Weissbier Simple Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This turned out great! Originally had a huge bubblegum flavor from the Safbrew WB-06 i used along with the fact that it was mostly in the 80s when this was in the fermenter. After 3 weeks in bottles, though, the bubble gum flavor left and i came out with a great tasting, complex hefe that was really tasty. Really easy to make, too. Thanks for this recipe!

My brother and I brewed this up for the 4th of July. It was our first 5 gallon full boil, we ended up using a little too much water and our OG was a little on the low side. We also used WB-06 instead of the suggested yeast and fermented around 70. Fermented for two weeks, bottle conditioned for 2 weeks and it turned out great. We had a lot of great reviews and a bunch of requests to make more. Thanks for posting this recipe!

Just cracked open my first bottle; brewed this a little over 3 weeks ago. OMG I am finally proud of being a homebrewer! I used WP300 and made my first starter. Used a swamp cooler for the first time as well.

Thanks for a great, simple recipe!

Yup came out delicious, mine is just now getting good in the bottle probably 5 weeks after first brewing. I split into two seperate bottling buckets and did half with half the bottle(full bottle for 5gal) of blackberry extract and half with nothing.

Both came out really good, although i must say i really like the blackberry one more!

I had great results with this recipe! Thanks for posting it. I used Wyeast 3068. It's disappearing fast. :)

Bottled this up last night. I used 5 oz priming dex. OG 1.066 FG 1.015 - 6.68% abv. A little stronger than I was going for, but tasted great warm and flat. A lot of cloves, and almost has a belgain yeast smell/ taste with it also. I know this will turn out great in a few weeks all carbed up.

Bottled this up last night. I used 5 oz priming dex. OG 1.066 FG 1.015 - 6.68% abv. A little stronger than I was going for, but tasted great warm and flat. A lot of cloves, and almost has a belgain yeast smell/ taste with it also. I know this will turn out great in a few weeks all carbed up.

I brought down 36 bottles of this for our yearly family vacation. My parents, brothers, sister-in-law, and future sister-in-law, (and nephew, but he couldn't drink the beer since only 2 yrs old:cross:)

Everyone really enjoyed it. Drinking it after we got back from the beach, and for dinner if we made it at the house. My pregnant sister in law also had a small sip and was asking if there was lemon in it. There wasn't, only modification I did was adding a little more dme and some dex. We all behaved ourselves, and no one got drunk, but I'm sure there was some buzzing going on, since after 2 it gives me a good one. Thats the most we had in a day/ night anyway. I came home with 4 bottles last night and polished them off. :drunk:

This beer was a great success, and I was told to brew it up again, but I might add in some lemon zest and corrinader. Thanks Again for the simple recipe!

Just got home with everything needed to make this, thank God for a well-stocked LHBS. I know I should try this recipe as is before dicking with it but SWMBO loves a local apricot-hefe so I think that's what I'll try for with this batch. Is this a good base to work with?

In a blind taste test, SWMBO picked this over a commercial hefe. (Kellerweiss) She said it had more flavor and body. Funny thing is that she assumed the commercial beer was the one I brewed. :S

Mine went just went to bottles last week. The last sample to check gravity had a ton of clove and then hops on the back end. I didn't really have any banana or sweetness, it was super dry. While fermenting I kept it under 60 degrees for two weeks. I used 5 oz of priming sugar for 4.75 gallons. I really want to make sure it has enough carbonation without creating a firework show in the basement. Next time I'll use bombers so I can try to get close to 4 vol. of carbonation.

Hey guys, getting ready to make my second brew and have decided to try this Hefe. Was hoping for some help reguarding substitutions; I know my local beer store does not have Carahell. I've looked online, and from the threads I've come accross Crystal 10, Crystal20, or Carapils might work; anyone have an idea which of those, or even something I didn't list, would work better?

I'm also not 100% sure if they have the yeast listed; some alternatives I've seen on this thread are WLP300, Wyeast 3068 or wb-06. Any ideas on which of these would stay closest to style, or work best?

Thanks!

