Small Batch Kit Yeast Pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StateRoad84

Reaction score
I am making the move to AG from 1 gallon ingredient kits. I currently have one Saison in primary and a Chinook IPA in the 1st week of bottle condition, so I am a new brewer. My question is about how much yeast is pitched in these kits and the concern that I have way over-pitched. The instructions in most, if not all, kits say to pitch half of the 11.5 gram sachet included in the kit...that's 5.75 grams of dry yeast! Now understand I did not have a way of testing OG (hydrometer on it's way via USPS) so I had no way to calculate pitch, but I can make a logical guess that 2 - 3 grams would be more in the ball park. Am I off base here, or are these over-pitched?

According to research, dry yeast pitched without being re-hydrated can lose as much as half the cells. That means if you pitched the yeast directly into the wort you probably killed half of the yeast so it would be like pitching 1/4 packet rehydrated. That's only a slight overpitch so it will be fine.

Even if you pitched the half packet after it was rehydrated you probably won't be able to tell in the finished product. Pitch rate is quite forgiving.

The full pack is enough for most average 5 gallon beers. So 1/2 of it is enough for a 2.5 gallon batch. You probably over-pitched but not enough that I would worry about it.

Thanks for the replies. My first batch I did not rehydrate, the second I did. I will be using dry for my AG and will rehydrate. When using a pitch calculator based on OG should I over-pitch a little?

Thanks for the replies. My first batch I did not rehydrate, the second I did. I will be using dry for my AG and will rehydrate. When using a pitch calculator based on OG should I over-pitch a little?

I tend to get some air dissolved into my wort and under-pitch a bit. I like the beer it makes. A BJCP judge might find faults with it.

Back