Slow Churning Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewByBerg

Reaction score
Hey guys I pitched my starter to my wort on Thursday, and after I realized my fermenter was too cold for 10 hours or so I finally warmed it up. I then would check on it hourly and all I really saw was a slow churning fermentation the next 36 hours and now there's not much going on.. My last batch seemed to bubble a lot more and my airlock tubing and water bottle were really dirty with blow off foam. Is this normal? Thanks for the help!

If you do not have a means of temperature control I strongly advise that you give this consideration. Temperature control throughout the whole brewing process is very important.

What yeast?

How do you define "too cold"?

Colder fermentations generally are slower and show less visible activity than warm fermentations, but a long as you're in the yeast's temp range, you should be fine.

bwarbiany said:
What yeast?

How do you define "too cold"?

Colder fermentations generally are slower and show less visible activity than warm fermentations, but a long as you're in the yeast's temp range, you should be fine.

Using White labs San Diego super yeast. And when I threw my fermentor in my kegorator fridge my carboy was at about 55 degrees.. Im really trying to get my fermentor to stay In the 60s

Using White labs San Diego super yeast. And when I threw my fermentor in my kegorator fridge my carboy was at about 55 degrees.. Im really trying to get my fermentor to stay In the 60s

55 is pretty cold, I don't know how cold will make the yeast go dormant but you were at least getting close. Cold temperatures will make a fermentation slower and less vigorous. In many cases this is what you should be looking for. Hot, fast and vigorous is not good.

Do you have a temperature controller on your kegorator fridge? If not and you are going to use if as a fermentation chamber you should look into getting one.

55 is pretty cold, I don't know how cold will make the yeast go dormant but you were at least getting close. Cold temperatures will make a fermentation slower and less vigorous. In many cases this is what you should be looking for. Hot, fast and vigorous is not good.

Do you have a temperature controller on your kegerator fridge? If not and you are going to use if as a fermentation chamber you should look into getting one.

kh54s10 said:

Do you have a temperature controller on your kegerator fridge? If not and you are going to use if as a fermentation chamber you should look into getting one.

It has a temperature control gauge that can make it colder if that's what you mean?

The movement inside the fermentor was maybe a couple days.. Do you think I should try and shake up the carboy a little to activate the yeast or should I just leave it?

It has a temperature control gauge that can make it colder if that's what you mean?

The movement inside the fermentor was maybe a couple days.. Do you think I should try and shake up the carboy a little to activate the yeast or should I just leave it?

You are probably good. I used that same yeast last month and the beer tastes good. I remember the active fermentation seeming shorter (I just wait 2 1/2 - 3 weeks).

If I split up a yeast cake or do a starter, fermentation starts and finishes fast. If I throw the yeast in from the package it slowly works over days and finishes flocks/slow.

Back