So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what to call what I'm brewing tomorrow. :D It'll almost be a German wheat beer, except I'm using unmalted wheat (50%) instead of wheat malt. The rest will be Vienna. That should have just enough enzymes to convert. Single 30 minute addition of Crystal hops (unless I change my mind at the last minute and use Tradition) to about 15 IBU, and Munich Classic yeast.

ETA: It's mashing right now. I used unbleached all-purpose flour for the wheat. I've done that before, but this time I guess I didn't mix it with the malt well enough because it was a lot harder to get rid of all the dough balls. It's very pale, but smells really good from all that Vienna.

Last edited:
Resting a bit after brewing up a batch of...well, I don't know what I'm calling it. Original recipe was a clone of Elysian Men's Room Original Ale, first batch turned out fantastic; but me being me, had to tweak it a bit. Changed the bittering hop to Cascade, kept the Comet late hops, and decided to see how the Novalager slurry from last week would do on it. First one was done on fresh Notty, but the WF lager I have on tap with Novalager is amazing. Think I'm gonna fall deeply, madly, insanely in love with this yeast, as I have with others in the past; only issue is flocculation is meh at best. No problem for me, I don't care if I can read a phone book (remember those?) through my beer; but if I send this one to a competition will have to be bright and clear.

Brewing a Maibock tomorrow. Did it a couple years ago and dug it a lot, so no changes. Starter isn't, well, starting fast enough for my liking, but that's my fault for not getting it going sooner.

Are you talking about this one day_trippr? How long does that need to age before it's great?

It doesn't need to age much at all, to be honest. I keep the roasty stuff at a moderate level, as one batch I used twice as much roasted barley and that batch really did need a few months to calm down. It takes a bit over three weeks from pitch to keg, then a week or so to bring the carbonation level up from ~.8 volumes to 1.2 volumes, then a few days to chill out in the keezer hooked to the beer gas, and it'll be good to go.

Cheers!

I don't know what to call what I'm brewing tomorrow. :D It'll almost be a German wheat beer, except I'm using unmalted wheat (50%) instead of wheat malt. The rest will be Vienna. That should have just enough enzymes to convert. Single 30 minute addition of Crystal hops (unless I change my mind at the last minute and use Tradition) to about 15 IBU, and Munich Classic yeast.

ETA: It's mashing right now. I used unbleached all-purpose flour for the wheat. I've done that before, but this time I guess I didn't mix it with the malt well enough because it was a lot harder to get rid of all the dough balls. It's very pale, but smells really good from all that Vienna.
Sound like a Belgian wheat beer, called a Witbier

"Paint 'em black!" This stout is totally a hose wrecker...

20230326_100708.jpg

So far so smooth 😊

[edit] All done and the beast is in the ferm chamber (this will be the first run with my newest-to-me Craig's List fridge). End of fly sparge runnings were still 1.038 so I sparged almost an extra two gallons and boiled it down to make a "Junior Stout" just for grins...

stout_10_02.jpg

Got the keg purge setup ready to go...

stout_10_03.jpg

The waiting game begins...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Nah. It'll look like a hefeweizen, taste like a hefeweizen, and quack like a hefeweizen. Nobody will know you used wheat that wasn't malted. It's a hefeweizen.

But Great-Uncle Horst Gunter would definitely not approve.
That's what I think too, but I don't know yet. (how'd you know my great-uncle's name?) 😂 It's kinda between a Hefeweizen and a Belgian Wit. If I'd added orange zest and coriander and used a different yeast it would be a Witbier. If I'd added the orange and coriander but still used Munich Classic yeast it still might be a Witbier but wouldn't taste quite right. (I bet it would still be good) I could brew the same grain bill with a lot more hops and use US-05, K-97, or Nottingham (etc) and brew something American.

The gravity is starting to drop but there's no Krausen on top yet. Once it really gets going I might need to move it to a larger fermenter. It's about 4.5 gallons of wort in a 5 gallon bucket. That could be a mess...

