So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeast pitched, brewery cleaned up. A little over 5 gallons at .066. I call this recipe “Black Rock Porter”. It splits the difference between Deschute’s Black Butte Porter and their Obsidian Stout. The numbers come out about in the middle of the style guidelines for a Robust Porter at .062 OG, 45 IBU, and 29 SRM. Fall is in the air in this part of the world, so it’s time for a rich, dark, beer.
2188E8E9-026C-4BAE-BB85-2F87502CF332.jpeg

Yeast pitched, brewery cleaned up. A little over 5 gallons at .066. I call this recipe “Black Rock Porter”. It splits the difference between Deschute’s Black Butte Porter and their Obsidian Stout. The numbers come out about in the middle of the style guidelines for a Robust Porter at .062 OG, 45 IBU, and 29 SRM. Fall is in the air in this part of the world, so it’s time for a rich, dark, beer.
View attachment 742751
Good time for a nice rye punch

got me a sparge going...using a nifty new sparge diffuser, i like the fact that the water on top of the grain bed is crystal clear. the mesh keeps the water from mixing at the top totally..see if makes a difference.

1632075625495.png

(and honestly i'm giggling about my mini-HLT! lol ;))

footnote: i swear the camera adds 10 times the dirt and grime to a picture, just like 10 pounds!

Chilling my "kitchen sink" Belgian right now. 4L batch with all the bits and bobs leftover:

Malts (1.305 kg)
700 g (49.8%) — Munich Malt — Grain — 7.9 °L
300 g (21.4%) — Pale Malt 2-Row — Grain — 2 °L
75 g (5.3%) — Maris Otter Pale Malt, Maris Otter — Grain — 2.8 °L
60 g (4.3%) — Pilsner 2-Row — Grain — 2 °L
50 g (3.6%) — Carafoam — Grain — 2 °L
50 g (3.6%) — Caramel/Crystal Malt — Grain — 40 °L
50 g (3.6%) — Caramel/Crystal Malt — Grain — 59.6 °L
20 g (1.4%) — Briess Victory Malt (biscuit) — Grain — 28 °L

Other (100 g)
100 g (7.1%) — Steen's Pure Cane Syrup — Sugar — 59.6 °L

1.085 OG ... planning to pitch Imperial Triple Double.

Trying my hand at a Marzen today; had a very nice one at the Fair the other night, and I've never done one before. Sometimes I do get tired of brewing the same things over and over.
I brewed my recipe today. Looking at my notes, I brewed this same beer exactly one year ago tomorrow. Märzens seem to be a little tricky for me to get just right. I hit my numbers and now I wait for the yeasties to do their job.
E18188E8-C4BB-4575-9D16-7C1160C392DA.jpeg

I brewed my first ever non-kit recipe yesterday- put everything together on my own after doing the research and went with 5 gallons of Vienna Lager!

• 7 lbs of Vienna malt
  • 3 lbs of Munich malt
  • 3oz of chocolate malt
  • .5 oz of Saaz at 60 minutes
  • .9 oz of Saaz at 5 minutes
  • OG of 1.053
  • Two 11.5oz packets of Saflager W 34 70

One of the things the homebrew kits don't teach out particularly well is the importance of temperature control, but enough research stressed the importance of how to lager properly. I used my wort chiller to get the wort down as low as it would take it in a reasonable time- about 70 degrees in an hour of time, maybe a bit longer? I racked it into the fermenter and then put it in the chest freezer to get it down to 55. Hydrated my yeast first before adding it in. Going to let it sit in the chest freezer at that temp.

Ran into a few issues along the way but I suppose that's half the fun!

I was going to start gallon of mead last weekend but decided to order some Go-Ferm and do it right. The Go-Ferm was supposed to get here today but Amazon screwed up and sent a tiny package of Fermaid K instead (not a bad thing to have) If the replacement Go-Ferm gets here tomorrow like it should, I will start a 5L batch of melomel, using 2.5 pounds of unfiltered raw honey of unspecified variety (looks like mostly clover or alfalfa) and 18 oz of apricot preserves with AW4 yeast.

