Small Beer - Apricot Kettle Sour aka Apricot Clouds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwistedGray

El Jefe Brewing Company
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-05 / Champagne blend
Yeast Starter
n/a
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
unknown
Color
Dirty blonde
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 65'F
Additional Fermentation
14 days @ 65'F
Tasting Notes
Very lightly soured, perfect for beginner sour folks, amazing apricot aroma and flavor
Apricot Clouds Kettle Sour 7FEB2019.jpg

I called it Apricot Clouds because it is light, fluffy, and the apricot really shines. It is also a bit cloudy (grain bill) as compared to a typical golden sour. With real fruit, not an extract, you get all of the apricot aroma and flavor without it being overbearing or artificial tasting.

I also aimed to brew something that was a bit of a day drinker. I wanted to brew a small beer (table beer) that could be drunk alongside your bowl of oatmeal. It's really quite good, my favorite kettle sour to date.

What would I change?

1 - I might consider bumping up the ratio between 2-row and wheat to 35% each; although, that might only provide a marginal different.

2 - I chose to go with something that I knew would not make it too sour. I felt that with a really low ABV beer I wanted to aim for a very light sour. I was concerned that would be the only thing that came through had I not. (If I did this again with OYL-605 I would bump up my poundage of apricot, at least.)

3 - I would mash at a little higher (maybe 155'F or 160'F).

4 - I might suggest to add in carafoam or swap it out for the flaked oats. The head retention is already quite good for the style; however, I would prefer something that lasts even longer and maints that billowiness of a cloud.

Grain Bill (pounds, grain, percentage of bill)
1lb 2-row (40%)
.75lb wheat (30%)
.25lb caramel 10l (10%)
.25lb Vienna (10%)
.25lb flaked oats (10%)

Brought 2.5 gallons of water up to 150'F
My boil off rate is 0.5 gallons per hour
Mashed at 150'F for 60 minutes
Using the Mash & Boil, temperatures fluctuated between 145-155'F
Added 1/8th teaspoon of Amalyze Enzyme
After the mash-in, added Yeast Bay Lacto. blend
If you want something more sour use OYL-605 or similar; Yeast Bay blends are typically used for long aging, traditional sours and generally do not do as well for kettle souring (personal experience).
Held temperature at 113'F for 3.5 days
Brought wort to a boil for 60 minutes
Cooled
I naturally cooled mine in my urn (I mashed, boiled, and fermented in the same vessel)
Pitched 5g of S-05 and 0.5g of Champagne yeast (dry, not rehydrated)
Pitched 19g of Amarillo pellets (8.4% AA)
Set fermentation temperature to 65'F
My fermentation time was three weeks only because I was gone for three weeks. Given the lower ABV, I imagine it's done in about half that time if not less.
After fermentation was complete I added 5lbs of Apricots (two gallons of beer at this point)
The gravity was at 1.010 when I added the fruit
After another two weeks the gravity dropped to its final 1.008, and I bottled the beer at that point directly from the Mash & Boil.

Side notes
No water treatments or adjustments were made
No pH measurements were taken

I am making this

You can definitely simplify it by not doing the amalyze and only going for S-05 or champagne yeasts rather than my blend. I intended to dry it out as much as I could which I did accomplish. If you were to do the same you may just opt for champagne yeast and call it a day.

Also, I think you do larger batches? If you were to scale it up you are going to use a lot of fruit, BUT you need that fruit to beer ratio (call it 2:1 for simplification) so budget accordingly. It ain't cheap...but now with two bottles left I am sad :( ...I may brew a strawberry version of this next week.

When fresh apricots aren't in season, do you think using some dried ones would work? I'm thinking of something like a pound or two chopped up and put into the boil for 15 minutes or so to extract their flavour.
Thoughts ?

When fresh apricots aren't in season, do you think using some dried ones would work? I'm thinking of something like a pound or two chopped up and put into the boil for 15 minutes or so to extract their flavour.
Thoughts ?

I think the juice from the apricot is what helps to infuse the flavor, so I am not sure that would work. Perhaps an Apricot filling might; although, I'm not sure what goes into those (re: ingredients).

I think the juice from the apricot is what helps to infuse the flavor, so I am not sure that would work. Perhaps an Apricot filling might; although, I'm not sure what goes into those (re: ingredients).

I bet I could find some pure apricot nectar actually. Probably down at the persian market. Good call. thanks. Hopefully they have something that’s just pure apricot, with nothing more than citric acid as a preservative.

I bet I could find some pure apricot nectar actually. Probably down at the persian market. Good call. thanks. Hopefully they have something that’s just pure apricot, with nothing more than citric acid as a preservative.
Any aversion to making an infusion/tincture with white rum and dried apricots?