Hey guys, getting ready to make my second brew and have decided to try this Hefe. Was hoping for some help reguarding substitutions; I know my local beer store does not have Carahell. I've looked online, and from the threads I've come accross Crystal 10, Crystal20, or Carapils might work; anyone have an idea which of those, or even something I didn't list, would work better?

I'm also not 100% sure if they have the yeast listed; some alternatives I've seen on this thread are WLP300, Wyeast 3068 or wb-06. Any ideas on which of these would stay closest to style, or work best?

Thanks!

I've made several batches of hefeweizen without any carahell, crystal, etc, and I really liked the results. Has anybody else tried this?

I brewed a version of this last Sunday. OG was 1.046. Gravity today is 1.012 and right around where it's supposed to finish. If my gravity remains constant through the weekend should I go ahead and bottle it?

This is my first wheat so I'm wondering if there are any benefits or consequences for letting it sit until the 22nd which was my original planned bottling date.

Thanks!

The first time I did this brew, I used WLP300. I loved the results (as did everyone else who tried it!), and I'm about to make another batch with 300. :mug:

Brewed this recipe today with Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068 yeast, 6lbs DME and since they didn't have carahell, I used carapils... Probably could have skipped any grain addition, but figured a little real grain won't hurt (and only $1).

OG: 1.049 best as I could tell through the foam. Ought to be a nice Hefe when its done!

Rigged a blow off tube with a spare siphon tube I had and a carboy bung. It was a tight fit to get the tube in the bung, but it won't come out! Into an empty Makers Mark bourbon bottle filled halfway with left over spring water and a touch of cheap vodka.

Can't wait :D

The first time I did this brew, I used WLP300. I loved the results (as did everyone else who tried it!), and I'm about to make another batch with 300. :mug:

Ditto with the WLP300. I have read carahell is close to a crystal 20.

This recipe is really great, and still people are talking about it after drinking all of it in less than a week, on our family vaca. Adding lemon peel and coriander next time.

I've brewed this twice when I've wanted something quick to fill a keg - and because it tastes great and I can brew up a batch in a couple hours on a week night!

So I pitched yeast today at 12:30pm, and I get home at midnight, not the big mess everyone posts? Then again, my Kolsch was the same way, everyone says get ready for blow off, I get just a lil krausen.

Of course, it was only 12 hours. I know another 12 hours could mean insanity...dry yeast is like that for me, no activity for 18 hours or so then poof 6gal carboy is full.

Now to order ingredients/kit for a good American Stout...

nymtber said:
So I pitched yeast today at 12:30pm, and I get home at midnight, not the big mess everyone posts? Then again, my Kolsch was the same way, everyone says get ready for blow off, I get just a lil krausen.

Of course, it was only 12 hours. I know another 12 hours could mean insanity...dry yeast is like that for me, no activity for 18 hours or so then poof 6gal carboy is full.

Now to order ingredients/kit for a good American Stout...

Give it 18 hours...

Give it 18 hours...

I retract my previous statement. 24 hours later, its bubbling like MAD in the blow off bottle, and the krausen is nearing the neck of the carboy fast!

Fermentation has been the neatest thing about homebrewing for me. I love watching it (for a few moments here and there anyway). It is also the one part of brewing I have gotten decent at, learned a lot along the way! Only about 6/7 batches into homebrewing, but I have learned a lot in those...The first batch was even pretty good and got many rave reviews from family/friends. One batch has gone ick, and I know why (some idiot pitched s-04 at 85degrees...because he was in a hurry...)

I brewed this last weekend, and it has been fermenting in the primary for a week now but I'd like to add some canned apricot with it in the secondary. The ingredients on the canned apricots are: "Apricots, water, corn syrup, sugar."
Can I just heat the can, puree the apricots and funnel them in the secondary? Also, does two 15 oz cans sound like too much?

MicahB said:
I brewed this last weekend, and it has been fermenting in the primary for a week now but I'd like to add some canned apricot with it in the secondary. The ingredients on the canned apricots are: "Apricots, water, corn syrup, sugar."
Can I just heat the can, puree the apricots and funnel them in the secondary? Also, does two 15 oz cans sound like too much?

