So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing Jim's Oatmeal Stout (again!) and using 1450 this time. Should be ready in time to bring it to a party in March.

I'm going to be kegging my dunkel tomorrow. It's going to be interesting to see how it tastes... I had to change my bittering hops because the ones that came with the kit disappeared when I was steeping the specialty grains. The ones that came with the kit were like 2% AA, and I used Mt. Hood which is like 10% AA, so I suspect it's going to be very hoppy. :)

Going to get started with homebrewing again this weekend.

Starting with a 1-gallon kit Bruxelles Blonde from Brooklyn Brew Shop to get my feet wet again. Never brewed a Belgian ale before so this should be fun.

BIAB method as my pots & space in the apartment are limited.

Looks like I'm all set to brew my next IPA this weekend.

Red Zombie Red IPA
OG: 1.068
FG: 1.013
2-row, Munich, CaraRed, Carapils
Amarillo, Citra, Cascade, Nugget, Galena

Brewing two 5 gallon batches this weekend:

Centennial IPA
8.5 lb DME light
1 lb Crystal 40L
1 oz Centennial @ 60
1 oz Centennial @ 20
2 oz Centennial @ 5
1 oz Centennial (Dry hop)
WL California Ale Yeast

Centennial Double IPA
9.5 lb DME light
1.25 lb cane sugar
1 lb Crystal 40L
2 oz Centennial @ 60
1 oz Centennial @ 20
2 oz Centennial @ 5
1 oz Centennial (Dry hop)
WL California Ale Yeast

That's the current plan unless anyone has some good advice to give! :)

I'm bringing extract back for a series of SMaSH beers to test out new hops. Each will be about 1.050 OG and about 50 IBUs (mostly late additions). 1/2 gal batches w/ MO extract.

Hops to try out: Motueka, Citra, experimental, calypso, Saphir, Waktu, Admiral, and Galaxy. Used some before, others not at all--but need to isolate & understand them. S05 to ferment. Depending on my laziness, I may start a thread in the Ingredients sub-forum for tasting notes.

Im doing a double brew day this weekend..a czech pilsner and a bavarian helles(again) love that SH##

Two 3.7 liter starters are on stirplates as I type getting ready for ten gallons of Doppelbock on Sunday! Wish I could brew more than once a month, but finances dictate that I keep my job to support my habit...

Quick question, I'm a new brewer . I had an American cream ale in the primary for 7 days then transferred it to secondary . I'm about 11 day in to the process ... When should I bottle ? Beer smells awesome . Straw colored but a little foggy .

Quick question, I'm a new brewer . I had an American cream ale in the primary for 7 days then transferred it to secondary . I'm about 11 day in to the process ... When should I bottle ? Beer smells awesome . Straw colored but a little foggy .

There is no X days primary, X days secondary when it comes to fermentation. Yeast is a living thing and as a result can be fickle and does not like to stick to convenient schedules for you. I find, expecially with simple brews like cream ales, leaving it in primary the whole time and skipping secondary entirely works just as well.

To answer your question though, you want to bottle after you get the same gravity reading over 3 days. Basically ake a reading, wait 2 days and take another. If the gravity is the same, then fermentation is done and you can safely prime and bottle. If it is still dropping, then fermentation is still going on and you will either overcarb or get bottle bombs.

Brewing 10 gallons of "Tits Up" IPA

Grains:
34.3 lb Marris Otter Pale Malt
1.91 lb Cara-Pils Malt
1.91 lb Caramel Malt 10L
0.48 lb Honey Malt
1.91 lb Corn Sugar

Hops:
Columbus 1.91 oz
Nugget 1.91 oz
Centennial 6.2 oz
Cascade 4.76 oz
Amarillo 4.29 oz
Crystal 1.91 oz
Summit 1.91 oz

Chimay Blue (Grand Reserve) clone...I made the starter two weeks ago, but ended up not brewing then, so it's been in the frig waiting. I'll pull it out tonight so that it is ready to roll in the morning.

Brewing up version 2 of an Irish red this morning. Brewed it a few weeks ago but miscalculated my specialty grains so it ended up more like an irish brown. I have yet to make a solid irish red so I'm going to get it this time! that first batch will still get fermented and experimented with :mug:

Looks like sunday is Brew Day since we get a break in the weather! Calling for 32 and partly sunny tomorrow, then back to single digits next week. I'll be steaming up the garage with a Simcoe/Amarillo pale, using FWH for the first time. Should be sweet! :mug:

Brewing up a leftover ingredients black IPA this sunday. Gonna break in my 6.5 gallon big mouth bubbler :D

Well I lied. I found out yeserday that a buddy is coming to town tonight (which means ill be hurting tomorrow morning) and then we are disc golfing all day sunday since it will be 62* :D

I ended up brewing an Aussie "lager" extract kit that I got for christmas after I got home from work yesterday. All-grain is great but I forgot how easy and convenient doing an extract kit is :rockin:

75 for tomorrow's high in the PHX.
plan is for a robust porter with hatch chile and a habanero.
will be primaried for 2 weeks or until FG, then peppers added for a week, then kegged and rested at room temp for a month.
Hawt!

Well I lied. I found out yeserday that a buddy is coming to town tonight (which means ill be hurting tomorrow morning) and then we are disc golfing all day sunday since it will be 62* :D

I ended up brewing an Aussie "lager" extract kit that I got for christmas after I got home from work yesterday. All-grain is great but I forgot how easy and convenient doing an extract kit is :rockin:

Its funny. I did a PM last weekend and actually had more trouble and took longer than I do with my AG batches. I am sure an AE would have given me less trouble. I still think I enjoy AG better, though it takes a while.

Its funny. I did a PM last weekend and actually had more trouble and took longer than I do with my AG batches. I am sure an AE would have given me less trouble. I still think I enjoy AG better, though it takes a while.

Haha im glad that didnt happen yesterday, I didnt have much time before it got dark. I got off work at 3, starting heating the water at 3:20 and had the yeast pitched and everything cleaned up by 6. I had steeping grains but not sure if that counts as a PM as ive never done one. Do you actually have to mash for a whole hour with the specialty grains?

Going to brew on Sunday. My wife is due with a baby so she gonna pop any minute I will be taking a chance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

5 minutes to go in the boil of my first effort at Centennial Blonde. Ferm envy with day trippr's ferm fridge above. dc Hokie has the best avatar on the site ;)

Haha im glad that didnt happen yesterday, I didnt have much time before it got dark. I got off work at 3, starting heating the water at 3:20 and had the yeast pitched and everything cleaned up by 6. I had steeping grains but not sure if that counts as a PM as ive never done one. Do you actually have to mash for a whole hour with the specialty grains?

Sorta. The batch I brewed asked for a 45 min mash. Of course problems such as stove not being up to the task for the quantity of liquid to bring to boil. Then when I moved it from the infrared glass top stove to the ancient coil stove, I quickly got a boil, but then had way too much boiloff (lost almost 1.5 gallons in the hour of a partial boil).

Glad your brew was successful.

Going to brew on Sunday. My wife is due with a baby so she gonna pop any minute I will be taking a chance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

My wife is due in 37 days so I'm currently on my second batch of the weekend (choc porter last night). Maris otter cascade smash.

Jamils "Who's Your Taddy Porter" brown porter. No brown malt at the lhbs, so we subbed in some amber. Hope it turns out.

Doing a couple of specialty grain + extract brews this weekend. Did an Imperial IPA with Columbus, Amarillo and Citra yesterday (will dry hop with Centennial, Amarillo and Citra) and working on an Imperial Stout today.

The kitchen has a beautiful chocolatey-roasty smell right now.

Back