So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did my brewing two nights ago. Currently have 5 gallons of steam beer in primary fermentation. Airlock is bubbling pretty vigorously closing in on the 48 hour mark and I'm catching a whiff of that unmistakable SafAle US-05 fermentation aroma. :mug:

Mid mash on my first barleywine parti-gyle and Mrs McSpanner decides to remind me we are going to her mum's for tea and I'm driving so can't even RDWHAHB! [emoji36]

Planning my first batch of 2016 for tomorrow night. I need to recover from last night, otherwise I would do it tonight!

My first attempt at Common Room ESB--strike water heating on the stove for my new "mash inside, boil outside, it's winter" 2.5 gallon method.

1/1 starting the year off right. Almost finished with a bavarian hefeweizen. Tonight I am starting a blueberry wheat cider. Tomorrow, I am making a moose drool clone.

Gotta do my part to break the 2015 gallons brewed count.

Brewed a 10gallon batch of pickled willy ipa, it's like dog fish head 60 minute ipa

My first post here. Today we bottled Muntons Nut Brown Ale. This batch was brewed using two cans for 5 gal./23 litres, instead of using one can and adding sugar or malt.

Final strength is about 4.5%. The hydrometer samples tasted good, so I hope the final result after bottling will be good. I'll know in about three weeks I suppose.

Next beer? I don't know. I have been mostly brewing Muntons kits because I don't have the equipment for "real" brewing (yet). I have been generally impressed with the taste and quality though.

Cheers, and Happy New Year 2016!

Just finished cleaning up from brewing a Mild Porter (got a late start), first brew with the igloo 10g mash tun my wife got me for Christmas. Went well possibly the least amount of cursing ever for a brew day. Sunday will be my latest attempt to perfect my ESB recipe...

I just brewed an American wheat beer that I would like to add some cherries to. I have a 3lb can of cherry puree and I will add it to secondary fermentation. I think I would like to put it in a muslin bag, in a big mouth bubbler, to avoid transferring larger pieces of fruit to the keg.

Questions:
If OG was .043, what should FG be at the end of secondary?
How long should it take in the secondary before kegging?
How long is too long for it to sit on the fruit in the secondary?
Will the bag make much of a diffeence when using puree?
Should I sanitize the bag first? and If yes, what is the best method for doing that, spraying with sanitizer solution, or boiling it for 5 mins?

Thanks for your reply and Happy Brew Year!

I just brewed an American wheat beer that I would like to add some cherries to. I have a 3lb can of cherry puree and I will add it to secondary fermentation. I think I would like to put it in a muslin bag, in a big mouth bubbler, to avoid transferring larger pieces of fruit to the keg.

Questions:
If OG was .043, what should FG be at the end of secondary?
How long should it take in the secondary before kegging?
How long is too long for it to sit on the fruit in the secondary?
Will the bag make much of a diffeence when using puree?
Should I sanitize the bag first? and If yes, what is the best method for doing that, spraying with sanitizer solution, or boiling it for 5 mins?

Thanks for your reply and Happy Brew Year!

- (OG - 1) * (1- Attenuation%) you can find your yeast attenuation range from the supplier.

- I usually let it ride for two weeks minimum, if your adding fruit you could kick up fermentation so you'd need to take gravity readings towards the end and wait until they are stable.

-I made an apricot ale last year and I let it sit in the secondary for a month or more without issue.

- I wouldn't worry about using a bag. If the fruit is not pasteurized then I'd bring the fruit up to ~170F and hold for 10mins or so. Then you can freeze it until ready to add or cool it and add it to the secondary.

First brew of the new year today: dark English mild. Trying to up my game by using RO water and adding back minerals and so forth. Looking forward to the results!

I'm bottling this weekend, and generally cleaning the place up. I am trying to revive some Wyeast 1762 slurry that's been in my fridge for a long time. If it wakes up, I'll brew a patersbier next weekend. If not, I might still brew a patersbier and pitch T-58 or Abbeye.

I made it from Thanksgiving to Christmas w/o gaining any weight, then let my guard down and gained almost 10 pounds last week. I feel like a sausage. :p Been drinking beer like it was water; gotta start drinking water like it was water, and beer like an occasional treat for a while. Brewing a low-alky beer will help.

Going to brew tomorrow. A simple SMASH.

First brew of the new year.

First all grain brew.

And it will be my first "personal" brew in over a year. Life happens and sometimes gets in the way of our hobbies. Had a new child (4 is a bit hectic) and got 3 people into brewing. So I have helped and participated with them, but now to take care of myself.

About to mash in on Basic Yellow beer BYB (recipe at brewtoad). It is a good light blonde ale to just keep around. Also have to bottle up 5 gallons of Miller the Muggle. Add yeast nutrient to a couple of lagers to help them get down in FG... kinda a busy home brew day.

Going to start a 1G Chocolate Maple Porter :)

Then, if I am feeling ambitious, I just may break out the big-un and start a 5G brew!:eek: Not sure what it will be, I only have 6 choices!:rolleyes:...LOL

10 gallons of my double chocolate milk stout and 5 gallons of my kolsch yesterday. Bubbles & more bubbles now. Happy Brew Year!

I will split the stout into five that ages in a bourbon barrel and the other five will go straight to nitro when ready.

The wife and I just finished a Belgium pale ale with a touch of sweet orange peel at flame out. Looking forward to the first pour in about two months.

Brewing a Baltic Porter. Just started a 90 minute boil. Using a yeast cake from a steam beer I just racked over to secondary.

I brewed a dunkel as my last brew of 2015 on NYE. Then started 2016 with an early morning brew of a helles. Today, I finished off cooling down a traditional bock to add to the fermentation chamber. Yup, it's lager season here in the northeast!

@johnmac22 busy man! I just moved to a new house, no SWMBO(yet) and same old job...Well, 1 out of 3..LOL...

Anyway, I am off on Tuesdays, so when I got home tonight I went ahead and did the lazy man way and brewed an all extract...Supposed to be a Vienna Lager, but seems pretty dark for a lager..BUT, we shall see..:) Just MIGHT get ambitious and bottle my #3 batch..But I really do need to get on to a 5G batch as I have a big get together coming end of April and need more then a sixer(Big group thing), and IF I get started sooner rather then later it will give it a chance to condition and be some GOOD beer and not just OK..Anyone have any 'motivation pills'?LOL

I was planning on ice fishing but not sure if there will be enough ice. I was not planning on brewing this weekend so I ordered a grain bill online for an amber when I fit it in the schedule. Won't be here in time so I guess I'll likely be going to the local shop for a Centennial Columbus Blonde recipe I'm throwing together for SWMBO.

Back