Flavor wise no, but I imagine that is a lot of extra sugars to throw in. Can you find frozen apricots that aren't sitting in corn syrup?

Just to say this was The best resulting brew I've done so far. Thanks for the recipe, it tastes great.

Any ideas on how to do this with All grain? I made an extract batch of this that came out good, and a friend ones some more so i was going to try to make him this with AG.

Or a similar recipe thats AG?

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and I've learned a lot already reading everything I can about brewing. My first official brew was this Simple Hefeweizen. I cracked open my first bottle today (7 days old). WOW! Very nice! Smooth, flavorful, very little bitter aftertaste. Just like everyone else has said- I will definitely be brewing this one again! I think I need to give it more time in the bottle to increase the carbonation. It was real bubbly but then flattened before I finished it. Thanks for the great recipe! What a nice start to my brewing experience. Next up is the Belgian Tripel!

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and I've learned a lot already reading everything I can about brewing. My first official brew was this Simple Hefeweizen. I cracked open my first bottle today (7 days old). WOW! Very nice! Smooth, flavorful, very little bitter aftertaste. Just like everyone else has said- I will definitely be brewing this one again! I think I need to give it more time in the bottle to increase the carbonation. It was real bubbly but then flattened before I finished it. Thanks for the great recipe! What a nice start to my brewing experience. Next up is the Belgian Tripel!

Welcome to HBT - and congrats.

Excellent! It'll get better in a few weeks, but drink it fast! Welcome to the brewing community!

I'm going to try this one- Extract - Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone). I've tried some Tripels from our Total Wine store (awesome selection!) so I want to try to make one. I may also try this quad later- Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - if there is an extract version. I love this beer! Have you made any that you like?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been drinking my "simple hefeweizen" brew since...sept now. VERY good, will absolutely brew this again! I gave a 6 pack to a guy I work with that went to Germany last fall, coming back with a love for hefe. He said he felt my homebrew was better and fresher (obviously) than what we have available here, which is actually a good selection.

I will, needless to say, be making this again come spring. Not before I make Kolsch again :)

loubie, thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll try that one in 2013. Haven't done a tripel, but last night I bottled my dubbel (Northern Brewer kit, decided to try one of theirs). Tasted nice without carbonation.
-bill

Just brewed a dead simple hefe today. I added a half pound of carafoam to see if that helps with head retention at all; mostly I was just curious what would happen.

HOOTER said:
5 lbs. Briess Bavarian wheat DME

8 oz. Carahell

1 oz. Tettnanger (4%)

Danstar Munich

Steep grains for 20 min. @ 155f. Bring to boil and add 2 lbs. extract and Tettnanger hops. Add 3 lbs. extract with 10 minutes remaining in the boil. Ferment for 10 days, keg at about 4 volumes (or bottle) and enjoy. (Full boil recommended). Nothing fancy here, just a very easy and quick Hefe that manages to disappear rapidly. It's almost too simple to post but My friends and I dig this beer so much I figured it might be worth sharing. Fermenting in the mid 60's makes for a very clean American style Hefe but my last batch fermented around 70 and is much closer to a true Bavarian style. This yeast has always fermented very vigorously for me so use a blowoff tube. Enjoy :mug:

Hey, thanks for the recipe. I used something similar but 6# wheat dme, a little different steeping grains and wlp 380 ( American hefe ale). I was thinking of doing a twist with dry hopping it with mosaic and citra. Think this will be good? I was gonna use 2 oz, not sure it that's too much or if that would be great!

Only been carbing in the keg for 5 days... I couldn't wait any longer.. amazing light wheat taste.. not fully carbed yet on my end but what a fantastic, easy, cheap brew.. this will always be on one of my taps year round.. cheers

I'm deffinitely gonna make this one. I'm changeing the carahell for honey malt and I might add some honey to the kettle, not sure yet.

-Kingboomer

Back