So I brewed a Milk Stout with Peanut Butter Chocolate Balls Cereal

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

odie

Reaction score
Maybe repeat but crush and add the cereal to the fermenter? You will still get the sugar but perhaps preserve the cereal flavor?

bkboiler

Reaction score
Looks delicious...
Pun intended, but perhaps a cereal mash would be required to gelatinize the starches in the grains in the cereal, since they got baked, but not malted...

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looks delicious...
Pun intended, but perhaps a cereal mash would be required to gelatinize the starches in the grains in the cereal, since they got baked, but not malted...
Nope, the cereal is already cooked. :) I've done this before, using Corn Flakes instead of flaked corn. The cereal just dissolved in the mash, and it converted just fine.

bkboiler

Reaction score
Oh ok so u did a mash with just cornflakes and no other malt?
Did you calculate the fermentables and verify u got your expected OG?

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Oh ok so u did a mash with just cornflakes and no other malt?
Did you calculate the fermentables and verify u got your expected OG?
No, I had something like 85% pale malt and 15% cornflakes. The pale malt (I think it was Canadian 2-row) provided the enzymes.

OP
CascadesBrewer

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe repeat but crush and add the cereal to the fermenter? You will still get the sugar but perhaps preserve the cereal flavor?
I don't plan to repeat this beer myself (if I enjoyed Chocolate PB stouts there seem to be better ways) but, yeah, I think adding some to the fermenter (or maybe at flame out) would add more character. I was kind of worried that it might add starchy flavors and adding after fermentation seems like it would add a lot of oxygen.

Based on the high OG and FG of my batch, I am not positive exactly what the cereal adds but it seemed to add some amount of unfermentables. The primary ingredients of the cereal are different flours.