Weissbier Simple Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's nothing really wrong with my Franken wheat with wlp 400 every body has enjoyed it and it is easy to drink. Enjoying one right now. I am thinking of starting a culture of some trader joes mission street hefewiezen and the body color ect seem almost the same to me and I like the yeast in that one. I guess I could call forestone walker and ask them about if they are bottle conditioned or pasturized. But at 2 bucks a 22 I might as well drink one and dump yeast onto some dme and see if bubbles happen. Sorry for my ramblings. +>9000 for the simple/cheaper hefewiezen Ventucky's Finest[/QUOTE said:
I like the trader joes hefe, in fact after the first sip of my homebrew i said "wow this tates just like the trader joes version!"

Ha ha yeah I love me some 2 dollar 22's. I just looked at those posts and between using my phone to post and drinking a few too many beers I managed too butcher the post. I hope I didn't screw up the beer as bad as I screwed up the posts ha ha. Ne ways I just took a stab at culturing one of those mission street heffe's figuring that the 22 was half the price of the package of danstar munich from my lhbs and it comes with a beer and a 22 win win ;)

image-284368330.jpg

Boiled ~12 oz(volume) water with ~2 oz(weight) wheat dme and cooled in an ice bath then I poured that into a sanitized 24 (no hops so I figured green would be fine) and swirled and dumped the last few oz's of the beer into the mix. There was alot of yeast in the bottom so I am hopeful that something is still alive in there. I shook up the solution and covered with foil.

image-4209399041.jpg

I hope this works out if so I may pitch this into another batch of this yummy simple heffe in a few days.
Ventucky's Finest

Attachments

• image-3873293558.jpg
    image-3873293558.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 519
I saw Horizon hops in the Williams Brewing catalog, and it got my attention. It’s described as a “high alpha hop with a European noble character”. For boiling hops, it’s much cheaper than Saaz or other noble hops (considering the alpha acid). I ordered some for my next Bavarian Hefeweizen. Anybody have opinions or experience with this kind of substitution for a hefeweizen?

The partial version was a success. Kegged yesterday and came out pretty much the same as the extract version.

image-2269364970.jpg

Liked it so much I just racked another batch onto the yeast cake from this one right after kegging. Talk about vigorous bubbles/ blow off tube city!
Ventucky's
Finest

I brewed a second batch of this early this week even before I've tasted the end result of batch one. I rinsed yeast for the first time with batch one and fermentation really took off. I have high hopes for this batch.

I love having this beer around. I've brewed over 40gal of it, some got raspberries and I'm trying a banana Bread version this time ...

Cooked a batch of this and I have a question about it. I cooked everything right and when I cooled my wort I only got it down to like 87 degrees :( and then dropped the yeast in. I was planning to ferment it at 70 but the cabinet I put it in retained some heat so at about 18 hours into fermentation it was still like 80 degrees, so I put a fan on it and had it down to about about 70.

So here is my question. I just checked it after 8 days (Its a 10 day ferment process) and there is a lot of the malt and carbonation still sitting on top of the 5 gallon batch. I tasted it and it tastes like a very light hef, but not bad at all. I want to know if due to the temp problems did the yeast not feed on enough of the malt and thus cause it to be light in body and flavor? Does not taste bad, just light...

and there is a lot of the malt and carbonation still sitting on top of the 5 gallon batch

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that you have actual DME chunks floating on top of your beer? This batch produced a thick, healthy layer of krausen for me, as will just about anything using such a strong yeast strain. At around ~5% ABV this is going to be light anyway. If you want to increase mouthfeel, there are ways to go about that as well.

I just found out what krausen was and yes that is the stuff I was talking about. I am still new so I am constantly worrying about messing up. I thought I screwed up my last batch, a Stone Arrogant Bastard clone and it ended up tasting awesome! Thanks for the feedback, and if you have a sec, how could you make a beer like this one around 6% abv?

Just kegged my second batch of this and the FG reading on this was down to about 1.006. My first batch finished at 1.008. Both tasted great but was wondering where others' FG landed at. I used the original recipe OP posted and fermentation was around 66-68 deg F.

NineMilBill said:
Add about a pound more of DME. Remember that by adding fermentables, it gives the yeast more to eat, which increases alcohol.

I was thinking about adding another pound or so of extract but i wasnt sure what this would do, other than of course more abv... Like would it throw the flavor off at all or would it just make it a stronger abv beer? I rarely see heffes that are above 5%, is that just due to the typical style of the beer?

I don't see it throwing flavor "off" any - the sugar will be eaten from the extra pound (which isn't much) - and proper fermentation temperature control will ensure the yeast does it's job at imparting the classic Hefe flavor.

That being said, this recipe is incredibly easy to make, and everyone loves Hefeweizen. Make a batch Hooter's way, and another with the extra pound of DME - update us on the difference. My guess is you'll end up with 10 gallons of amazing Hefeweizen.

