Soda Syrup Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimothyJennings

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been brewing sodas for a couple years now and am planning to start a beverage business in the next couple months. In order to market my sodas to restaurants, I would like to develop syrup versions of my recipes, but I don't really know where to begin. So I thought I'd see if anyone here had suggestions!

Here is my current process:

0. Sanitize equipment and bottles
1. Steep the herbs and spices in boiling / simmering water
2. Remove the spices after a certain amount of time (usually 30 minutes)
3. Add sugar and other flavors as needed
4. Let it cool
5. Bottle it
6. Force carbonate it

Before getting started officially , I do plan on getting in touch with some bottling companies regarding production options (among other things!)

Any tips for making syrup would be appreciated!

I've been making more syrups lately and I've found a few resources that have helped along the way.

I'd highly recommend picking up a copy of Fix the Pumps, which covers all things soda in a rigorous way. The book often references Dr. Saxe's Hints to soda water dispensers, still useful 120+ years later.

To make syrups shelf stable they should be either have a high sugar:water ratio (which poses challenges for mixing), or low in ph with the addition of acids. Reading the labels of commercial syrups will give some indication of the variety of preservatives used.

I haven't used herbs much, do your sodas retain any green colour from the chlorophyll, or do they tend to be yellow tinted?

Back