Simcoe Hops, To Boil or Dry Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james4242

Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions. I'm going to make a Kolsch kit from my LHBS, and I'd like to add Simcoe hops to it in addition to the hops that came with the kit.

I think the Simcoe will be good with the recipe, but Im not sure when to add them. Should I add them in the last 15 minutes of the boil, should I dry hop for a couple of days, or should I do both?

Depends what you're looking to accomplish. You'll get a little bit of bitterness and some of the flavor (in addition to aroma) if you do a 15 minute boil. Add at flame-out and you'll get a bit of flavor and aroma. You'll get strictly aroma as a dry hop.

Now there's the problem, I'm really not sure which I'd prefer with this one. I've never used these before, and haven't been tweaking kits for very long either.

I'm currently leaning toward adding 0.5oz in the last 15 mins of the boil, and doing another 0.5oz in the secondary. Though this may change depending on opinions expressed here. :)

Which hops and how much of them come with the kit? What is the schedule?

Simcoe is very pronounced and may overpower more subtle ones.

Well, Simcoe is a pretty high-alpha hop so if it's in the boil, you will get a more bitter beer.

What is it you're looking to do? Do you like the smell from Simcoe specifically or are you just trying to add a little something extra?

A good time table to start with is:
30+ minutes = bittering
15-20 minutes = flavor
0-10 minutes = aroma

Here's a pretty nice chart with some descriptions for various common hop types that I referrence pretty frequently:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/hops

The kit came with Spalt hops, and calls for 1oz for 60 mins, and 0.5oz for 20 mins.

The guy at my LHBS said that the Simcoe could be used in place of the second Spalt or in addition to it.

I really like the smell of the Simcoe. That said, I think that the additional bitterness could be really good in the Kolsch.

You could do secret option C:

Replace the 20 minute spalt addition with a 15 minute simcoe addition, then dry hop with the 0.5oz of spalt. Granted, I've never dry hopped with spalt before, but it could be nice.

Back