Sierra Nevada Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daholl01

Reaction score
My local grocery just started to carry this and I wanted to hear peoples comment on Sierra Nevada Porter. I love their Pale Ale and love Celebration Ale, but am curious to know if Sierra Nevada is as good at making a darker ale.

Yes, at least those times I've had it. I think of Sierra Nevada as the bride's maid of ale. It's been everywhere and it's always for sale!

great brew in my book! SN is a reliable brewery if you aren't looking to knocked out with excellence. A solid B grade, not the best in class, but no slouch.

Other than their Pale Ale every beer I have tried from Sierra Nevada has a wierd cardboard taste to it. I think maybe the porter and stout could benefit from aging. I used to love their Celebration Ale until '06 when I got some bottled poison from them. I tried the '07 Celebration and while it was not up to previous years standards it was some pretty good beer. The OL plowed thru 2 cases over the holiday. Good enough that I am putting a 12 pak away until next Thanksgiving.
AP

Wow just checked back to this thread and it took off a little bit yesterday.

Based on the reviews I will definitely try the porter and hopefully the stout (havent seen it yet) in the near future. I do really respect Sierra Nevada as a great brewing company just from having their Pale and Celebration. In my opinion, their Pale may set the standard of APAs.

Thanks Everyone.

Back