So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just pitched a jar of 001 slurry into 5 gallons of apple juice. It will become the starter for my 5th annual Santa’s Secret Stash Imperial stout that will sit for a year and get kegged next November. Kegged last years about 3 weeks ago and clocked in at just over 14% and quite tasty.

Probably midweek rather than weekend, but will definitely be brewing something between Christmas and New Year.

Depending on time, I'll either do:

West Coast DIPA
BRU-1 SMaSH hazy
Hazy DIPA

I knocked out the BRU-1 recipe this morning, estimated 6.2% and 45 IBUs. 100% Weyermann Vienna and 300g of BRU-1 Cryo, fermented with my favourite hazy yeast (Lallemand Koln).

But I'll probably do the Westie as I'd like to try out my BrewZilla extended boiler and malt pipe. It'll be nice not to have to reiterated mash for 8+% beers.

I'm going to brew my first lager this week, an International Pale Lager. Probably mid-week actually. I'm off of work and can spend all day if I want. I'm so busy on weekends that I usually brew during the week in the evenings after work. So, now I can finally take my time.

We don't do much in our family anymore for Christmas Day; will visit the parentals later, and talk to the kids on the phone. So why not brew? Low on hops, so I dug deep in the freezer and came up with, not exactly a kitchen sink, but a 'leftovers' NEIPA. No bittering hop, just HBC586 and El Dorado late. Why those? I have the most of them. All my other usual suspect NEIPA hops are either less than an ounce, or gone. Hit up YVH for some crop closeout Citra and Mosaic that will be here later this week, but I wanted to do something today. Smells divine on the mash. Merry Christmas All!!

Plans for a 2.5 gal Amber ale. 1st try @ BIAB.
Brew session went well, still have technical/production issues to work on, management of mash temp and wort boil-off to hit target OG. Ended up adding 1lb of corn sugar to achieve 1.059 OG. Off to the races after 15 hours and down to 1.036 @ 1.83 days of fermentation.

Enjoying a Friday morning brewing a Helles lager. Halfway through the mash cycle. Another split batch. Half as my 2nd attempt at replicating Surly‘s Fiery hell with Puya peppers, hickory chips and half with just the hickory. My first attempt was a yummy Helles but not hot enough. Doubling down on the peppers this time around for the pepper batch. will see in 6-8 weeks how that comes out :)

New Year’s Eve is my holiday out for dinner 98% of the time, haven’t been to a party with strangers for over a decade because of the ridiculous prices, but we have some libations and snack at home watching the ball drop. New Year’s Day is hubby’s football marathon game day and I prepare a nice, but easy dinner, so there is a possibility to get a brew day in last one for the year on Saturday unless it turns into the first brew of 24 on Tuesday. LOL

Mashing in now for last 2 brews of the year. An English ale with SO4 and DIPA with Verdant.
My first try last brew I did 2 weeks ago using Verdant when kegging, I was surprised at how much it brought out the Amarillo and Zappa I used near the end. Like Amarillo on steroids. I'm not a big fan of commercial hazies. Too much like orange juice. Hoping that is from using Citra, which I'm not a big fan of. So going to see how it works for a west coast ipa. Hope the pine comes through.

Yesterday took the brewery on the road for our group brewday that we try to have a couple of times a year. Gotta say, I HATE propane now that I have NG at home; took forever to get to strike temp and boil. Day went well, homebrews I brought were well received (as well as devilled eggs, see previous posts for recipe). Did a Moose Drool clone that the husband decided on, so far doing well. So since nothing going on today, decided to brew the last lager I did again since a lot of it went byebye yesterday. I do love our group brewdays but I really like my home system. If I don't appear again for a few days, Happy New Year to all!

My youngest daughter and I made a Porter this (Saturday) morning. It was her first brew .... obviously since she's 11... and my second (all grain, I did extract many years ago) but everything went so much smoother this time and I am inclined to attribute that to having an awesome helper more so than me actually having learned anything the last time around...She stayed on top of things like not letting me run my pump with valves closed and closing valves before I disconnected hoses, knowing where I put the thing that I just had in my hand and all the other knuckleheaded stuff that I am naturally inclined to do. Shes my brew buddy now and she always shows up sober on brew day and stays that way during the process, I still have a decade or so before I have to share beer in return for help too. Of course, that's more to her benefit than mine since I might actually make good beer in a decade.

