So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am throwing together my first recipe. It is an ICA (Inda Chocolate Ale) or maybe an IBA (India Black Ale). I don't know. Here is my simple recipe...

6 lbs light DME 1/2 early 1/2 late additions
1 lbs crystal 40L steeped at 160* 45min
1 lbs Chocolate Malt steeped at 160* 45min

1 oz Simcoe 60min (12-14%aa)
2 oz Saaz 5.8%aa 15 min
1 oz willamette 4.8%aa 5 min
1 oz willamette 4.8%aa 1 min
1/2 oz cascade dry hop (4-6%aa)

Yeast- S05

I'll be making a Strong Scotch Ale tomorrow. It's going to be over 9%. 10 Gallons of this stuff is going to last me MONTHS!

We're supposed to get close to 2 feet of snow tonight and tomorrow, so I'll be staying in and brewing up a honey orange hefe.... It's pretty much become my default house brew, everyone I've served it to loves it and I keep it on tap pretty much all the time.

I am throwing together my first recipe. It is an ICA (Inda Chocolate Ale) or maybe an IBA (India Black Ale). I don't know. Here is my simple recipe...

6 lbs light DME 1/2 early 1/2 late additions

Yeast- S05

Curious, what does 1/2 early and 1/2 late additions do to a batch?

We're supposed to get close to 2 feet of snow tonight and tomorrow, so I'll be staying in and brewing up a honey orange hefe.... It's pretty much become my default house brew, everyone I've served it to loves it and I keep it on tap pretty much all the time.

Man I got to check the radar, Boston's supposed to get about a foot on sunday

I'm actually dissapointed that its supposed to be 50F here on Sunday, when I plan on brewing BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde. I was hoping to use some snow to help chill my keggle. That, and I think leaving the garage door open about a foot should keep me breathing oxygen, which is always a plus, and the propane burner would keep me nice and warm. Feel free to let me know if you think that's a bad idea :(

I've made the Centennial Blonde before, and everyone loved it, so this time I'm making 10G of it, which will be my first 10G batch. I was hoping to use a American Ale Yeast starter that I rinsed from my last batch, but I don't think the yeasties are still alive, I've had them in the starter for a few days, and there's no activity.

If they don't go bonkers tonight, then I'll probably buy a pack of the Nottingham yeast for one carboy, and some American ale yeast for the second carboy.

I just transferred my Dead Guy clone to secondary and washed the yeast from the primary also dry hopped my African Amber.

I'm heading to the LHBS in a bit for a new batch, maybe an IPA. Any extract recipe suggestions?

I'm actually dissapointed that its supposed to be 50F here on Sunday, when I plan on brewing BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde. I was hoping to use some snow to help chill my keggle. That, and I think leaving the garage door open about a foot should keep me breathing oxygen, which is always a plus, and the propane burner would keep me nice and warm. Feel free to let me know if you think that's a bad idea :(

That's what I did last Sunday, it was cold my double car garage door was opened less than six inches, with a good breeze and me going out the walk in door ever so often to use the garden hose, I survived.

I'll be going with a Brit Wit (10 gallons). about six oclock PM today.

Just about ready to wrap up my brew session for the day, I have my aquarium pump aerating the wort... Today was a breakthrough brew session for me, this was my second batch using my new barley crusher and my efficiency jumped up to 84.2%, my previous best was 76% and my average since I've started keeping track is about 75%. I was expecting 5 gallons @ 1.062 and I ended up with 5.3 gallons at 1.066

Now SWMBO wants to go outside and play in the snow. I guess that's what I get for marrying a Florida native, this is the first time she's experienced a big snowstorm.

Brewing up a easy hefe today hopefully it wont be to cold outside, learned some new brewing tricks that i want to try out, ill be enjoying my other two brews while brewing a third :ban:

Well I was not planning on brewing this weekend since I have 15 gallons taking up all but on corboy.... but then the wonders of Craigslist just got me:
A brew bucket
A 6.5 gallon glass corboy
a bottling bucket
a wort chiller (finally got one)
9 growlers with caps
another wort spoon (My original one just melted last week when wife turned on the oven self cleaning and it was on top)
another capper with caps
another hydrometer and sampler
and a double bubble airlock....

All for $30 and some oxyclean and water to clean up the stuff....

So now that I have something else to use and I really want to use the chiller thinking of brewing up some esb or try to make some new fruity beer for the wife.... ahh I love good deals on craigslist!

That's what I did last Sunday, it was cold my double car garage door was opened less than six inches, with a good breeze and me going out the walk in door ever so often to use the garden hose, I survived.

I'll be going with a Brit Wit (10 gallons). about six oclock PM today.

Sweet! The next time I'm brewing during a cold snap, I'm planning on filling the clean garbage can I use with water the night before, and just park my keggle on top when it's time to chill the wort.

The yeast in my starter finally woke up and started going crazy, so I'm going to do one carboy with them, an american ale yeast (wyeast 1056), and one carboy with Nottingham yeast.

I bought all the ingredients today, and about crapped myself when I realized I paid $7.80 for an ounce of Cascade Hop pellets. I am absolutely going to start buying hops by the pound online.

Hope everyone's brew turns out great!

I bought all the ingredients today, and about crapped myself when I realized I paid $7.80 for an ounce of Cascade Hop pellets. I am absolutely going to start buying hops by the pound online.