So I haven't brewed in 4 months, and that was a double brew day which I'll never do again. 1st batch didn't turn out quite right, and 2nd batch got infected somewhere along the lines.

This was originally going to be a SMaSH, but I had this .5oz of Zamba left from BBB 2021 so I figured...WTH. Using WLP-067 Coastal Haze...again because...WTH not?

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 3.01.58 PM.png

I am gonna be brewing my second attempt at a Dubbel tomorrow. Frist time I brewed one I entered it in to a competition it averaged a 34.5. Hoping that the lessons I learned and a few leaps of faith will work out on this go around.

In keeping with brewing beers I've never done before, today is an impromptu Munich Helles. Marzen from last weekend is crashing now preparatory to kegging/lagering, and this one will be racked onto that yeast cake. First lager I'm doing in over a year that will get fermented at "real" lager temperatures rather than the warm-fermented ones I usually do. Why? Because I have time to do so, that's why. Plenty in the kegerator for a couple of weeks. Takes my mind off tonight, when I will finally find out how my competition beers did.

that’s a trick I learned from someone else on here. It’s a flexible tube so you can aim the return flow.

mash is done now. i let it mash for about two hours because I was busy playing with my cold smoker :cool: Boiling now.
Marital aid and playing with your smoker .. got it! LOL :yes:

Brew Day tomorrow. I did manage to get things ready today so that should help get things going in the morning. Brewing a Shepherd Neame's Spitfire clone. Not really sure what to expect as I've never had one before. Going by the description I think I'm going to like it.
How'd your brew day go? I also brewed a spitfire inspired best bitter today.looks fantastic so far and smell and taste of the wort was good, though it did come out a little lower gravity than expected. Planning to deviate a little with this one and add a bramling cross dry hop to give a little extra spin of my own on it.
A176D014-EC17-4819-96BC-4E588E834B61.jpeg

342E000F-6786-4E15-8BC5-F760D03D36B4.jpeg

people and their easilly broken hydro pics, now this something that costs enough you don't WANT to drop on the floor! lol :mug:

already active but i had too! only been a couple hours it was 15.1 at pitch... :mug:

1632714023918.png

edit: and i still remember you too! :mug:

Last edited:
How'd your brew day go? I also brewed a spitfire inspired best bitter today.looks fantastic so far and smell and taste of the wort was good, though it did come out a little lower gravity than expected. Planning to deviate a little with this one and add a bramling cross dry hop to give a little extra spin of my own on it.
View attachment 743778
View attachment 743779
Brew Day went well actually. The color of mine seems to be about what you have. I'm hoping I like this style of beer, I don't believe I've ever had anything like it before. The recipe I have calls for a dry hop of EKG. Looking forward to this one.

Wife informed me she's taking the infant to sister-in-law's for a girls'night sleepover leaving me with toddler. I called mother-in-law and asked if she'd take toddler for the night. Yup.

Who's got an empty house all to himself for a whole evening/night? This guy!!!

Sounds like I'm getting in a brew session and falling asleep to a loud epic war movie.

2 year old daughter sent home from daycare with cough and runny nose, second time already in September…frustrating. I will likely be home two days waiting COVID test results. So, Impromptu brew day today, a Cascade and Centennial IPA using whole cone hops from a buddy who gives me a ton each year. Will probably move Fridays brew day of Imperial Stout to tomorrow. When life gives you lemons, make beer!🍻

Brewing something tomorrow morning, just not sure what to brew yet. Had a busy week and forgot about making a starter, so I might do some sort of stout with S-04. Chilly fall nights and jeans/flannel have me in the mood for a stout.

Brewing something tomorrow morning, just not sure what to brew yet. Had a busy week and forgot about making a starter, so I might do some sort of stout with S-04. Chilly fall nights and jeans/flannel have me in the mood for a stout.

I was just thinking that also. I'm going to brew something, just not sure what. I was thinking of a brown or maybe a porter. Need to make up my mind soon.

Latest posts

Back