Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank for the reply. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and try to make a collar. Wont get better without practice I guess. Im only planning on throwing two carnies in there so I think I'm just going to make the collar out of 2x4's. If I can't make a square out of those then I might not be able to call myself a man haha

Just got the Holiday 7.0cuft. It currently has one pinlock and one ball lock along with my 20# CO2 tank inside of it. My other pin lock just barely doesn't fit but I think another ball lock would. With the tank on the outside or a small tank on the hump you could probably fit 4 ball locks.

The 20# tank just BARELY clears the lid without a collar.

I have been reading this thread for a few days now. Excellent info in here. I've decided to sell my Danny kegerator and go with a freezer chest build. I want to fit 3 ball lock kegs and a 5 lb co2 tank. I think I'm going with a 7 cubic footer.

My question, I have a $50 gift card to Lowe's and they have a Haiar for $179 and Home Depot has the GE for $199 but I don't have a gift card there. Which would you go with?

I have been reading this thread for a few days now. Excellent info in here. I've decided to sell my Danny kegerator and go with a freezer chest build. I want to fit 3 ball lock kegs and a 5 lb co2 tank. I think I'm going with a 7 cubic footer.

My question, I have a $50 gift card to Lowe's and they have a Haiar for $179 and Home Depot has the GE for $199 but I don't have a gift card there. Which would you go with?

You will probably find they are the same freezer just branded for specific retailers. Use the Lowes gift card. You can use the $50 you save for the wood for the collar.

I got the GE 5.0 last PM at Sams Club for 154.00. It can fit 2 ball lock corny's on the bottom and a 5 lb CO2 tank along with a 5 gallon carboy on the shelf so does exactly what I was looking for. I have a pic I took with the kegs, carboy and co2 tank inside it. I'll try to host it somewhere and link the pic.

Thanks guys. I'm going with the Lowes and the gift card. Then I will have money left for other stuff like you said

I don't think this freezer is listed with a photo, it's not the greatest but all I have atm. Frigidaire 7.0 cu. ft. It was $191 with tax at a local appliance store. This will hold 4 cornies on the floor and could fit 2 more on the hump although I only had 3 at the time of the photo.

anyone know the model numbers for the holiday 6.8c.ft (4 kegs) and holiday 5 c.ft (3 kegs)? i went to lowes today and they only had a 5 and a 7 and neither one had the half compressor hump thing. do they not make those kinds of chest freezers anymore?

thanks for any info.

anyone know the model numbers for the holiday 6.8c.ft (4 kegs) and holiday 5 c.ft (3 kegs)? i went to lowes today and they only had a 5 and a 7 and neither one had the half compressor hump thing. do they not make those kinds of chest freezers anymore?

thanks for any info.
They switched brands that they buy from, the Holiday 7 could fit 4 kegs.

Hey, does anyone know how many cornies will fit without a collar in the new Holiday 5.0 from Lowes? And how tall of a collar would be needer to fit 3 cornies + CO2, if it's even possible...
oh, and i mean the *new* holiday 5.0, i know the old one had a smaller hump or something
thanks.

I don't think this freezer is listed with a photo, it's not the greatest but all I have atm. Frigidaire 7.0 cu. ft. It was $191 with tax at a local appliance store. This will hold 4 cornies on the floor and could fit 2 more on the hump although I only had 3 at the time of the photo.

Looking at this picture> Unless you did it on purpose for whatever reason, I would have cut the piece of wood running the length of the front of the freezer 3" longer and the sides 1.5" shorter to cover the "seams" on the front where the 2 pieces of wood butt together.

Looking at this picture> Unless you did it on purpose for whatever reason, I would have cut the piece of wood running the length of the front of the freezer 3" longer and the sides 1.5" shorter to cover the "seams" on the front where the 2 pieces of wood butt together.

Actually I did it that way so guys like you would have something to criticize.

I did it that way because I did it that way, since I don't have a miter saw what does it matter if they are on the front or the sides, they are going to show either way.

What I got from his post is that he is saying right now the air has an easy way out...basically an L shape. If you made the front piece longer, it would then make an S shape and the air would have more curves to travel through.