Holy flypaper batman! That's crazy. You can get a full pound from HopsDirect for that price.

Technically not brewing, just transferring my AM. Amber into serving keg.
Also making a Christmas list for when we pass the LHBS on the way to grandmas.

HO!HO!HO!

I will be brewing up a Rye-PA tomorrow morning, only my second attempt at my own recipe. I hope it will not suck too bad, then I can tweak it a fuzz here and there to make a proper beer. Wish me luck!

I'm brewing Biermuncher's Sierra Nevada clone recipe right now. I just happened to have all the right hops and such in the house, so that's where the dice landed. :p

I'm brewing my Pale Ale right now. It's also going to be a 5 gallon yeast starter for my annual Barleywine next week. Here's the recipe for the Pale Ale:

#98 Fat Tuba Pale Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
10-A American Ale, American Pale Ale
Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 54
Min Clr: 5 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.25
Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.22
Anticipated SRM: 7.0
Anticipated IBU: 46.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------
Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.045 SG 11.31 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------
Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.
Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager
Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
92.7 9.50 lbs. Pale Malt (2-row) Northwester America 1.036 3
4.9 0.50 lbs. Crystal 35L America 1.035 35
2.4 0.25 lbs. Victory Malt America 1.034 25

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.75 oz. Citra Whole 11.00 33.0 60 min.
0.25 oz. Centennial Pellet 8.70 2.6 15 min.
0.25 oz. Citra Whole 11.00 2.9 15 min.
0.25 oz. Centennial Pellet 8.70 1.9 10 min.
0.25 oz. Citra Whole 11.00 2.2 10 min.
0.25 oz. Centennial Pellet 8.70 1.6 5 min.
0.25 oz. Citra Whole 11.00 1.8 5 min.
0.25 oz. Centennial Pellet 8.70 0.0 0 min.
0.25 oz. Citra Whole 11.00 0.0 0 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 4.60 0.0 Dry Hop
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 8.70 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 10.25
Water Qts: 12.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.17 - Before Additional Infusion
Saccharification Rest Temp : 154 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 15
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 30
Total Mash Volume Gal: 3.82 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit

Was planning to be up at my parents house this weekend for Christmas with the family for the first time in like 6 years. But picked the dog up from the vet after being spayed and due to complications with her operation don't know if we'll make it up there... so if stuck here will be brewing an IPA this weekend.

Was planning to be up at my parents house this weekend for Christmas with the family for the first time in like 6 years. But picked the dog up from the vet after being spayed and due to complications with her operation don't know if we'll make it up there... so if stuck here will be brewing an IPA this weekend.

hope the dog's okay. you can dedicate the beer to her.

Plan on brewing 15 gallons over the next week or so...5 of Orfy's Mild, 5 of Yooper's DFH 60Min, & 5 of Oatmeal Stout from "Brewing Classic Styles". We'll see how that all pans out with the holidays!

Just mashed for what will be 10 gallons of my Beagle Blonde Ale. Replaced the 2-row with Maris Otter this time so we'll see.

Got absolutely nothing done last weekend brewing-wise since both me and Little One spent the weekend recovering from dual head colds. So, hoping the holiday weekend will include:

* Brewing our annual Spruce Porter
* Bottling the IBA that's been in secondary for a few weeks
* Possibly kegging the Irish Cream Stout sitting in the primary
* Most importantly, enjoying some of the fine homebrews sitting in my fridge with friends and family.

This week I'll:

Rack 10 gallons of Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale to kegs.
Rack 10 gallons of Bass Pale Ale to bright tanks.
Brew up 10 gallons of a nice Scottish Export (80).
Crush for 10 gallons of another (12th batch of) Cream of Three Crops.
Clean up 5 empty kegs.
Draw up new recipe for a nice IPA.

...and...drink a few pints of the end product. :D

Brewing a IPA right now to try out the Citra hops.

SG1.065
60 IBU
MO,Crystal

Simcoe,Amarillo,Citra = FWH

Amarillo,Citra = 7min

Citra,Amarillo = 2 min

Citra,Amarillo,Simcoe = Dry Hop

So far the smell is very different than just Simcoe/Amarillo.
Oh its 1pm, time to pour a glass of brew:ban:

I brewed the Bee Cave Rye IPA yesterday. I used all columbus hops though.
Just got 2 feet of snow over the weekend, so couldn't get near my garden hose. I plopped my kettle into a snow bank to chill and it worked surprisingly well.

Checked my beer this morning and it's gushing like crazy. Good thing I always rig a blowoff tube. This will be the starter for my barleywine, which I plan to partigyle into a normalish gravity beer too. Prob wont get to that for a couple weeks though.

haven't decided what i'll brew this weekend or if i want to spend the whole weekend watching football. :mug:

brewing on christmas day...dont know what im brewing yet, (the SWMBO has a beer kit wraped up under the tree) will be a good suprise

Bottling my Blonde Ale, then brewing an American IPA. Probably leaning towards the one from Brewing Classic Styles.

Kegged 5 gallons of RIS. Transferred 5 more gallons to the barrel from the group buy. Just mashed in for a five gallon batch of Oatmeal Stout.

I also tasted my Belgian Pale ale that is in secondary on Blood Oranges and it's pretty awesome. Need to bottle soon.

Back