

I also recommend Maui Brewing Company, they have a brewpub location in Lahaina as well as their main brewery in Kihei.

I am a big fan of the Coconut Porter, they had an imperial coconut porter last time I was there.

+1 to both Kohola and Maui Brewing. We visited both when we were there a few years back. Most of the local pubs carry one of them as well as Kona (I cannot get enough of their Golden Ale). On a side note, good to see you lady!! We've missed you.

No Mr. Yooper this time- he HATES traveling and only goes with me if it involves fishing (like Alaska and Florida).

This time I’m meeting a friend in LAX and she’s going to Maui with me, and then she’s flying back to Tampa when I go on in 5 days to meet up with my son on Oahu.

Hawaii is the 50th state- and the 50th visited for me as well. So it’s my 50/50 celebration.

I picked Maui for my first stop, but I had Honolulu originally only. Then someone told me it’s $44 to fly from island to island and it’s cheaper to fly to Maui for me than Honolulu. So I booked that. Then called a friend and invited her for a short weekend to Maui, and here we are.

I have to meet my son in Honolulu on a specified date for a Tiger Cruise (a Tiger is a civilian).The aircraft carrier will be my home for a period of time, and apparently “NO ALCOHOL” is important to them so I want to make sure I have enough in my bloodstream to last until we arrive at the last port. :)
I’m guessing you’re already back, but when you go next time Mr Yooper can enjoy some fishing too!
IMG_4871.jpeg

Mr Merry caught this and I cooked it for dinner at the B&B we booked in Kihei.

I’m guessing you’re already back, but when you go next time Mr Yooper can enjoy some fishing too! View attachment 823462
Mr Merry caught this and I cooked it for dinner at the B&B we booked in Kihei.

I actually just got back a couple of days ago! I went to LAX, met a friend, and went to OGG (Maui) for 6 days. From there went to HNL (Waikiki) and Pearl Harbor (2 days) and then onto the aircraft carrier for 6 days, to San Diego, then flights over two days to home. I'm still processing much of the trip- as I lived in the berthing like a sailor and experienced my son's "Take your mom to work week" on the USS Nimitiz!

I liked Kihei and of course Maui Brewing Company. I went snorkeling and saw a lot of fish....but didn't go fishing. I sure hope Mr. Yooper goes with me next time. I loved Maui. Oahu and Waikiki not so much.

Loved the helicopter ride over Molokai' and Lanai' and seeing Mauna Loa from the air and from Halekalea. Found too many people in Lahaina but I loved Ka'anapali and Kihei and parts of Paia.

I really had a blast on the aircraft carrier, watching my son on the flight deck and seeing him send off F-18s over and over and those awesome arrested landings.

There was a brewpub in Waikiki that had really solid beers too- Waikiki Brewing Company (and good food), and I had a chance to stop at Stone Liberty station on my way home.

The last time I was there (2018) I recall Maui Brewing Company in Lahaina being pretty good, and they serve a full menu so it's a great place to hang out for lunch.

The other thing I'll say about Maui is to do sunrise at Haleakala. It's rough, because you pretty much have to leave Lahaina about 3 AM to drive up there by sunrise, but it's an AMAZING experience.

If you and your friend are very fit, I also recommend hiking the Haleakala crater. You can leave straight from the parking lot where you park for the sunrise. However, this is only something I'd attempt if you consider yourself "hiking fit", b/c it's over 11 miles and culminates in a 1500 foot elevation climb at the *end* of the hike up switchbacks. It is NOT a trivial stroll, but it's one of the most stunning places I've ever hiked in my life.

We didnt make sunrise, but we did hike a bit!

We also drove the North Shore, well............I drove while my friend went from closing her eyes and gasping to saying "LOOK AT THAT!" West Maui's North Shore | Maui Guidebook

We dropped in a helicopter to Jurassic Falls on a clear day on Molokai' (one of the few!). We snorkeled Ka'napali and took a barefoot sunset cruise from that beach. Really 6 days was about right on Maui for us, but still not nearly enough!

Two days in Waikiki was too much. Like New York City, but with palm trees.

We went past the Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor- and a rainbow appeared over the entire Harbor as the colors were raised on our ship and I stood there, solemn and thankful. I boarded the aircraft carrier in Pearl Harbor, and ended my cruise in San Diego, nearly a week later.

It was something to always remember.

Try this and report back. Lived on Maui, Kahuluhi, in 79-81 (7th/8th grade). Dad and stepmom played in a Jazz band at the Blue Max in Lahaina if it's still around. Loved living there. Enjoy your visit.

View attachment 822125

Kohola was closed when we were in the area- we missed it! Next time for sure. A guy in an elevator was wearing one of their shirts and I wanted to get a beer there so bad.

Next time you go to Hawai'i, hop up to Kauai. It's more laid back than some of the other islands. We just spent a week there in April, stayed at Waimea Plantation Cottages. Kauai Island Brewing in Eleele (south side of the island) has very nice beers and decent food. The coffee plantation a few miles from there is worth a stop and has interesting tours. And a drive up Waimea Canyon is awesome.

20230413_092326.jpg

As someone who has become hella spoiled wrt "creature comforts" I cannot imagine the 6 days berthed on an active carrier.
Sounds extreme. But it must've been extraordinarily cool to watch your son at work, and all in all probably worth it.

Cheers!

Sounds like a fantastic trip and some great experiences. A week ago I returned from a four day road trip of the western UP. My two brothers and I made that journey stopping a few brew pubs along the way. Different scenery from Hawaii but equally exciting.

As someone who has become hella spoiled wrt "creature comforts" I cannot imagine the 6 days berthed on an active carrier.
Sounds extreme. But it must've been extraordinarily cool to watch your son at work, and all in all probably worth it.

Cheers!

Oh, yes it was tough- two of the sailors in the bunks above me worked nights, and they would come down to pack their gear on the last couple of days, usually between 11 and 3:30 AM and I got up around 4:30 anyway....so didn't sleep. And from Hawaii to San Diego is a three hour time change, so we 'lost' an hour a night for three days in a row, so I was definitely sleep deprived. And you can't turn over or sit up in the bunk, and there are no chairs/seats to speak of except in the dining area. The bathrooms (heads) were awful- and mold was everywhere. The food was beyond terrible- the best was ice cold mac 'n cheese, as the food warmers didn't work. I grabbed a brat once, as it looked good and I took a bite and it was completely raw inside. With the billions spent on the military, at least the prison food boxes they get in bulk should have someone actually cook them or at least heat them above spoilage temperatures. Yes, the boxes say "For prisons or military use only". They throw out a literal ton of food many days, and portions on protein are tiny, even if they are cooked. It was eye opening for me.

But the airshows! Watching my son and the rest of the flight deck send off over a dozen F18s in just a few minutes was amazing- and the other aircraft aboard also.

Back