SO How bad did I overreact?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbrew_jr

Reaction score
Brewed my second batch of beer ever yesterday. Filtering out all the libbys pumpkins sediment took forever and I was growing impatient toward the end. In my hastiness I didnt take the temp of the water when I was rehydrating my Safale US-05 ale yeast. The water was hot and im afraid I could have damaged the yeast.

When I saw little to no bubbles now over 24 hours after pitching I panicked. I grabbed some Mutons ale yeast I had from my last batch re hydrated, opened the fermenter and pitched the mutons yeast.

Was this move too drastic? I actually read on the forum some take up to 2 days. Will the mutons ruin the flavor imparted from the Safale? Drop some knowledge on me please

Edit: Pitched around 75 degrees and I did aerate the wort prior to pitching

The Safale doesn't really impart much flavor. It's mostly supposed to finish dry so you can taste your hops/spices better. Less malty. Anyways... I wouldn't be horribly worried. That's what got you into this mess in the first place. Should have waited another day just to see, but I don't foresee any huge problems you will have. Ferment at the proper temperature and try not to worry as much.

woke up to a bunch of activity in the fermenter just 9 hours after pitching mutons. Im convinced I killed the Safale yeast, and pissed I potentially wasted a nicer yeast. Thanks for your comment, lessons learned.

You say it like you took a horrible loss in yeast quality, but Munton's Ale is a perfectly valid yeast option. As mentioned above it will finish fairly high, with little yeast flavor profile. It'll let your pumpkin and (I'm assuming) spices shine through.

Yeast start to be debilitated at about 120F, and start to die at about 140F.

There is no issue at all with pitching at 75F, and the issue here was brewer patience. The S-05 would have been just fine if you had waiting for it to start fermenting on its own schedule.

Yeast start to be debilitated at about 120F, and start to die at about 140F.

There is no issue at all with pitching at 75F, and the issue here was brewer patience. The S-05 would have been just fine if you had waiting for it to start fermenting on its own schedule.

What s/he said.

im not worried about the temp i pitched at im worried about the temp of the water i re hydrated in. I didn't measure it and i feel it was too hot but my brew should be fine now. Thanks for the input guys

Back