So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm about 45 minutes into mashing my first AG brew: a simple blonde ale with a touch of rye and palisade hops. (Gottal love 9/80 work schedules and quiet Friday mornings. Just me and the dogs.) It's raining at the moment but it's supposed to dry-out for the boil in another hour or two.

The partial mash Kolsch that I just racked out of primary is fantastic. (It's amazing what proper fermentation temperatures can produce.) I'm hoping it will drop clear in the garage for bottling on Sunday.

Mashing 10 gallons of Irish Red Ale as we speak
GO BEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Given that I have all three of my carboys full and fermenting, and I'll be busy with other things both Saturday and Sunday, no, I won't be brewing this weekend. I mean to bottle my brown ale on Saturday, but it may have to be put off for a week while I'm down in St. Augustine, FL, visiting family.

If I can get my other errands run I am going to brew. Not sure what yet but I will brew. Now I really should get my lazy butt of the internet and get them done so I can brew. Come one motivation. You can do it!

I bought the ingredients for CBBaron's Smooth Oatmeal Stout earlier this week. My plan was to put it on last night but that got derailed. Saturady evening is the new launch time.

I've scaled CBBaron's recipe down for a 15 litre batch and I'm replacing the Williamette hops with some wild Cluster (I think they're Cluster) hops I found/picked/dried back in September.

Just created a brewday checklist and am getting started on building the water profile for a rye amber. Will run out to the LHBS after work to buy enough grains, hops, and yeast to pump out 20 gallons this weekend.

First AG brew day went great! Long...5 hours start to finish...but I put wort and yeast in a fermentor, so I'm calling it a success. I'm amazed at how clear the wort became as the cold break dropped like a bomb. Never seen anything like that with extracts in the mix. Brewhouse efficiency was reasonable at 77%. Next time I'll know to expect a faster boil off rate thanks to my wide 40qt pot. Next weekend: the rye monster.

First AG brew day went great! Long...5 hours start to finish...but I put wort and yeast in a fermentor, so I'm calling it a success. I'm amazed at how clear the wort became as the cold break dropped like a bomb. Never seen anything like that with extracts in the mix. Brewhouse efficiency was reasonable at 77%. Next time I'll know to expect a faster boil off rate thanks to my wide 40qt pot. Next weekend: scary rye monster.

5-6 hours is my AG brew day. There seems to be a lot of variation depending on the size of the grain bill .. longer lauters? It sounds like it went pretty well for you.

I will be brewing a Pale Ale (Edwort's Haus Pale Ale) on Sunday. I wanted something tasty, with a quick turn around, that I can include in gift packs for family and friends this Christmas.

5-6 hours is my AG brew day. There seems to be a lot of variation depending on the size of the grain bill .. longer lauters? It sounds like it went pretty well for you.

A little extra time went into the boil since I ran off more wort than I had intended, and I thought I needed to boil off nearly a gallon before I could start the timer. A quart would have been about right. Backing-down the boil at the half hour mark got me pretty close to what I had intended, so I'm calling it good enough.

I planned every step ahead of time and printed-off a queue sheet with volumes, temperatures, etc., and I think that's why it was relatively painless. I didn't have to think too hard during a new process with a timer ticking down.

On monday Im gonna brew a . . . Hazelnut nut brown ale. (ha! nut nut). My friend has been asking me to do one for a while now. I will probably just wing it on my Beersmith.

ANY GRAIN BILL SUGGESTIONS?

Just about to start brewing a Scottish ale. Any suggestions on boosting ABV? Got some dextrose and maltodextrin. Also have about 4 lbs of corn sugar. Wondering what the better choice will be.

and maltodextrin is basically just going to add mouthfeel right?

Maltodextrin is essentially unfermentable, so you won't get the 'booze boost' you're looking for from it.

Dextrose is almost fully fermentable, but it will thin the body. My two cents? If you want it boozier, up the grain bill.

more base grains equals more abv. you can add a bit of a boost with some fully fermentable sugars but in general it will lighten the final body.

Will be brewing a robust porter Monday, have the starter going already.

Working on a recipe for a nice IPA. Still have some fresh mosaic (frozen) and some Conan yeast left.

brew day started off with a leaky mash tun. got that fixed, mashed in late, then had to postpone the boil until after dinner.

back at it, freezing temps & strong winds, took forever to get the boil going with burner maxed. finally got it boiling and first hops addition in at 10pm

shouldn't have a problem cooling the wort, hopefully have yeast pitched by midnight

Just finished cleaning up my gear.

15 litre batch of CBBaron's Smooth Oatmeal Stout is now sitting in my temp controlled chest freezer waiting for the S-04 beasties to wake up and do their thing (I pitched the yeast dry).

I also just finished cleaning my gear (and my kitchen).

3 gal - 2 buck chuck wine
5 gal - Belma Blonde (SMaSH)
5 gal - Narzen (November marzen)

it's going to be a good winter :)

Brewed my All Brittaina this morning, it was a request from my wife, I was supposed to brew the Bee Cave Kolsch, defo next week.

corkybstewart said:
I was gonna brew an IPA but winter arrived and my water well hose is frozen solid so I can't chill my wort. Next Sunday I'll do it.

I had a similar problem, except it was I, not the hose, that was frozen. It's -10°c out. I'm going to wait until Wednesday when it will warm up to a balmy -2°c

Just pitched in the last hop addition for an APA I am working on. Should have it in the FV in 30 mins. :mug:

Finishing boil on a 3 crop cream take off. Used long grain and grits in cereal mash, halleratau and 05 yeast. Hope to have it ready on keg by week of Xmas.

image-4155548968.jpg

Finished brewing my "old faithful ipa". It is bubbling away already

Back