Slow road to FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBHBeer

Reaction score
I've got a belgian wit in my fermenter that is fermenting extremely slow its had a krausen on it for about 2 weeks now with what appears to be active fermentation still happening. It's need to be done in time for a party I'm having on the 11th. I didnt have time to do a starter so I pitched the White labs vial straight in. I have a starter I did with Safale-05 that is almost ready should I decant it and pitch it in to speed things up?

I assume you're kegging it? Because bottling it you have pretty much no hope of it being ready on the 11th. ;)

What does your hydrometer say? Is it near it's planned FG? I'd never pitch more yeast on until I had a hydrometer reading.

If it really is only 3/4ths done, then the safale-05 isn't a terrible idea. Either way, you know you really should have made a starter. :(

Take a hydrometer reading and find out what you're dealing with. Until you have that data don't bother with anything else, or you may end up ruining perfectly good beer.

Back