slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottfro

Reaction score
so my last brew which i did on jan 19th had a somewhat non vigorous fermentation and i think i racked it too the secondary before it was done (learned my lesson about using a hydro rather than the usual wait a week and transfer). now almost a month later i'm still seeing a bit of bubbling in a few isolated areas. i'm wondering if i should give it a stir to get the yeast back in suspension or what might be going on?

this is the first 10 gal batch i've done and its also the first time i've used my own yeast cultivated from a slant. i grew up 3.5 L worth of yeast before pitching so i think i started with enough. possibly not enough oxygen in the wort as i just sloshed it around in the carboy after transferring it from the kettle?

thoughts?

TexLaw said:
I think you have not actually learned that lesson about using your hydrometer. Take a reading, if you really want to see what is going on. Then, rouse if you think you need it.

TL

so tiny bubbles consistently (every 5-10 secs) coming up from the bottom of the carboy are not a sure sign of fermentation?

Back