Silicon caps for ends of fly sparge equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhommedieu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have this fly sparge device that works well, but the little plastic caps keep falling off. The tube is quite narrow and is hollow; without the caps the arm stops spinning and the water just comes out of both ends - instead of building pressure inside the tube and spinning as the water sprays out of the tiny holes in the tube.

I'm trying to source silicon caps that are approximately the same size, as well as a method for attaching them? Something like this, for example. Someone suggested hot glue but I am wondering if a high-temp silicon cement would work as well?

11129639_755085664588587_7536417333715078792_n.jpg

Yeah - the problem with the caps is that the water pressure forces them off. Plugs will work better in lieu of caps that are not glued on.

You can use a silicone caulk like what is used for shower stalls. I have some in a few places in my brewery and never had any problems. Mine are only on the water side. Not wort.

You can use a silicone caulk like what is used for shower stalls. I have some in a few places in my brewery and never had any problems. Mine are only on the water side. Not wort.

just quirt the silicone right into the ends of the tube, no need for the caps. Just give it plenty of time to cure. Probably a few days.

Sure - IF - you use the silicon caulk for an aquarium. You can buy that at a Petco, or some other fish store. I have seen people use the kind you put in your shower - please don't use that! You are going to drink this golden liquid, right?

Back