:mug:

I brewed this about three weeks ago using WLP300 and am extremely impressed with the result.

I'm thinking about brewing this again but using Sorachi Ace (.5 oz) and Saaz hops (.5 oz) and WLP380 yeast to get some citrus/clove flavors. Thoughts?

I brewed this about three weeks ago using WLP300 and am extremely impressed with the result.

I'm thinking about brewing this again but using Sorachi Ace (.5 oz) and Saaz hops (.5 oz) and WLP380 yeast to get some citrus/clove flavors. Thoughts?

That sounds awesome. Try a couple mini batches and see what they all taste like side by side.

I've brewed this faithfully to the ricipe 3 times now. I've can barely seem to get more than 10 bottles that make it to the 3 week bottling condition period....

I need to make a 10 gallon batch and then do some mini brews so that I can really enjoy it!

I'm brewing this tomorrow, and i'm using 4 Oz Carapils and 4 Oz Crystal 10 to steep and WLP380 Hefeweizen IV yeast since my LHBS was out if WLP300 and Carahell.

Hey, sorry for the double post, but I have a question regarding the hop pellets...

I use hop sacks so I don't have to run my wort through a strainer when going into my fermentor. The issue I had yesterday is that after my boil I chilled and transferred to fermentor as normal, but there was quite a bit of vegetal matter from the hop pellets in the bottom of my brew pot. I don't think I noticed it in time and poured some in to my bucket.

I know this is supposed to be a very lightly hopped, refreshing Hefe with around 14.6 IBUs (calculated on Hopville using the Rager formula), so will this negatively impact the flavor?

Thanks! I can't wait to drink this!

Hey, sorry for the double post, but I have a question regarding the hop pellets...

I use hop sacks so I don't have to run my wort through a strainer when going into my fermentor. The issue I had yesterday is that after my boil I chilled and transferred to fermentor as normal, but there was quite a bit of vegetal matter from the hop pellets in the bottom of my brew pot. I don't think I noticed it in time and poured some in to my bucket.

I know this is supposed to be a very lightly hopped, refreshing Hefe with around 14.6 IBUs (calculated on Hopville using the Rager formula), so will this negatively impact the flavor?

Thanks! I can't wait to drink this!

I've never strained/filtered this beer when I've made it and they have always tasted great to me. To be honest, the hops probably don't add much flavor during fermentation. They might add more aroma, but I wouldn't worry about it at all. Does anyone else agree?

I've never strained/filtered this beer when I've made it and they have always tasted great to me. To be honest, the hops probably don't add much flavor during fermentation. They might add more aroma, but I wouldn't worry about it at all. Does anyone else agree?

Same here. The hops that make it to the fermenter don't seem to hurt anything IMO.

Try cold crashing the beer after day 12 for a few days, this will help the heavier particles settle to the bottle of the fermentor. I cold crash just about all my beers, seems to make it taste better too.

Looks like I'll be making this one once my RIS is done in the fermenter in a few weeks. I'll be able to brew this July 1st, so it will be ready for a family vaca in August. It will have about 4 weeks to bottle condition, which sounds like that's a great time. Of course I'll have to bring some with me for a rafting trip the end of July.

Read through the entire thread and seems to be the real deal, so for my 2nd brew ever tonight im gonna make a batch of this. May put half of it with fruit during bottling to please the females and keep some for myself....

Brew shop had everything exactly as needed except the DME but they have a 60/40 Wheat/Barley DME that I got that should work just fine i think. And im going with a WLP300 since that seems to be getting good reviews in this thread ...

How much sugar are you guys using when priming?

I was looking at the TastyBrew.com priming calculator and for my American Amber it said 4.5oz which kind of matches up with some other things ive read...

But for a Bavarian Weizen it lists 8.6oz of corn sugar? Seems like a lot!

Just brewed a 2.5 gallon batch. Cant wait till its ready. Color looked good. Had to use Safebrew WB-06. Used 3 lbs. Briess Bavarian Wheat DME and did a 30 minute hop boil with German Tettang. Did find Carahell too (4 oz.).

So I made a 5 gallon batch of this and it was awesome! It was gone in less than 3 weeks. My question for the next batch is how do I get that clove/banana flavor and scent. This recipe is very clean and crisp, but lacks a bit of aroma and spice. GREAT recipe! Just want to see what your feedback is. Thanks

I brewed this yesterday, with an OG of 1.066. I added a few extra lbs of fermentables. :D
It's chugging along nicely.

I kegged mine on the third. Hydro sample tasted great, it was a little darker than i expected it to be, and I'm optimistic.

I kegged and am naturally carbonating, so it should be ready by the eighteenth. My OG was 1.042 and FG was 1.011.

Back