I don't know if that would make that much of a difference, if that is what was meant. If a sealant was put at the corners, no air would escape anyway.

I'm sure that isn't what he meant, because if you look, the inside insulation is running the opposite way of the wood, plus at each in both layers there is a thick bead of silicone and on top of that, all the wood joints are bonded with a layer of gerilla glue.

That is the only thing I could think of. Cosmetically it might look better to have the front with no joints showing but that doesn't do anything to the function of the freezer

DSC_0006-3.jpg

New style Holiday 7.0.

That is a 20# tank, a wide pinlock, and a ball lock. I can just barely squeeze in another ball lock with that wide pinlock in there but with my skinnier pinlock or another ball lock I have plenty of room. The 20# tank also takes up roughly the amount of space another keg would so with out that in there you could fit 4 kegs on the floor.

How much head space is needed above a corny for the disconnects and to avoid kinking the beer line? I got a chest freezer delivered a couple of days ago and want to build the collar this weekend, but kegs don't arrive until Tuesday...

I got the new 5.0 cf Holiday and hoping to fit 2 ball locks on the floor and, if possible, make a large enough collar to fit a third keg on the hump if I ever decide to expand in the future.

Picked this up used today for $100:

kqg4V.jpg

You could fit either 6 cornies or 4 cornies and 2 carboys. The 5lb c02 will fit on the hump, a small keg could fit there as well. Unfortunately a carboy couldn't be nestled there unless I built a collar which I have no intention of doing.

The model is Gensave 13. I am sure they are long gone in terms of manufacturing. I have been looking for a suitable freezer for awhile but I was consistently annoyed that if I wanted a freezer that would fit 2 cornies deep I would be looking at something that was 10 feet long, which I do not want and do not have room for. It seems like older ones are a bit more square and thus better for fitting cornies in. The guy who sold it to me said it was 10 cubic feet but I think it's closer to 12.

I wanted to add this to this thread; I think anyone considering a keezer should look at the advantage of an older freezer; the newer ones all seem to have an interior depth (front to back) of around 16 inches, until you get to 18 cu ft. or so, at least the ones I looked at (and I spent a full afternoon at it).

Sorry Ed, I didn't have any cardboard around. :mug:

New style Holiday 7.0.

That is a 20# tank, a wide pinlock, and a ball lock. I can just barely squeeze in another ball lock with that wide pinlock in there but with my skinnier pinlock or another ball lock I have plenty of room. The 20# tank also takes up roughly the amount of space another keg would so with out that in there you could fit 4 kegs on the floor.

I'm sure I've said it before in this thread, getting 4 Ball Locks on the floor of a Holiday 7.0 is hit or miss. I have a total of 6 5 gallons cornies and no combination of them will allow me to wedge the fourth one on the floor. However, I just acquired 2 three gallon cornies (one will rest on the hump, the other will be partially on the hump and resting on the other three kegs). I'll need to relocate my CO2 tank to outside the keezer, but that's no big deal. I'll post a photo once I get it all worked out.

I'm sure I've said it before in this thread, getting 4 Ball Locks on the floor of a Holiday 7.0 is hit or miss. I have a total of 6 5 gallons cornies and no combination of them will allow me to wedge the fourth one on the floor. However, I just acquired 2 three gallon cornies (one will rest on the hump, the other will be partially on the hump and resting on the other three kegs). I'll need to relocate my CO2 tank to outside the keezer, but that's no big deal. I'll post a photo once I get it all worked out.
There are differences in manufacturer and as a result they have slightly different widths. My ball locks are really skinny. I can fit both of them, my skinnier pinlock, and my 20# tank with room to spare.

Hey, does anyone know how many cornies will fit without a collar in the new Holiday 5.0 from Lowes? And how tall of a collar would be needer to fit 3 cornies + CO2, if it's even possible...
oh, and i mean the *new* holiday 5.0, i know the old one had a smaller hump or something
thanks.

I was torn between the Holiday 5 and 7 when I bought my seven. I cut out some circles that were close to the dimensions of a corny keg and I figured I could get three in the 5.0 with a 10 inch collar.

