Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked and looked for this as well. couldn't even find it on the used market. Ended up with a new Kenmore 8.8. glad I did. If you're really looking to put six (6) inside, the little bit of extra room inside is nice for getting one in and out with 5 others in there. i've got a feeling that picture, although maybe accurate, is quite misleading about the room inside. Any place you mount the CO2 manafold or six shanks would definately get in the way,,, in this 7.2. Does anybody have a pic of this 7.2 with 6 cornies, loaded with six CO2 feeds and six beer shanks? Quaffer's thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/converting-frigidaire-7-2-cu-ft-chest-freezer-162225/
fits 4 really really nice!! That's a great thread. Read it end to end.

I just ended my quest to find a freezer that would fit 4 corny's on the floor without building a collar. I found an Avanti 7.1 cu. ft. on craigslist. I think they are discontinuted, but 4 kegs fit like a glove. I'll keep everyone posted on the actual keezer build in the weeks to come. (Hopefully only 1 or 2 weeks)
IMG_0443.jpg
IMG_0444.jpg

so, my keezer died, seems like the coolant has a clog as the compressor runs and a small area around the top of the keezer gets cold but nothing else. Is there any way for an end user to fix this?

I am looking for a freezer that will fit cornies in this configuration. are there other 7.2 freezers that will work for 6 cornies with a collar like this one. 4 five gallons on the floor, and 2 three gallons on the hump? I cant seem to find the magic cheff 7.2 for sale anywhere.

Magic Chef 7.2 cu. ft. at Home Depot for $219

ChestFreezer-MagicChef-7.2.jpg

I don't know if they sell it anymore. I found mine at HD spring of 2009. I haven't looked lately to see if they still stock them.

I have not found this information anywhere on HBT, so here it is:

I got my keg kit last monday and went pick up the holiday 5 cu feet from lowe's. Model # LCM050LC.
This is a newer one, compared to the pictures at the beginning of this thread. The hump goes from front to back.
I tried to put my ball-lock kegs in it. I was able to have 2 on the floor, one on the hump, and the 5# CO2 inside. Without the CO2, a fourth one fits, partially resting on the hump, but it is tight. My kegs are quite beaten up, so maybe this is why the fourth one fits. Of course this will require the use of a collar (about 8 or 9 inches).

If anyone is interested, I can measure the inside dimensions and post them here.

To save space in my garage, I'm interested in getting the 5 cu ft holiday instead of the 7, but I insist on 4 kegs. Now that you've had this a bit longer, do you still feel like 4 is possible if the tank is outside? And how you run the gas line into the keezer and keep things insulated?

To save space in my garage, I'm interested in getting the 5 cu ft holiday instead of the 7, but I insist on 4 kegs. Now that you've had this a bit longer, do you still feel like 4 is possible if the tank is outside? And how you run the gas line into the keezer and keep things insulated?

Yes I tried to put 4 ball lock kegs and it fits. It is tight, but it fits. But you will have to make sure that:
* you use ball lock kegs. Pin lock will not fit.
* your collar is tall enough. I used some 1x8, and the vertical space is just enough. The fact that I did not keep the original lid helped. If you decide to keep the original lid, because of its shape, you will probably have to use some 1x10 (or 2x10).
* You will need to add something for the 4th keg to rest on, as only part of it is resting on the compressor space.
* For insulation, I used 3/4" thick panels. I did not build it perfectly, but it holds the cold very well. Just put the panels so that they overlap each other, and create a Z junction (instead of a L) so that air does not get in/out easily.
* use small shanks. The shanks that came with my setup are too long and the one on the right is in the way.

For the gas line, I do not really know as I keep the tank inside with only 3 kegs. But I think I would keep the regulator outside, with the tank, to avoid messing with a high pressure hose and to save some space inside. I have a 2 body regulator, so I would have to make 2 holes in the collar. If you make them at the right size, you will not have any insulation problem.

* use small shanks. The shanks that came with my setup are too long and the one on the right is in the way.

For the gas line, I do not really know as I keep the tank inside with only 3 kegs. But I think I would keep the regulator outside, with the tank, to avoid messing with a high pressure hose and to save some space inside. I have a 2 body regulator, so I would have to make 2 holes in the collar. If you make them at the right size, you will not have any insulation problem.

Thanks for the follow up. What size shanks did you use? My reg will be dual pressure so I will need to run two lines in as well. I'll split the lines inside as needed.

Thanks for the follow up. What size shanks did you use? My reg will be dual pressure so I will need to run two lines in as well. I'll split the lines inside as needed.

I got the shank that came standard with the kegconnection kit. According to their website, it is 5 1/8 shanks. Way too long for this. I really did not need that much since I use 1x8 (which is 3/4" thick) and 3/4" of insulation. This is one detail that I did not think about soon enough.

You are right to go for the dual pressure. I have one plugged to the 3 way manifold, set at 12 psi, and the other one is set at 30 psi. I use the 30 to lock kegs and force carb quickly. Since you want 4 kegs taped all the time, you may want to consider having a 4 way manifold instead of 3.