My efficiency was unusually good so it's almost 10 gravity points too high. Not sure what that was about but I'll take it.

Working from home, I’m really enjoying these week day brew days. I can prep everything the night before, then heat up my water as I’m wrapping up my work day.

Brewed a Citra NEIPA

The two hop sacks suspended by magnets look like nut sacks.

42C38196-8A9C-42F8-A93F-A7E8F68A9C06.jpeg

05556DEA-EEE8-484A-A900-A26CBE385050.jpeg

Came within .003 points to my target OG. The only thing I’m really worried about is I used 10% Golden Naked Oats instead of malted oats. Apparently that isn’t a good substitute 😜

70% Golden Promise
10% Golden Naked Oats
10% Flaked Oats
10% White Wheat

Lallemand New England

2:1 Calcium/sulfate ratio

The only thing I’m really worried about is I used 10% Golden Naked Oats instead of malted oats. Apparently that isn’t a good substitute 😜

I like GNO in WCIPAs but its Lovibond rating can vary up to twice the pale end of its range at which point it might be too dark for some folks' hazy brews...

Cheers!

Ramping up to a boil right now on a American Amber Ale. This one's got a little Cascade first wort hops going on along with later additions of Mandarina Bavaria at 10 min and Hallertauer at 5. Then a little more Cascade after flame out for about a 10 min whirl-pool. Gonna be a good one! Have a great weekend everyone!

John

Just put to bed a Fresh Squeezed IPA clone, recipe from my LHBS website. All went well except I decided I wanted to underlet the mash, and hadn't used my HLT in a while. Water running into it through the valve dislodged a rather nasty piece of green mold. Hot water, oxyclean, little brush, rinse rinse rinse, and it's all good now.

brewing an IPA and trying for first time to do a Peanut butter Stout.
after 17 years retiring last one of my original 2 primary buckets which developed some small cracks on the bottom and slow leak.
been using a 6 gal grape juice bucket a local winemaker neighbor threw out. Have a couple. They work good.
plus I like free.

I have quantities of both, and was considering that combo for an upcoming hazy. What's your hop schedule and IBUs look like?
I generally shoot for 1:2 Citra-to-Nectaron, but I have Citra LUPOMAX, so I went closer to 1:3.

For a 2.5-gallon batch:
3 g Magnum (15.1%) @ 60
7 g Citra LUPOMAX (18%) @ 10
20 g Nectaron (11%) @ 10
7 g Citra LUPOMAX (18%) hop stand 10 minutes @ 160 F
20 g Nectaron (11%) @ hop stand 10 minutes @ 160 F
14 g Citra LUPOMAX (18%) dry hop (3 days before packaging)
44 g Nectaron (11%) dry hop

This hits ~50 IBU, not accounting for the hop stand. I've decided I like west-coast bitterness with northeast hops (and water profile). It works for me.

Bottling a Whitbier and a White Stout this weekend. Brewed a Rye Pale Ale using Chinook hops on Tuesday. May brew another Pale Ale with Cashmere hops with weekend.
I make a pale using mosaic and cashmere hops that I really love. Noticably different from my other pale ales.

I'm still trying to do my peated wash and now something for the So Cal Homebrew fest coming up in May. I was thinking the Cream of Three Crops or a Dill Pickle Gose. What do you think? :mug:

I make a pale using mosaic and cashmere hops that I really love. Noticably different from my other pale ales.
that's what i am doing this spring and summer. brewing single hop pale ales and try several new hops to see how they turn out. something different and hopefully find some winners!

About to mill grain for a Marzen tomorrow. Yah, March is over, but I don't care; it's a style I've brewed before with good results. This time breaking out the mash tun for the first time in yonks. I usually do BIAB, but decided to go all traditional and stuff with this one (but not a decoction, I'm too leery of that). Will be the first time using my new oxygenation setup too. And some may scoff, but I'm going to ferment it on my new love affair Novalager; will be the third generation of the first packet I bought of it. Second gen beer is quite tasty, looking for good things with this one.

Back