so whats happening right now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imnothardcore

Reaction score
So I brewed Sunday morning, all through Monday I got the thick foam on the top of my beer (and very active and rapid swirling of the liquid) and when I checked it today it was gone (see pictures)

The "S" airlock I have at the top seems to bubble every 30seconds to minute.

This is an English Ale that I have been fermenting at 70 degrees

In addition to wondering if I messed up somewhere, Im also curious what exactly is going on. Im assuming the initial stage was the yeast reproducing to get to its desired volume, so is this part now the actual fermentation?

Just confused since the foam head is gone

this is my first batch by the way

4905E907-24CE-4AFC-AC46-A73751FE4116.jpg

BAEB69A0-7FC7-4FBA-84EA-CF295581C73D.jpg

That seems very quick, but if the foam is gone it is done primary fermentation. Did you take an initial gravity reading?

I wasn't sure exactly when to take the initial gravity reading, so kind of figured "it is what it is" and just tried to move through the process as precisely and sanitary as I could.

I dont think I took a reading until I added the yeast.

Seems like normal fermentation to me - the foam on the top that appeared and disappeared is known as krauzen and is produced normally by the yeast during fermentation. I would agree that a SG reading needs to be taken in order to make sure fermentation is complete.

Seems like normal fermentation to me - the foam on the top that appeared and disappeared is known as krauzen and is produced normally by the yeast during fermentation. I would agree that a SG reading needs to be taken in order to make sure fermentation is complete.

doesnt seem strange that it lasted basically about 36 hours?

Any chance of the krauzen reappearing or is it gone when its gone?

I was going to wait at least a week before disturbing it.

Fermentation is probably still going on, but the part that produces the krauzen is done and over with. It won't return. I'd agree with you that you should let it sit in the primary. I usually just keep it in there 2-4 weeks.

Waiting a week would be a good idea. Then take a reading wait another 3 days take it again if it's the same fermentation is done.

what about 70 degrees for an Ale? Is that "ok" even if it tips up to 71 maybe during the day?

Just curious because at my local shop when I looked at a brew they were making they still had some noticeable white patches at the surface, but they were doing theirs at 68 degrees which I would think slows the process a little right?

I recently purchased a Johnson Controls temperature controller to attach to a fridge I find on craigslist to give me more control over fermentation temperatures (I live in Florida, so figured Id need this to help with consistency)

Sorry about the millions of questions, Im finishing up "Joy of Home Brewing" in addition to lurking here. Id really like to have a complete and total understanding of everything that is happening and why. I plan to start another batch this weekend or next so Id like to step into it even more prepared.

So can you physically tell when the yeast goes from multiplying to conversion? Is the krauzen when it is actually converting sugars to alcohol ?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There's a lag phase after you pitch the yeast. That's when it's reproducing to sufficient numbers to start visible fermentation. Then you have the rapid bubbling initial fermentation,where the krausen is produced & most of the fermentation occurs. when the rapid bubbling slows or stops,only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to a stable FG.
Then give it 3-7 days to clean up fermentation by products & settle out clear or slightly misty before priming & packaging.

As I read on another post, should I swirl the carboy to get the yeast up again?

No, swirling won't accomplish anything. Primary fermentation is done. The yeast is just cleaning up now.

What happened was you fermented too warm, your yeast got overexcited, and fermentation completed abnormally fast. There will be some off-flavours, excessive esters and the like. They might be appropriate for an English ale, if they're subtle enough. What yeast did you use?

Only if it seems to have stalled. Otherwise,no. It'll just finish fermenting,even though it doesn't "look" like it's doing anything. Just walk away!

You are in the middle game of the fermentation process, the krausen is gone but u will continue to see activity until the airlock stops. Take 3 days of gravity readings, and if they're the same that means its done fermenting

Just for future reference, take your Original Gravity reading after the boil but before you pitch yeast. Let the sample cool before getting the reading. It is important to have this number to understand where you are at in the process and also to eventually calculate ABV.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Home Brew mobile app

The yeast I used was London ESB 1968. I don't remember what brand it was on the packaging. It was a silver package that I had to smack and pour in. After sanitizing the whole pack of course.

Yah I've realized the error of my gravity reading ways. I also read an interesting article on here about preboil gravity, after boil gravity and final. I can also see now how it would line up nicely with the information my ibrewmaster app shows

The brown ales that I have made were both fermented at 64 to 65 for the first couple of weeks...then warmed up to 68. I read that this keeps your yeasties stable and not over active. I am still bubbling on a batch that I placed in the primary 11 days ago. Please post your results...I am interested if you find any off flavors as a result of the fast pace. My guess is you probably wont...

Here is the recipe,

All grain

English Maris Otter 10lbs
Amber Malt. 8oz
Caramel/Crystal malt 8oz

Hops,

East Kent Goldings
60mins .8ozs, 20mins .5ozs, 1min .5ozs

London ESB Ale hops

I will absolutely post my results here. Still fermenting at 70

I am having an issue with my stout, it tastes great but when I pour it, it has a nice thick head but it almost dissipates immediately. What is causing this and how do I rectify it in the future?

I am having an issue with my stout, it tastes great but when I pour it, it has a nice thick head but it almost dissipates immediately. What is causing this and how do I rectify it in the future?

What are you pouring it in? Dishwasher n soap will will kill all your head.

Back