So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Da @Yooper ’s Haus Pale Ale

79F3AD8B-1846-4467-B4D1-265BBC57FF24.jpeg

I'm going to try and get a better representation of a Dragonmead Final Absolution clone. Last one was too high ABV; I want to land somewhere in the 10-11% ABV and get a bit closer to the color.

I'm gonna get up early tomorrow and brew a pumpkin ale...I don't even like pumpkin ale but I've never brewed one myself. I have friends and family that think that some examples are good. We'll see...

IMG_2441.JPG
IMG_2442.JPG
IMG_2444.JPG
IMG_2447.JPG

Just finished brewing an IPA.

Not sure if I’m tired from the work of brewing or from drinking while brewing for 6 hours. [emoji848]

Either way, I had lots of fun and that’s what it’s all about!
2 hours after pitching the yeast and I already have yeast fart bubbles so today was a success.

Up early to start on another version of the Northern Brewer Blonde I did a while back. First one was good, but too bitter for my taste; so this one will get bittered with about 3/4oz of Comet, and get lighter late additions of NB.

:off: But does anyone look at the hop name Comet and think, Why is that person using bathroom cleanser in their beer???? Or is it just me.

I brewed up a 2.5 gal batch of a Single Malt Pale Ale (stovetop BIAB). The overall plan is to brew a new batch every month or two using different base malts. This one was Viking Pale Ale malt (Columbus for bittering, Citra+Amarillo for flavor/aroma).

I debated about doing 1 gal batches (that I would bottle) or doing a very light hop bill (to not cover up the grain character) but I figured I would rather brew some enjoyable medium-hopped pale ales into my 2.6 gal Torpedo kegs.

I've never used it but I think of a space Comet then a cleanser. But yeah, Grandma had plenty of it laying around.
Up early to start on another version of the Northern Brewer Blonde I did a while back. First one was good, but too bitter for my taste; so this one will get bittered with about 3/4oz of Comet, and get lighter late additions of NB.

:off: But does anyone look at the hop name Comet and think, Why is that person using bathroom cleanser in their beer???? Or is it just me.

Brewed my annual Turkey Day IPA and kegged a batch of session IPA and an oatmeal chocolate stout. Will be brewing my cheer beer christmas ale soon too. Best time of year for brewing!

I also was able to get my smoker going while the brew day was in session. First time in about 4 years that I was able to breakout the smoker. Nothing beats a brew day when a smoker is involved.

I brewed a 4 gallon batch of porter Saturday, and pitched with Voss Kveik yeast Sunday morning. It's really too cold for VK here but I needed to revive the yeast slurry in my fridge to keep it going. I'm anxiously awaiting a little raft of bubbles on top so I know the starter took hold. If it doesn't, I will repitch K1V-1116 wine yeast to kill everything and take over.

Assuming the VK is alive and well, I'll put a heating pad on it when I transfer from a bucket to a carboy and move it down to the basement. (it's in the kitchen right now where it's a little warmer)

ETA: It's alive! Not just a little raft of bubbles, almost 2 inches of foam.

Last edited:
If the stars align and my hydrometer comes in before the weekend I will be brewing an extract chocolate stout kit from Austin Home Brew with a pound of lactose added in. This is my first brew and I'm a little nervous, at the same time I am super excited for this beer around Christmas.

I brewed a 5 gallon English porter yesterday. Aside from being shy a gallon after sparging, I hit my OG and had a relatively smooth brew day. I made a 2L starter of Wyeast 1318 and pitched at 63 deg. Will be holding temp for 48 hrs then ramping up a degree per day until I reach 70. First time brewing this recipe.

lyPO2ju.jpg

L3IZzGb.jpg

I'm going to stop by the store today and pick up some cheep apple juice to make a strong cider to jack later. I'll be using about a lb of dme for the extra sugar. Never done this before, should be fun and quick. Using Notty for fermentation. :mug:

Last weekend: Red Rye Pale Ale - partial extract 1 lb Caropils Amber LME Rye LME bag of light DME, Centennial first then Citra just before flameout. Smells great bubbling. The rye goes great with fish BTW.

Brewed a Belgian Tripel a little while ago. OG: 1.094. Should come out to around 10%-11% ABV. I strained out the hop pellets (4oz) and measured. I got at least three cups of hop goo.
Pitching temp: 66F. Room temp: 58F. 3 packs of T-58. I usually use two so I'll see what that does. After 3 days, I'll bring it upstairs for 68F-70F.
Going to ferment for 3 weeks as usual.
Trying to get close to Dragonmead Final Absolution. Last batch was far more like Westmalle Belgian Tripel. I used the recipe on here that has 9.9# of Pilsen light, 1# Amber, 1.5# sugar. Saaz, Hallertauer Mittelfruh, Styrian Goldings. I tweaked a bit also. I saw a lot of rave reviews. Last one was good but far from Final Absolution. If this batch is still nowhere in the ballpark, I'll try a different yeast.

Could be those speeding space rocks with a tail. :D

Just milled the grain for tomorrow's WF lager batch; other than grain dust going everywhere because someone hasn't made a spout for the new grain mill stand yet (aaaaaachhhooooo!! grain dust up my nose) it worked like a champ and I'm still damn proud of myself. Ambitious double brew weekend planned, WF lager tomorrow and the House Amber on Sunday, using crystal malt I made myself. Which BTW made the house smell absolutely fantastic.

Each Homebrew Con attendee received these little packets of dried kveik from Escarpment Labs. According to them, it consists of a blend of Voss, Hornindal Kveik Blend, Ebbegarden, and Arset Kveik Blend. Today I brewed a sort of Bells Two Hearted recipe by Gordon Strong and used a packet of the kveik. I wonder if there will be bubbling when I wake up in the morning. [emoji848]View attachment 642362
Looks like beef jerky.

2nd brew of the weekend lautering now; color isn't quite what I was hoping for but the mash smells great, roasty, sweet, and should be a good one if everything goes right. For posterity, grain bill is 13lbs two-row and .75lb of home-roasted crystal; it turned out a bit dark but the grains taste terrific. Will bitter with Comet, late additions of crystal and maybe some Southern passion to give it a mild sweetness to counteract the roastiness. Dunno yet, will give the first runnings a taste once they're out and decide then. I do love flying-by-the-seat-of-the-pants brewdays.

Brewed a Medusa/Centennial pale ale/IPA today...last two brews were an Irish Ale and a Pumpkin Ale. Both were kegged early and both were meh on first taste, hopefully they will improve with a bit of time. So back to what I'm good at, which is cool because it's what I like to drink.

Three ~4.5 gallon batches this weekend. Intl Pale Lager (2SRM, 21IBU, 4.6% ABV, Imperial L28 yeast); Intl Amber Lager (11SRM, 25IBU, 5.5%ABV, WLP815 yeast); and, Helles (6SRM, 27IBU, 7.1% ABV, WLP885 yeast). First two already have the yeast pitched. The last one is finishing up the boil.

Latest posts

Back