So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First brew of ‘23. A California Common. Full volume, no sparge, 75 min MIAB. If anyone was wondering, 10.5 lbs of grain, 9 gal of water, and a Wilser bag will fit in a 10 gal Igloo cooler. :cool:
7E918DD7-D6AE-49D2-A726-80E72E10C07F.jpeg

Brewing a Munich Dunkel and I am in the middle of the boil right now. It's pretty cold here on the back lanai. Mashing in at 42 degrees is not something I am used to here in West Central Florida. 50 degrees now (which is the high where I live today) and pretty brisk with the wind. Anyone North and West of me are most definitely laughing at me right now, but feeling cold is relative! Have a great weekend everyone!

John

I feel your pain, but just so you know; I'm counting and I'm too embarassed by my own length of time to state it here.... I'm currently 'taking a break' while I rebuild my brew rig to higher capacity/utility specs and buying finished but un-carbed beer and cider from my LHBS while adding all the 'finishing touches' to my distribution end. :tank:

I did a 15 gallon SMaSH today. 30 lbs Swaen Vienna and Spalter Select hops. I've never used this malt before. S-198 repitched into two and one with Mangrove Jack's Bavarian Lager. It's easy to keep my brew shed in the fifties right now. It should be a malt bomb.

This was the first run with the 20 gallon kettle electric. It works good

mashfull.jpg
brewing.jpg

Brewed a 2.5-gal batch of hazy IPA yesterday for my son's birthday. Recipe posted following this link "Hazy Joe IPA". Took off like it was stolen immediately after transfer to the fermenter. Started @ 1.065 and currently sitting at 1.049 for approximately 24% attenuation. Plan to dry hop with 1 oz. Citra, and 1 oz. El Dorado on Wed or Thur. Perhaps keg/bottle on Day 14? Have read somewhere that NEIPAs should not sit too long in secondary and be processed as soon as fermentation flattens out. Feedback welcome.

I brewed a NEIPA-ish batch today. I got a pack of Helio Gazer and Phantasm powder in a club item exchange. I am targeting a 1.060 gravity (got 1.057) and made a starter hoping to turn this around in 3 weeks for a club meeting. It is getting Citra & Centennial in the whirlpool (2 oz each), Citra in the dry hop (3 oz), and I added 4 oz of Cascade to the mash. I plan to split it into 2 fermenters and add the 1 oz of Phantasm to one of the fermenters. (Hopefully adding the powder directly to a fermenter is fine.)

IMG_4442.JPGIMG_4444.JPGIMG_4451.JPGIMG_4452.JPG

Brewed a 2.5-gal batch of hazy IPA yesterday for my son's birthday. Recipe posted following this link "Hazy Joe IPA". Took off like it was stolen immediately after transfer to the fermenter. Started @ 1.065 and currently sitting at 1.049 for approximately 24% attenuation. Plan to dry hop with 1 oz. Citra, and 1 oz. El Dorado on Wed or Thur. Perhaps keg/bottle on Day 14? Have read somewhere that NEIPAs should not sit too long in secondary and be processed as soon as fermentation flattens out. Feedback welcome.
Hazy Joe is currently sitting @ 1.024 for 63% attenuation. I am planning to dry hop @ "high krausen". How do I judge that w/out peaking? Is there a benchmark like 70% attenuation that can be used?

Hazy Joe is currently sitting @ 1.024 for 63% attenuation. I am planning to dry hop @ "high krausen". How do I judge that w/out peaking? Is there a benchmark like 70% attenuation that can be used?
So just went down to brew kitchen and added dry hop. Good krausen layer under lid, sealed fermenter and airlock took off like a rocket bubbling like crazy with temperature 67F, so dial back to 66. Still bubbling active but I don't think it is going to leave the launch pad.

So just went down to brew kitchen and added dry hop. Good krausen layer under lid, sealed fermenter and airlock took off like a rocket bubbling like crazy with temperature 67F, so dial back to 66. Still bubbling active but I don't think it is going to leave the launch pad.
Fermentation has slowed down considerably. No airlock activity and gravity sitting @ 1.019 and 66°. Dry hop @ day 7 w/ 1oz. Amarillo? Thoughts appreciated.

5 gallon Chinook hopped IPA. Everything good up to topping it off in the fermenter, overshot my gravity by 10 points to start @ 1.058. Projected ABV 5.5%. I guessing it will still turn out to be a very drinkable product and looking forward to trying it out. 1st run on the new fv, so everything is cool.
20230122_204205.jpg

I'll be brewing *something* tomorrow or the next day. (Wife is going out of town for a few days) I have a cold, so feeling tired and unmotivated so it will have to be something simple. I haven't decided what. The basement utility room is cold enough right now to do a lager, so I'm leaning towards that, using mostly vienna malt because I have 50 pounds of it.

A day later than I planned, I just finished grinding the malt for my first lager. 95% domestic pilsner malt and 5% aromatic. I'll be using German Northern Brewer hops for bittering and a small amount of Crystal or Mt Hood for aroma. I'm shooting for 1.050 OG and mid-20s IBU. I don't know the exact style, but basically an all-malt version of a Premium American Pilsner. (which is not much different from a Helles Exportbier)

Mashed in on a simple Blonde that will ferment in the house on Lutra. Pipeline is dangerously low, so tomorrow will also brew up a Wit; going to try it with Imperial Whiteout for the first time. Last one used Stefon (yah I know not a wit yeast) so I'm hoping for more clove-y banana-y this time, coupled with some dried orange peel and freshly crushed coriander.

Mashed in on a simple Blonde that will ferment in the house on Lutra. Pipeline is dangerously low, so tomorrow will also brew up a Wit; going to try it with Imperial Whiteout for the first time. Last one used Stefon (yah I know not a wit yeast) so I'm hoping for more clove-y banana-y this time, coupled with some dried orange peel and freshly crushed coriander.
Yea! You’re brief abscene was noticed. I have a wit in the line up as well, saison and American wheat after the stout today.

Brewing a Monster Stout to put in my barrel for a year or so. 26.5 lbs of grain! Planned a pour-over sparge with my old kettle, but was worried about the wet weight of the grain. I came up with this...it worked beautifully. Got 9 gallons of wort from just over ten gallons of water :)
IMG_4802.jpg

Sorry about the thumb, put you get the idea...

Back