I got the shank that came standard with the kegconnection kit. According to their website, it is 5 1/8 shanks. Way too long for this. I really did not need that much since I use 1x8 (which is 3/4" thick) and 3/4" of insulation. This is one detail that I did not think about soon enough.

You are right to go for the dual pressure. I have one plugged to the 3 way manifold, set at 12 psi, and the other one is set at 30 psi. I use the 30 to lock kegs and force carb quickly. Since you want 4 kegs taped all the time, you may want to consider having a 4 way manifold instead of 3.

Have to think about this. I'll probably do a taller collar and keep the original lid. That puts the thickness closer to two inches to be sure it's sturdy. Do I still need to insulate at that thickness? Of course, if I do insulate I could cut bigger holes in the insulation at the faucet locations and stick with a smaller shank. How much of the shank needs to stick out the front to accommodate the faucet?

Have to think about this. I'll probably do a taller collar and keep the original lid. That puts the thickness closer to two inches to be sure it's sturdy. Do I still need to insulate at that thickness? Of course, if I do insulate I could cut bigger holes in the insulation at the faucet locations and stick with a smaller shank. How much of the shank needs to stick out the front to accommodate the faucet?

The reasons why I kept 1x8 instead of 2x8 are:
* I used pine which is sturdy enough.
* the 2x8 selection at the local home depot was not really good looking. It was construction wood. It would have required a lot of sanding, and I do not have any power tools other than a drill.
* I wanted the collar to be light enough to be supported by the original hinges of the freezer. After trying, it hold fine, but I am not sure using 2x10 in your case will be light enough. It was important for me to be able to put a keg inside the freezer without having to carry it over the collar, so double hinges was a requirement.

I am pretty sure that if I had used 1x10 pine it would be sturdy enough. I used metal hardware (in a L shape) plus glue to attach the different pieces, and it feels strong. You noticed the front piece is a door, so it would be even stronger if it was part of the collar.

For the insulation, I am sure you could get away without it, but your freezer might not like it on the long run. It is cheap to add, and it keeps air AND moisture out.

For the shank size, I am not sure were the 5 1/8 is measured. But I am sure you can ask whatever homebrew store you will get your parts from to help you decide on the size that will fit your design.

I am looking for a freezer that will fit cornies in this configuration. are there other 7.2 freezers that will work for 6 cornies with a collar like this one. 4 five gallons on the floor, and 2 three gallons on the hump? I cant seem to find the magic cheff 7.2 for sale anywhere.

ChestFreezer-MagicChef-7.2.jpg

FYI, I have pin lock kegs and tried to put them in my Magic Chef 7.2 and found that these pictures represent the taller ball lock kegs. The dimensions of my pin lock kegs are 9" diameter, 22" tall. I can only fit 3 on the floor below the hump and 1 on the hump that will require a collar to use.

I hope this info helps you guys!

I got the Sunbeam 7.2 at Menards and it is identical. Sorry for the late reply.

I found a Magic Chef 5.5 Freezer online. I want something big enough to put a few kegs in, but I also want the option of fitting a keg and a fermenter. I see that I would be able to fit the 2 cornys, but would I be able to fit one corny and a 6.5 gallon fermenter? I know I can't get all three, but if I could switch them out it would be worth it.

Just got a holiday 5 from Lowes. This is the new model, which has the hump on the right side, from back to front. I checked at Home Depot and I'm almost positive this is the identical model to the GE 5. I thought these pictures would be helpful. No collar yet, as you can see, but clearly four ball locks fit in there without the tank. Also just under 8 inches off the hump for the two on the right. Will need a bigger collar than a 1x8, I think.

image-3211349554.jpg

image-1502472887.jpg

image-261637358.jpg

Trying to find something that would fit maybe 4 ball locks and 1 6.5 carboy, gonna keep my CO2 outisde. Any recommendations? Preferably, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, or Sears as the sources.

Trying to find something that would fit maybe 4 ball locks and 1 6.5 carboy, gonna keep my CO2 outisde. Any recommendations? Preferably, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, or Sears as the sources.

Try what others have done. Cut out cardboard templates for what you plan on putting in there and bring them down to the store and place them in the freezers. My guess is you will need at least a 7 cubic ft. or larger. Lowes seems to have the best deals in my area.

Does anyone have the Dandby 8.7 cu ft chest freezer that is available at home depot? I am thinking of grabbing this. How many carboys can fit in this. I am primarily going to use this as a fermentation chamber. Would like to be able to get 2 to 3 carboys and maybe a corny keg in this. I have looked through most of this thread and no one seems to have this so far.

Thanks in advance

Anyone own a Westinghouse. If so, what size? How many kegs fit? and have you had any problems with this freezer? Thanks, I'm looking at one on CL right now for $50

pictures are down. looking to pick one up this week. without scrolling through the entire thread, can the GE 7.0 fit cornys without a collar? the specs on the website say depth of 22", while it looks like some people are actually fitting the 23" corny with fittings. i want to fit 1 or 2 ball cornys , 1 fermenter, and 1 co2. can i fit this on the GE 7.0 without a collar?

