some questions about my stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diatre

Reaction score
Ok, so i made a beer and it is in primary fermentation right now. i have a few questions about it and was wondering if anyone could help me. im a new brewer. 1) its a dark beer like i wanted it to be, does that mean its a stout? (its not transparent at all). and i added a lot of hops and aroma hops. 2) it is in primary fermentation, do i have to lager it or can i just bottle after i get 3 meter readings the same? or even when they are the same for 3 days does it still needs to be in the carboy for a wile, and if so how long?

i have listed the recipe below, i made a one gallon batch to start it out because i don't know how it is going to turn out and its the first one i have made on my own and not followed a direction pad. i just dont wanna bottle too early and have them boom on me.

1 pound muntons black patent 2 row
1 pound muntons maris otter 2 row
1 pound muntons extra dark DME
1 oz german magnum hop pellets (alpha 12%)
1 oz willamette hop pellets (alpha 5.8%) aroma.
coopers ale yeast.

OG 1.064

thanks

Diatre

That's enough Black Patent for 10 gallons. Going to be very roasty. I don't like the taste of Black, so I usually use Roasted Barley in my Stouts.

That's enough bittering hops for 5 gallons. I've not checked it out, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's of the order of 200 IBUs; very bitter.

I assume you steeped the grains, so you are not getting much out of the 2-row; almost a waste of grain. If you had mashed the grains, you probably would have a gallon of beer around 1.100 for your SG.

yes it does taste like ashes. but oddly i dont mind it. and it is roasty. and yes its IBU's are around 227; the bitterness has lasted through two cigarettes and subway. and yes i steeped the grains. it was all i had though.
when would you lager it or bottle after about 10 to 14 days?

thank you

Diatre

with my aroma hops too.. idk if they will add any IBU but if they do then it'll be 253.70 by my calculations but i may be wrong

Diatre

You have created a real abomination of science here. I don't think you can really follow a standard rule set when bottling this beer anymore. You just said that it's a Stout that is bitter enough to outlast some cigarettes and a Subway sandwich, and it tastes like ashes. You can pretty much do whatever you want with it at this point, and nobody will be able to question you.

The Palmer book is online: http://howtobrew.com/

A couple more things, dark doesn't necessarily mean it's a stout, and lagering is colder fermentation usually with lager yeast as opposed to ale yeast. Palmer covers that stuff.

Back