So what do you do if you don't drink ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodenbuick

Reaction score
The meds my Dr. put me on and alcohol don't mix. An occasional beer is OK but not 1 or 2 a day. More like 1 or 2 a month. An this is a long term regime, not just a month or 2.

So, I like making beer and I have a fridge full of beers that I have bought / made. I plan on taking some to a party we have next week and give some to friends and keep some.

But I like making the beer almost more then I do drinking them. So what do I do with the beer I make ? Beers I want to make (Dark and Malty, mainly stouts and porters) my friends don't drink as much as the IPAs and lite lagers. These beers bore me and my taste.

SUggestions ??

Smaller batches and enter in competitions? Can't drink often but you could at least taste so it's not like trying to be a blind painter. Stick to lower ABV beers so you don't wipe out your monthly allowance for alcohol with half an Imperial IPA.

Shouldn't be that hard to give away beer, preferences be damned. Can always get new friends with different tastes too. :p

Yeah I would lower your abv as far as you can and still get a good tasting beer. Maybe even mash a little higher so that you get more body with less grain.

I think you're in a really great place as far as having to be patient. Since you can't drink much I would just drink what you already have once or twice a month and then make beers that require lots of time and patient. Such as lambics and other sours but also RIS and barleywines.

If you really dig the brewing process and whatnot, well, learn how to brew a pot still, brew your beers like normal, then distill* and discard the alcohol, leaving you with a "nearly" alcohol free brew that should still taste roughly like the original beer. This process will create some flavor changes in the brew similar to a pasteurization process, and you will volatize some of the lighter aroma and flavor compounds, but like you said, if you like dark and heavy anyway, it's not going to matter that much. And you could always dry-hop post distillation.

*Technically home-distillation is still illegal for homebrewers, and I'm sure the site admins will have a bit of a field day with this suggestion, but if you're discarding the alcohol for the purpose of rendering your beer alcohol free... I don't know where the line would fall

If you really dig the brewing process and whatnot, well, learn how to brew a pot still, brew your beers like normal, then distill* and discard the alcohol, leaving you with a "nearly" alcohol free brew that should still taste roughly like the original beer. This process will create some flavor changes in the brew similar to a pasteurization process, and you will volatize some of the lighter aroma and flavor compounds, but like you said, if you like dark and heavy anyway, it's not going to matter that much. And you could always dry-hop post distillation.

*Technically home-distillation is still illegal for homebrewers, and I'm sure the site admins will have a bit of a field day with this suggestion, but if you're discarding the alcohol for the purpose of rendering your beer alcohol free... I don't know where the line would fall

There have been a lot of threads and efforts at homebrewing a NA beer, but I don't think much success. Boiling off the alcohol is definitely one of the things that hasn't worked.

The meds my Dr. put me on and alcohol don't mix. An occasional beer is OK but not 1 or 2 a day. More like 1 or 2 a month. An this is a long term regime, not just a month or 2.

So, I like making beer and I have a fridge full of beers that I have bought / made. I plan on taking some to a party we have next week and give some to friends and keep some.

But I like making the beer almost more then I do drinking them. So what do I do with the beer I make ? Beers I want to make (Dark and Malty, mainly stouts and porters) my friends don't drink as much as the IPAs and lite lagers. These beers bore me and my taste.

SUggestions ??

Take your time learning more about the craft. Make better brews, especially, more well-conditioned brews. Learn how to brew low-gravity ales. (~2.8% to 3.2%) Those can be terrifically difficult to master. Spend time upgrading your equipment... not perhaps for higher-volume for ease of use.

I call this last part "Going caveman". The dependence on electricty and pumps and this and that by many brewers has left a noticeable void. Learn how to brew over a wood-fired pit; that is, if you have the space or the place.... just a suggestion.

Also... I say this with some hesitation... learn to drink something else besides beer. I have cut down massively on my beer consumption by enrolling in a coffee of the month thing. Stone the heretic! I also do things other than brew and drink. Perhaps you might like some GK Chesterton.

I already have another hobby that takes a lot of my time and energy (and $$$). I rebuild old cars, I am 3 years into a 5 + year project to rebuild a 1939 Buick. So that keeps me busy. I also like to cook which is why I lie recipes and brewing beer. So I have plenty to do including work.

But, I like your ideas of smaller batches and bigger tasting beers. Have been wanting to try a Barleywine or a RIS, maybe it is time. Get rid of this Blue Moon clone I am brewing for a close friend and I will look. My mash tun won't hold enough for a 5 gallon batch but maybe 2 - 3 gallon batch will work.

Low alcohol doesn't interest me at all, I don't drink for the buzz but like a nice tasting malty beer. Maybe I just haven't tried a good low ABV beer yet.

At least one good thing has come of this, I am down 25 lbs since going on the medicines and not drinking as much. BTW, they cut out all cola and caffeine too. That was harder then the beer. I was a grouch for the 1st week or two, who says its not addictive ?

I stopped drinking pop and coffee quite a few years ago and I'm better off for it. Now I just drink water and beer.

Back