Woods C07BBA 7.0 cu/ft. Freezer

I'm able to fit 3 pin-lock firestone kegs (9"diameter), and a small 2.5lbs co2 tank.

Woods2.jpg

-
Woods1.jpg

I just picked up a 8. 9 cu ft whirlpool chest on CL. looking forward to converting it. I see some attach the collar to the lid, havn't decided which way to go on that.

Read all 35 pages and OMG, there are so many different thoughts and conflicting information. I would like to get 4 ball lock kegs on the floor of a freezer with no need for a collar. It seems the Holiday 7 will almost fit 4 if you really jam it, but not everyone is able to fit them. The Frigidaire 7.2 is said to be able to fit 4 but in someones Keezer build thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/converting-frigidaire-7-2-cu-ft-chest-freezer-162225/

they are only able to fit 3 and it seems to be the same problem as the Holiday 7.

What freezer will allow 4 ball lock kegs to slide in without jamming on the floor no questions asked that can be purchased at Lowes, Home Depot, or Sears? Would I have to go up to a 8.8 freezer? The sub $200 price of the Holiday really makes it stand out, but without knowing for sure if MY ball lock kegs will fit, i think i may have to drop it from my short list.

Thanks all!

Read all 35 pages and OMG, there are so many different thoughts and conflicting information. I would like to get 4 ball lock kegs on the floor of a freezer with no need for a collar. It seems the Holiday 7 will almost fit 4 if you really jam it, but not everyone is able to fit them. The Frigidaire 7.2 is said to be able to fit 4 but in someones Keezer build thread:

they are only able to fit 3 and it seems to be the same problem as the Holiday 7.

What freezer will allow 4 ball lock kegs to slide in without jamming on the floor no questions asked that can be purchased at Lowes, Home Depot, or Sears? Would I have to go up to a 8.8 freezer? The sub $200 price of the Holiday really makes it stand out, but without knowing for sure if MY ball lock kegs will fit, i think i may have to drop it from my short list.

Thanks all!

The Magic Chef 7.2 will fit 4 ball locks on the floor without the need of a collar.

The Magic Chef, and Sunbeam 7.2 will fit 4 Pepsi/7*up kegs on the floor. The Coke kegs are wider, so that limits it to 3.

edit: I got my Sunbeam at Menards.

Here is my Sunbeam 7.2 with 4 ball lock kegs on the floor. It is identical to the Magic Chef and is available at Menards.

5813840476_9ed16b7937.jpg
5813273319_cf54a2071f.jpg

Yeah, the sunbeam and magic chefs are no longer available online or in store. I guess i'm going to have to step up to a 8.8 which i really didn't want to, but oh well :)

I'm looking for a freezer large enough to hold about 10 kegs, with the C02 on the outside. How heavy are these things usually?

I see some cheapo ones on kijiji, but I imagine they will need to be professionally moved, which undoes their cheapness. I'm reasonable fit, but these don't look very manuverable,

so for the big ones: buy new and get delivered (delaying keezer project) or move a used one?

At least I have a functioning 2-tap kegerator in the meantime.

How many ball locks can you fit in the 8.8 cf model? I think you could fit 4 on the floor with a 5lbs CO2, but not sure.

I am looking at getting a chest freezer soon. I would like to fit 4 - 6 on the floor. From what I have read for ball locks:

Kenmore 8.8cf will fit 4 on the floor
Kenmore 13cf will fit 7 on the floor

Does anyone know how many ball locks will fit on the floor for these chest freezers?

Danby 10.2CF

Frigidaire 9 CF

Are there any 5 cf freezers available that will fit 3 kegs without a collar? They changed the 5cf Holiday available at Lowes so that the compressor shelf on the bottom goes all the way across and I'm not sure it could fit 2 now.

Are there any 5 cf freezers available that will fit 3 kegs without a collar? They changed the 5cf Holiday available at Lowes so that the compressor shelf on the bottom goes all the way across and I'm not sure it could fit 2 now.

You are right, the new holiday 5 cu feet will fit 2 ball lock without a collar, not 3.

I'bve got a holiday 5cf which will hold 2 on the floor and one (3gal) on the hump, but I need a 2nd chest freezer to use as a....freezer. I was thinking of repurposing my 5cf for that and upgrading to something that'll hold 6 cornies.

Has anyone looked at the Danby 8.7 at Home Depot?
It has exterior dimensions:(25.1"deep x 43.4" wide) which is better proportioned than the Frigidare/Sears models which are more like (23.25"deep x 41" wide).

If I assume 3" insulation on each side (which is what my Holiday has), that would give me 19.1"x37.4" That should be enough space to get 8 ball-locks in (6+2 on the hump) which would be perfect. But I'd hate to buy it and find out I can only get 4+2 in there instead.

Back