Sierra Nevada clone is low on numbers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naptown

Reaction score
OG 1.035, FG 1.006 gives me approx 3.8%. I know the OG was LOW, what could have happened? This was my first AG batch. I had an experienced brewer help me and everything went pretty well.

I feel like I'm drinking o'douls.

Did you hit your target volume? At what stage did you take your reading?

Did you hit your target volume? At what stage did you take your reading?

I took the OG after I cooled it, it was approx 70 degrees. (I know that will add a bit, being that hydro is calibrated around 60 degrees).

Your mash efficiency must have been crap. When I used to mash with the milled grain from the LHBS my efficiency was terrible, around 55%. Now that I mill my own grain with a Barley Crusher my efficiency on my last 3 batches have all been 80%!

Your mash efficiency must have been crap. When I used to mash with the milled grain from the LHBS my efficiency was terrible, around 55%. Now that I mill my own grain with a Barley Crusher my efficiency on my last 3 batches have all been 80%!

That's what I assumed, I just don't get it. I have done 2 other AG batches and my numbers were much better (partly from upping my grain bill).

52 quart chest freezer, stainless steel braid mash tun. I put a couple of foil pie pans on top and slowly scoop the sparge water in. Anything sound totally out of line?

That's what I assumed, I just don't get it. I have done 2 other AG batches and my numbers were much better (partly from upping my grain bill).

52 quart chest freezer, stainless steel braid mash tun. I put a couple of foil pie pans on top and slowly scoop the sparge water in. Anything sound totally out of line?

Did you ever figure out what kind of grain efficiency you are extracting with that setup? I have heard bad things about using the braided line instead of an actual manifold in the mash tun but can't see how it would effect it much.

What about grain crush? Do you mill your own? My LHBS mills it so course that half of the grains are only broken in half, not crushed and that caused me real problems.

Did you ever figure out what kind of grain efficiency you are extracting with that setup?

What about grain crush? Do you mill your own? My LHBS mills it so course that half of the grains are only broken in half, not crushed and that caused me real problems.

Not sure on efficiency. Don't even know how to calculate that.

LHBS mills it for me.

I use a stainless steel braid and consistently get around 75% eff. I doubt it's that. I bet it's the crush. How many pounds of grain did you use? Recipe details help

1. Have you calibrated your hydrometer by measuring what it reads in 60F water?
It's not unusual for them to read a few points off. I got a supposedly precision finishing hydrometer that only read up to 1.020 on the scale, and it was 5 points off.
2. Did you add any top up water, and if so, did you stir it really well before taking the gravity sample? If you did top off and the wort was not adequately mixed, you could have taken a sample of diluted wort.
3. I'm puzzled by your description of the sparge. You say you slowly ladled the sparge water into the MLT? If so, were you draining the wort out as you were adding the sparge water? If you were, then you were fly sparging, and this does not work well with a braid.

If you added all the sparge water before starting to drain (batch sparging), I cannot understand the reason for slowly ladling water onto pie pans. If you were fly sparging, I would suggest doing a batch sparge. After the mash, vorlauf and drain all the runnings quickly, then add the sparge water (do this quickly) and then stir really well. Then vorlauf and drain the second runnings quickly. This should give you very much better efficiency than trying to fly sparge in a rectangular cooler with a braid.

-a.

Back