So, I impulsively threw together some ingredients for Cider - Will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_F

Reaction score
So, I was at the local brew store, buying some yeast for a batch of mead.... and see this "Mangrove Jacks Craft Series Cider Yeast - M02". And as I was picking up a new airlock, I remembered the unopened gallon of apple juice (organic, pasteurized, no preservatives, layer of schmutz on the bottom, etc) I have at home. What the hell... I bought a packet.

I got my mead started, then opened the apple juice, pulled a couple cups out... drank one to make room, and added 1/2 tsp nutrient, 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme, and a 1/2 cup of clover honey.... dumped it all back into the gallon jug..
dropped the hydrometer in it... 1.068.
Then, following the instructions on the yeast, I just tossed it in (really, it says just dump it in!). Of course, then I noticed that it also said "enough for 6 gallons"... sanitized a rubber bung and airlock, and stuck it on there.

SO, never having tried a Cider before, and not having thought this through AT ALL... how badly have I misunderstood and screwed up?
Anything I can do to salvage it if I'm "close, but you forgot to...."?

Or should I just empty the jug in the yard and try again when I actually PLAN to make cider, rather than just get into a "Hey, I could ferment that!" mood...

Paul F.

Here in my coastal far-northern california, 68 is about the warmest we can expect for a summer day! So i'm good there...
If it looks like it's getting uppity, i may pull some must out and store it in the fridge until the yeast is almost done partying.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Paul F, or, you could put it in the unused bath tub with water as a buffering medium for the temperature. Remember, 68* F ambient could reach 74*F or higher when fermenting. That high of temperature could make some nasty "off" flavors. Nail polish remover comes to mind...

It's bubbling away happily...
On a cool concrete floor, but I'll take care it stays cool...

Thanks! I'll see how this turns out!

Back