Sparge Water Heater Converted to AIO BIAB Unit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klr

Reaction score
I've often wondered if a sparge water heater or a large coffee urn could be converted into a small Digiboil/Brewzilla/Mash&Boil type all in one unit. So when the Grainfather sparge water heater went on sale for $50 this summer I jumped on it.

First I removed the valve and sight glass assembly. I wanted to see how cheaply I could get by, so I cut the plastic valve apart and used the steel part that attaches to the unit. I then got a piece of silicone tubing and inserted it in the metal part and then stuck a piece of slightly flared copper pipe into the silicone tubing to jam everything together. The free end of the silicone tubing fits into the upper ring left behind after I removed the sight glass. To empty the unit I just lower the silicone tubing into my fermenter. So far, so good but I'm keeping an eye on it.

Next I wrapped the unit with a couple of layers of 1/4" insulation.

Finally, I bought materials and sewed a brew bag.

I've brewed twice with it and it works great. It easily gives a nice rolling 60 minute boil. I'm using 4 gallons of water and 5 lbs of grain for about 3.25 gallons into the fermenter. There is room for a larger grain bill.

I don't put the bag in while it is heating. I get the water up to temp and then put the bag and grain in. During mash, I check the temp every 20 minutes. If it needs a few degrees I hold the bag off the floor and dunk it up and down while letting the unit heat for a minute or so.

I'll update this thread if/when this unit craps out so we'll know if it was a stupid idea or not.

Attachments

• Converted Sparge WH.jpg
    Converted Sparge WH.jpg
    961.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Valve1.jpg
    Valve1.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Valve2.jpg
    Valve2.jpg
    654.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Valve3.jpg
    Valve3.jpg