Any aversion to making an infusion/tincture with white rum and dried apricots?

Not a bad idea as well. I happen to have quite a lot of neutral spirits around for reasons that I believe we’re not supposed to discuss on this site.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hence the use of dried fruit. No, or little water dilution and concentrated flavor.

No, I get it, but I think the liquid adds something that a dried fruit won't. I don't foresee why dry fruit would not work; I just wouldn't know where to begin when trying to calculate the quantities needed.

Dumb question here but want to try using fruit in beer, do you need to do anything other than wash with water to sterilize fruit or good to just drop it in?

Dumb question here but want to try using fruit in beer, do you need to do anything other than wash with water to sterilize fruit or good to just drop it in?

It is important to note that washing isn't sterilizing.

Some people create an alcohol tincture by placing the fruit in alcohol (such as vodka). They use the infused vodka as their flavoring agent, and it's "sterilized" by the alcohol.

My method of fruiting is wash, dry, freeze, dump into beer. If you do this method, you run the risk of an infection. I haven't ran into this issue myself, and I've done a number of fruited beers.

Search on here for how and when to add fruit if you want to read through various discussions...common question.

Read this and good luck! Like TG, I use fruit all the time in hard lemonades, meads, and now Milkshake IPAs. Haven't noticed an issue. I just wash, crush (in sanitized ziplock bags) or blend (sanitizing the blender with Starsans) and go. Of course making a sour beer then adding fruit, who'd know?

https://www.thestranger.com/seattle/dear-science/Content?oid=1395764

I'm trying something similar today.
5 Gallon Batch
Grains:
4 lbs 2-Row
3 lbs Wheat -
1 lb Vienna Malt
0.75 lb Carafoam
0.75 lb Caramel Malt - 10L
0.5 lb Honey Malt
0.5 lb Flaked Oats

Hops - Added as a hop stand for 10 min as I cooled it down to 120f.
1 oz Hallertauer Mittelfruh
.5 oz Amarillo

Since I didn't have apricots, and pure apricot puree was stupidly expensive, I added two litres of pure apricot juice to the wort (and removed two litres of sparge), and after its fermented a little I'll add 300 grams of dried apricots soaked in a neutral alcohol.

Just got a C02 blanket on it and added some yogurt to sour. Will check the PH and probably stop it around 3.2-3.5 or so.

I'll do half Saf-05 and half Champaign yeast, and I'll carbonate in the keg with priming sugar. Hopefully it'll get some nice tiny champaign bubbles and have great head retention.

I'm trying something similar today.
5 Gallon Batch
Grains:
4 lbs 2-Row
3 lbs Wheat -
1 lb Vienna Malt
0.75 lb Carafoam
0.75 lb Caramel Malt - 10L
0.5 lb Honey Malt
0.5 lb Flaked Oats

Hops - Added as a hop stand for 10 min as I cooled it down to 120f.
1 oz Hallertauer Mittelfruh
.5 oz Amarillo

Since I didn't have apricots, and pure apricot puree was stupidly expensive, I added two litres of pure apricot juice to the wort (and removed two litres of sparge), and after its fermented a little I'll add 300 grams of dried apricots soaked in a neutral alcohol.

Just got a C02 blanket on it and added some yogurt to sour. Will check the PH and probably stop it around 3.2-3.5 or so.

I'll do half Saf-05 and half Champaign yeast, and I'll carbonate in the keg with priming sugar. Hopefully it'll get some nice tiny champaign bubbles and have great head retention.

Sounds yummy! Let us know how it goes : ) *cheers*

I am thinking that I’ll also throw some light oak cubes in for a week or so. I just feel like it would compliment the fruit. Thoughts ?

I am thinking that I’ll also throw some light oak cubes in for a week or so. I just feel like it would compliment the fruit. Thoughts ?

Maybe a little vanilla while you're at it...maybe that'll give it some pasty-like flavor? I cannot comment on the oak addition by itself though...maybe it would be too much for a small beer? What ABV are you targeting?

Vanilla could be alright. I’m looking at a solid 5% beer. So it’s not that light. Oak can give that slight vanilla flavour itself, but the combo of vanilla and apricot would certainly work. I don’t think I want to chance it with all 5 gallons. maybe i’ll add some to a glass and see how it is for next time.

I just realized that I made a rookie mistake with this sour. Just forgot completely that hops prevent the spread of the bacterias needed. So I added my hop stand then cooled it for the kettle souring, when I should have cooled it immediately, soured it, then brought back up to a boil and added hops. So it looks like I might just have an apricot ale. I think i’ll go get a saison yeast and turn it to an apricot saison.

Last edited:
Back