So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Changed my original plan to do a NEIPA and did a baltic porter instead. Volume and therefore gravity were a bit off, so added some brown sugar (a lot of recipes call for it anyway). Hopefully I pitched enough yeast, I know this needs a lot.
20200809_133503.jpg

Brewing up a Scottish Heavy tomorrow morning. Got the water and grain ready so I can jump right into it when I wake up. Decided to tweak it a little from my last brew and am adding a bit of peated malt to it. Interested to see how it turns out.

I’m doing a 6g AG batch of my Kölsch. I’ll be using a Kveik for the first time (Skare strain).
I’m splitting the batch with half fermenting at ambient temps in my garage/brewery and half in my guest bathroom at 74°.

Last edited:
In the middle of a mash right now on a different recipe I wanted to try. It's a Belgian Caramel Wit that is supposed to be very tasty and refreshing. We will see...... Have a great Sunday everyone!

John

Made a NEIPA and all is going well so far, that white labs london fog is some pretty strong yeast, been bubbling away strong so far. This week im gonna do a chocolate beer this week.

Brewed a Czech Dark lager this past weekend. Long brew day. Tried the Earl'sches modified decoction method with the Anvil Foundry. You split the grain 70/30 and the water 50/50. Mash with 70% of grain and 50% of water (149F for 30, 162 for 30) then bring it to a boil for 20. Then you add the rest of the water, which should be cold, and rest of grain. It will drop temps down to 130's or low 140's...then mash again at same steps, then do the regular boil. Don't know if it was the decoction or just the grain bill, but the aroma in the house was amazing. It was an aroma of chocolate muffins baking along with fresh baked bread and a hint of gingerbread once the spiciness of Kazbek hops hit the air. Can't wait for this beer to be ready.

Agonizing over what to brew this weekend; plenty of grain, a plethora of hops, propane tank is full; but the only yeast I have is either BE-256 or Loki slurry. About decided to do what we call Sabrotooth, an IPA done with Citra & Sabro (no bittering hop), fermented on Loki. Just trying to decide on the fermentation temperature; done hot (about 85), this one has incredible pineapple flavor from the yeast that is only augmented by the pineapple/coconut from the Sabro. I'm leery of running my heat lamp for the four days it will need for primary, though don't ask me why. Might just get it down to 80, set the controller to 84, and see what happens. Getting cooler at night so I don't want to do this one in the house. Arrrrgggh!!!

Mashed in. 12:15 Friday - it's brew-o-clock somewhere! Pushing my BIAB limits - 14 lbs of grain, 8.5 g water, 10 g pot. NEIPA IPA go-to of mine
View attachment 695894

It's a shame we couldn't have swapped rigs today. You're banging hard on the limiter and my little dark mild was looking rather small and pitiful at the bottom of my MLT, even with a full volume, no sparge program.

Doesn't matter, though. You had more than enough room to spare.

I'm measuring the grain and gathering my other stuff this morning to brew a Belgian single this afternoon. My 1388 yeast starter was dead, so I will use a packet of T-58 instead.

I need to throw out all the jars of yeast slurry in my fridge, except for two jars Voss kveik yeast (an old one and the most recent.) The others, I'm not ever going to use and they are taking up precious space. I might work on that while the wort is boiling.

Brewed up a pale ale yesterday, bottling the oktoberfest ale I brewed 3 weeks ago tomorrow.

WCIPA off and running. Recipe is basically clearing leftover grains and hops I had lying around. Magnum, Simcoe, Centennial, and Cascade hops with pale malt, Morris Otter, and Crystal 60l. We'll see. No, the 2x4s are not structural. My old half blind Bassett keeps trying to walk through the new screened in porch.

Attachments

• 20200829_173048.jpg
    20200829_173048.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
Back