There are differences in manufacturer and as a result they have slightly different widths. My ball locks are really skinny. I can fit both of them, my skinnier pinlock, and my 20# tank with room to spare.

I'd believe it. Just wanted to let it be known that you may or may not be able to get 4 on the floor in the Holiday 7.0. It might be make or break information for some people.

I just picked up a Holiday 7 last night from Lowes, unboxing and will throw kegs in it tonight to take pics

You have to practically stand on the 4th keg to get it into a Holiday 7'

5 is possible with a collar though.

I couldn't wedge a fourth one down there and I'm a pretty big guy (6'4", 220). I might have been able to if I hit the fourth into place with a mini sledge, but I was afraid I was going to damage the sides of the freezer.

Also, if you plan to run 5 with taps, make sure the taps are on the left side of the collar. I put mine on the right and 5, 5 gallon cornies won't fit. With a ten inch collar, I could do 4, 5 gallons plus a three gallon under the shanks.

Yep, still the same. 3 on floor, one on hump. I attached some pics for those wanting to see how close it is to fitting 4 without bashing.

image-2627715251.jpg

image-1542607557.jpg

image-895384755.jpg

image-4180164616.jpg

Awesome thread here. Dumb question, but is there something like this for carboys? I'm looking for something that'll hold maybe 3 carboys and still fit down my narrow basement stairs.

Picked this up used today for $100:

I wanted to add this to this thread; I think anyone considering a keezer should look at the advantage of an older freezer; the newer ones all seem to have an interior depth (front to back) of around 16 inches, until you get to 18 cu ft. or so, at least the ones I looked at (and I spent a full afternoon at it).

actually hate to call you out, but ~12cu. Ft. Is the cut off. Anything below that is about 16" from front to back while anything ~12 cu. Ft or up will be ~24" from front to back. 10feet long?!?!?! That's quite an exaggeration. A 12 cu ft model will be about 3.5' long. The biggest they come is about 24cuft and those are about 6 ft Long I did a full days research on this looking at all models and brands. Made an excel chart. Surprising how similar different brands were.
Go check out frigidaire.com or any manufacturer and list the models by size, then compare depths.
Here's a link. http://www.frigidaire.com/products/kitchen/freezers
Check the 'D' dimension. You need to take off about 6" for the front and back wall thickness.

I guess I got lucky or got some ball locks that are not perfectly round, but I can fit four in my holiday 7 with about 1/4" gap between the hump and the last keg. Only fits if you put the first keg in the back left corner though for some reason.

I guess I got lucky or got some ball locks that are not perfectly round, but I can fit four in my holiday 7 with about 1/4" gap between the hump and the last keg. Only fits if you put the first keg in the back left corner though for some reason.
This is how mine is, like I said though, kegs are different. Not all ball locks are the same size/shape and they actually vary a lot. I have two that are identical in every way, except where the dip tube draws up liquid. I also have two pin locks that, they they both hold the exact same amount of liquid, one is closer to the size of a ball lock.

Just depends on your kegs.

I have not found this information anywhere on HBT, so here it is:

I got my keg kit last monday and went pick up the holiday 5 cu feet from lowe's. Model # LCM050LC.
This is a newer one, compared to the pictures at the beginning of this thread. The hump goes from front to back.
I tried to put my ball-lock kegs in it. I was able to have 2 on the floor, one on the hump, and the 5# CO2 inside. Without the CO2, a fourth one fits, partially resting on the hump, but it is tight. My kegs are quite beaten up, so maybe this is why the fourth one fits. Of course this will require the use of a collar (about 8 or 9 inches).

If anyone is interested, I can measure the inside dimensions and post them here.

I am looking for a freezer that will fit cornies in this configuration. are there other 7.2 freezers that will work for 6 cornies with a collar like this one. 4 five gallons on the floor, and 2 three gallons on the hump? I cant seem to find the magic cheff 7.2 for sale anywhere.

Magic Chef 7.2 cu. ft. at Home Depot for $219

ChestFreezer-MagicChef-7.2.jpg

Back