smack packs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
here is the scenario, I did an order from More Beer, one of the items that I ordered was a smack pack (WYeast 1084) and well, it worked in my favor, they sent me 2 instead of the 1 that I ordered. How long will smack packs actually last (with doing a starter, yeast dated 12-19)? My intention was to order one, do a starter and a half( which seems to be about 900ML using the equation of 2 cups water and 1 cup water, then i filled a container that i will be storeing the yeast in) take the half (what it takes to fill the container)and save it, and use the rest as normal.

I have read that people have saved yeast for a year( that they have pulled from a previous brew) but not sure about the smack pack. ( if I keep the smack pack longer than 6 month, I will do a starter for sure, to make sure it is viable, so it is more of how long can I keep it before a starter is not good)

I have thought about doing the the first one as described above and using the the second one with a red ale that I brew to see how it turns out with that yeast. If I choose that route it will happen soon since i have the red ale that i brew in a feremetor now (that typically uses us-05).

I've revived Wyeast smack packs that were were going on 2 years old, maybe a touch older. I've got 2 Belgaians conditioning now that were brewed with 3739PC - if I remember correctly, that pack was dated May 2017, and I bought it for $1 this past April. When it gets thàt old, just needs a couple steps with low gravity wort.

I love expired yeast - I get it cheap and I like the challenge!

If kept cool, I would be surprised if a 2 year pack did not work in a starter. I have not tried it, but I suspect even a 4 year old pack would have viable cells after 4 years of proper storage.

I have revived yeast from starters (make starter and store some) after 3 years of being stored. Not what I normally do, but have done it a couple of times.

Back