Smash Recipe Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyBoy270

I Drink and I Know Sh*t...
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I've done 2 extract reciepes now and I'm thinking for my next batch (and possibly couple of batches) that I want to play around with Smash recipes to get a feel for the different malts, hops, etc. Likewise, I'm also planning on doing smaller 2.5 gal or so BIAB batches for these to save some money, and also incase something goes severely wrong lol That said for my 3rd batch I was thinking of doing a Smash with Maris Otter and Falconer's Flight, and I guess my first question is would Maris Otter actually be a good choice for the base or should I just go with 2 row or something?

Additionally, I'm planning on using yeast that I harvested from my last brew which was a 5gal batch (again to save money). If I do the 2.5 gal BIAB batches can I still just pitch all the harvested yeast or do I need to somehow pitch only a portion of it?

Since this will be your first all grain batch I might suggest you use 2 row and a different hop too. There can be plenty to go wrong as you start with all grain so why use more expensive ingredients. Unless you are near death, you will have plenty of time to experiment with more expensive options.

I see people mentioning using only 1/4 yeast cake for the next batch so that would have you using only 1/8th. However, beer is quite forgiving on the amount of yeast used so you have quite a bit of leeway on that.

10-4. I guess I'd be fine to just scoop out a portion of the yeast with a sanitized spoon then?

Also, I hadn't really thought about it til now but does the harvested yeast need to come up to room temp before pitching?

Appreciate the help!

Maris Otter makes a lovely SMASH beer. I find it has much more character than 2-row, and gives a more interesting malt profile without having to use crystal etc.

Falconers flight is delicious but not technically a single hop - it’s a blend of hops, so wouldn’t really fit in terms of trying to learn a specific hop character.

In terms of saving money, youmay want to consider using a relatively clean bittering hop for the main book addition at 60minutes - something like Magnum for example - and then using something more exciting for your late addition. Using a delicate hop for bittering gets expensive if it has low alpha acid levels and I don’t really see what is gained by doing this.

I can recommend Amarillo & MO as a great SMASH combination.

Maris Otter makes a lovely SMASH beer. I find it has much more character than 2-row, and gives a more interesting malt profile without having to use crystal etc.

Falconers flight is delicious but not technically a single hop - it’s a blend of hops, so wouldn’t really fit in terms of trying to learn a specific hop character.

In terms of saving money, youmay want to consider using a relatively clean bittering hop for the main book addition at 60minutes - something like Magnum for example - and then using something more exciting for your late addition. Using a delicate hop for bittering gets expensive if it has low alpha acid levels and I don’t really see what is gained by doing this.

I can recommend Amarillo & MO as a great SMASH combination.

That makes sense. I'm currently reading Randy Mosher's Mastering Homebrew and have been looking at the hop varieties section for ideas; missed the part about Falconer's Flight being a blend.

I think I've decided I'm going to do this kind of series of Smash combinations for awhile just to learn, and I'll take you up on the Amarillo & MO recommendation. Sorachi Ace and Rakau are the 2 other varieties I've got in mind to try as well if you've had any experience with those, or maybe other suggestions?

That makes sense. I'm currently reading Randy Mosher's Mastering Homebrew and have been looking at the hop varieties section for ideas; missed the part about Falconer's Flight being a blend.

I think I've decided I'm going to do this kind of series of Smash combinations for awhile just to learn, and I'll take you up on the Amarillo & MO recommendation. Sorachi Ace and Rakau are the 2 other varieties I've got in mind to try as well if you've had any experience with those, or maybe other suggestions?
Rakau is amazing - highly recommended! I used to live in New Zealand and couldn’t get enough of Rakau. I’d put 5g/L in at flameout and dry hop, and maybe just a few IBUs of magnum at the start of the boil to get you up around 30 IBUs.

I wouldn't let falconers flight being a hop blend deter me from making a smash with it. Its fantastic. I've used MO in smash beers twice. Once with azacca, and once with EKG. Both really solid. Azacca explodes with citrus and grapefruit.

Additionally, I'm planning on using yeast that I harvested from my last brew which was a 5gal batch (again to save money). If I do the 2.5 gal BIAB batches can I still just pitch all the harvested yeast or do I need to somehow pitch only a portion of it?
I hang out in the 2.5G range pretty often. Moreso at 3G these days, technically. When I bottle a beer, I generally keep one, sometimes two, pint mason jars of yeast, and one smaller jar for 1G batches. I direct pitch the next time I use that yeast, and I imagine each scenario is a pretty solid overpitch. After it settles, the pint mason jars are probably about a third of the way full if I had to guess. I use a hop spider and do not reuse dry hopped cakes, but I might be in a minority there.

10-4. I guess I'd be fine to just scoop out a portion of the yeast with a sanitized spoon then?

Also, I hadn't really thought about it til now but does the harvested yeast need to come up to room temp before pitching?

Appreciate the help!
I store my jars in the fridge for weeks/months. When I start a brew day, I take the jar out of the fridge and just let it sit at room temperature until its time to pitch. I decant most of the liquid, leaving just enough to swirl the yeast up into suspension and pitch into the fermenter.

I wouldn't let falconers flight being a hop blend deter me from making a smash with it. Its fantastic. I've used MO in smash beers twice. Once with azacca, and once with EKG. Both really solid. Azacca explodes with citrus and grapefruit.

I hang out in the 2.5G range pretty often. Moreso at 3G these days, technically. When I bottle a beer, I generally keep one, sometimes two, pint mason jars of yeast, and one smaller jar for 1G batches. I direct pitch the next time I use that yeast, and I imagine each scenario is a pretty solid overpitch. After it settles, the pint mason jars are probably about a third of the way full if I had to guess. I use a hop spider and do not reuse dry hopped cakes, but I might be in a minority there.

I store my jars in the fridge for weeks/months. When I start a brew day, I take the jar out of the fridge and just let it sit at room temperature until its time to pitch. I decant most of the liquid, leaving just enough to swirl the yeast up into suspension and pitch into the fermenter.

Appreciate the help. Yeah when I harvested the yeast off my last batch I took all of it and scooped it into a empty half gallon kimchi jar I had not realizing I probably wouldn't need that much. Oh well 🤷‍♂️ think I may get a couple smaller fermenters so I can just have more than one batch going at a time

Thanks again!

Just a quick follow up. Used Rakau & Maris Otter and came out with a solid pale ale. Thanks again all for the advice. Probably gonna switch to just using a neutral bittering hop while I play around, like someone had suggested, but definitely calling this one a success lol cheers!
20200714_174702.jpg

Latest posts

Back