Silly kegging story: this is impossible!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
The events described below happened to me. But they are physically impossible.

I kegged a batch of guiness stout clone. Since the kegs were new to me, i gave them my standard first time cleaning. Removed the beer and gas posts, dropped them into a small container of starsan. Removed the dip tubes, inspected the seals, ran star san through inside and out, reassembled the posts putting keg lube at each point with a rubber seal. Rinsed out the inside of the keg with starsan. Siphoned the beer into the keg, sealed it up, hit it with 12# of co2, set it in the corner until I free up a carbing spot in my Keezer.

A few weeks later, I kick my first keg. Rotate the carbing keg to the serving position, move the guiness keg to the carbing position, put on the 12# gas line. All is good.

A few weeks later, I kick my next keg, time to serve up the Guiness. When I open the tap, nothing comes out. Like there is no keg connected. I verify the beer line runs to the selected tap. Whe I remove the beer line, beer starts dribbling beer out of the keg post. OK, there's a leak in the seal. Pop the beer line back on. Still no beer out of the tap. Pull and depressurize the keg. Pull out the beer post. Some moron forgot to reinstall the poppet spring!!!

Steal a poppet spring from an empty keg. Reinstall, I'm drinkin Guiness.

Heres' what I don't understand. Its pretty obvious that the beer poppet was held in place initially by the keg lube and later by the continuous 12# of pressure. What I don't understand is why the post was completely occluded when I tapped it with the ball lock fitting on the end of the beer line. It should have dribbled out at least a little foam from the flow disruptions caused by the out of position poppet. How could this situation have possibly resulted in "no beer at all"? I tried flowing the tap twice before discovering my error.

Everytime I dont get anything at all out of my faucet its cause the line it frozen somewhere along the line...starsan freezes easier than beer it turns out

The ball lock fitting has a pin that pushes the poppet down, which is mounted on it's internal valve. Once the poppet spring is compressed, that pin is then pushed up into the disconnect to open the ball-lock connector's internal valve. With no spring, the poppet gets pushed in, but can be pushed in further than normal, so there's nothing to push back against the disconnect pin, the ball-lock disconnect's valve doesn't open, and beer can't get into the line.

You can test the operation of the ball-lock's internal seal if you don't mind wasting some of the beer in the line - disconnect the ball-lock from the keg. Nothing will come out of the disconnect. Now open the tap, then push the pin down with the end of your finger. Voila, you have a finger covered in beer.

Everytime I dont get anything at all out of my faucet its cause the line it frozen somewhere along the line...starsan freezes easier than beer it turns out

lol been there before. happens almost every time when i have starsan in the line.

Heres' what I don't understand. Its pretty obvious that the beer poppet was held in place initially by the keg lube and later by the continuous 12# of pressure. What I don't understand is why the post was completely occluded when I tapped it with the ball lock fitting on the end of the beer line. It should have dribbled out at least a little foam from the flow disruptions caused by the out of position poppet. How could this situation have possibly resulted in "no beer at all"? I tried flowing the tap twice before discovering my error.

The quick disconnect has a poppet too. You can get to it by screwing the top of the disconnect off. always sanitize the inside of these as well.

Like this
$T2eC16F,!zkFJC9gF,,8BSQvh9ZC,!~~60_1.JPG

Last edited:
The ball lock fitting has a pin that pushes the poppet down, which is mounted on it's internal valve. Once the poppet spring is compressed, that pin is then pushed up into the disconnect to open the ball-lock connector's internal valve. With no spring, the poppet gets pushed in, but can be pushed in further than normal, so there's nothing to push back against the disconnect pin, the ball-lock disconnect's valve doesn't open, and beer can't get into the line.

You can test the operation of the ball-lock's internal seal if you don't mind wasting some of the beer in the line - disconnect the ball-lock from the keg. Nothing will come out of the disconnect. Now open the tap, then push the pin down with the end of your finger. Voila, you have a finger covered in beer.

I'll be damned. I had no idea. Thanks for that!

SonofaB. I had no idea. not THAT makes sense!!!

The quick disconnect has a poppet too. You can get to it by screwing the top of the disconnect off. always sanitize the inside of these as well.

Like this
$T2eC16F,!zkFJC9gF,,8BSQvh9ZC,!~~60_1.JPG

One tip I have is to take apart all quick disconnects over a piece of white paper towel. Sometimes that o-ring disappears- it sticks in the QD, or it falls right out and down the drain. If you take it apart over a white towel, all four pieces are apparent. It keeps things from being lost.

Back