But yeah, we hit our numbers almost spot on and had everything in the FC and cleaned up in about 3.5-4 hours.

Brewed a Cali Common. On my patio. On New Year’s Eve. In Montana. Watching the IC water my still-not-frozen lawn.
D022681F-29DC-4078-AC87-6AE779E96CDE.jpeg

My crew did not want to come in this morning, so just mashed in first brew of the year.

Bohemian Pilsner, 10 gallon batch;

20# Weyerman Czech bohemian pils,

FW, 1 oz Spalt
40 min boil, 1 oz Tetanger

34/70 yeast cake from previous 6 batches.

On the boil, roughly 30 min left for that.

Batch of Maibock from extract. Simple recipe. 6lb Pilsen, 3.25lb Munich, 1 oz Perle. OYL-111 yeast.

I've got a stout planned for Wednesday. A bit of an Irish dry, but I'm cleaning the cupboards. No flaked barley, so I'm going with a 2/3 charge of rolled oats. No UK hops, so I'm going with some bittering-only Saaz. No Irish yeast, trying to resuscitate some Foggy London. If that doesn't take, I'll pull out the emergency Notty. Whatever, it'll be a stout of some sort.

It's not the weekend (maybe the thread should be "who's brewing today" instead?) but currently whirlpooling a ~9.2% West Coast IPA

1.085 OG comprising:
  • 44% Czech Pilsen
  • 44% Golden Promise
  • 8% Munich II
  • 4% English CaraMalt
75 IBU
  • 26 IBU of Centennial Cryo at 30 minutes
  • 15g each of Centennial, Mosaic and Amarillo Cryo at 15 minutes
  • 150g whirlpool of Centennial, Mosaic and Amarillo Cryo
Will ferment it with WHC LAX (basically US-05) with a touch of pressure before dry hopping to ~8g/L
First run with my BrewZilla extended malt pipe and boiler

PXL-20240104-102654636.jpg

Think this is the biggest whirlpool I've ever done on anything other than a NEIPA.

PXL-20240104-145638774-PORTRAIT.jpg

Lagerpalooza, doing 2 batches. Had originally planned to do both in a row Thurs, but decided to do the first tomorrow, brewing the other Thurs.

Tomorrow's brew will be Citra lager. Half Pilsner, half Munich I, bittering and aroma with Artic hops (Citra clone) and pitching W-34/70.

Thursday will be Zappa Kellerbier. Pilsner, Munich I, Caramunich, and a bit of Carafa III. Bittering with Triple Perle, and Zappa late boil. Pitching W-34/70.

Get to try out the new pH meter.

Had planned to brew another lager tomorrow since the last one didn't turn out great, but a little surprise in the mail made me change my mind. And now I have a slight moral dilemma; order from YVH arrived tonight, and it's either their idea of a holiday gift or someone in the warehouse goofed. Entire order was sent twice, and I was only charged once. So I just went from a depleted hop freezer to a LOT of my favorite hops. 4lbs Mosaic, and 2lbs each Citra and Crystal. Part of me wants to let them know; for one, to thank them, and two, I know it's a PITA when inventory is off and you can't find the reason why. What would y'all do?

Had planned to brew another lager tomorrow since the last one didn't turn out great, but a little surprise in the mail made me change my mind. And now I have a slight moral dilemma; order from YVH arrived tonight, and it's either their idea of a holiday gift or someone in the warehouse goofed. Entire order was sent twice, and I was only charged once. So I just went from a depleted hop freezer to a LOT of my favorite hops. 4lbs Mosaic, and 2lbs each Citra and Crystal. Part of me wants to let them know; for one, to thank them, and two, I know it's a PITA when inventory is off and you can't find the reason why. What would y'all do?
One extra bag and I might feel ok ignoring it. In this case I'd probably send them an email. I think it's unlikely they would want you to send them back, but I'd feel better letting them know.

Agree. Worst case they will pay you for returning it. Best case they'll just let you keep it but still be happy you let them know.

On topic, I'm planning to brew a small 10 liter batch of a Belgian Pale ale this weekend. Got inspired by this thread and will reuse the cake from a Belgian Blond Ale that is waiting to be kegged. Even though I've harvested yeast for repitching earlier I have never tried just topping up the fermenter on the old cake before, so decided to go small first time

Back